Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If GAGB only does 1 thing this year what should it

Chris n Maria Guest

Time to say what is most important to you about the Associations aims - which one is most important to you ?

The Merman Guest

"Liasing with local and national land-owning bodies, agreeing mutually beneficial guidelines so that caching on their land is approved and encouraged."

I think the more caches that are placed the more important it is to have the approval of the land owners.

A recent cache placed in Hampshire highlights this fact.

Two cachers who work for the new Air traffic control centre in Swanwick sought and received permission to place a cache in the wildlife reserve area that has been set up there.

There is no ambiguity about it, permission sought permission granted, the cache will not be a future problem.

We are not all in the privileged position of being to liase with our bosses, so that is where a National Association comes in.

Kouros Guest

Completely agree with Merman. Nothing more to add.

The Bennett Family Guest

I agree, Merman seems to have covered it.

Not so long ago we were caught by a landowner 'red handed' whilst we were putting back a cache we had found.
    He wasn't very happy at all, not because he objected to the cache itself but more because permission hadn't been sought for it.

I didn't feel comfortable at all, & all I could do was to promise to E-mail the cache placer & offer to remove the cache if he so wished (he didn't)
    I didn't point him in the direction of geocaching.com site because at the end of the day it's just a listing service (albeight a damned good one - no criticism implied here)
    It would have been nice to point him in the direction of a (UK based&#33 association for reassurance.

Gaz.

Love the forums by the way, very tasteful

Just managed to get in. It was a bit of a struggle, what with forgotten passwords and the like but for better or worse... yer stuck with me. (I hope it's for the better )

If GAGB manage to achieve just one national, or even local, agreement then it will have been worthwile.
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

I agree. I think if the association can:
    - rebuild the fractured links with the forestry commision
    - and the HCC
    - and other major land owners around the country

then it will benefit everyone.

The other thing I would like to see in the first year, in fact as soon as possible, is the election of officials who are capable of negotiating professionally with such landowners to the benefit of all members.
    Rich

Paul G0TLG Guest

Nothing to add other than that I agree...let's get those formal approvals and some proper relations with land managers.

Paul G0TLG

Aahhhhhhhhh!

What pleasant mutterings. . .

I agree with them all.

Good luck and thanks for the forum!

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee :lol:

Motley Crew Guest

Merman Chris seems to have it just about right.

I would like to see an emphasis on the word 'guidlines' being used throughout. In my view it implies that things are there to help people - which seems friendlier and more encouraging than the 'rules' word. (I hope that make sense&#33

I'm thinking there must be a lot of cachers similar to the 2 cachers mentioned by Merman who sought and received permission to place a cache on land managed by their employers. Therefore it would also be ideal if it is made clear that there is no intention to interfere with an individuals negotiations with a potential site owner.

Well done GAGB, good luck for the future.

(Not sure about the logo :unsure: )

The Bennett Family Guest

(Not sure about the logo)
    We quite like it.

On the subject of the logo are there any rules about using it?

Usual stuff, can I stick it on my website etc...

Cheers.

Originally posted by The Bennett Family@Jun 6 2003, 11:35 PM
    (Not sure about the logo)
    We quite like it.

On the subject of the logo are there any rules about using it?

Usual stuff, can I stick it on my website etc...

Cheers.
    As you are a member I think you should feel free to put the GAGB logo on your website. It would be good if you could link back to this site too, so that people visiting your site and seeing the logo can easily find out what it is all about.
    Rich

Team Hydro Guest

This is all very calm here. I like it! Thankyou to everyone who has made this possible. I too would like to see elected reps, they may well be the people facilitating everything now, but if they are elected then surely that will give them more clout!?

Originally posted by Team Hydro@Jun 6 2003, 11:57 PM
    This is all very calm here. I like it! Thankyou to everyone who has made this possible. I too would like to see elected reps, they may well be the people facilitating everything now, but if they are elected then surely that will give them more clout!?
    Maybe some of those who originally had a problem with the setting up of a Geocaching Association would do a little better if they actually became involved in the setting up, and running, of the {new} Association, thereby removing any possibility of them saying it was done without their approval, etc...

Maybe some of the points they have are valid, but just the way they are trying to put over their ideas is distorted by the medium of Internet... :

You never know. Some of their brighter ideas could be the ones we'll need in the future.
    One day my sigline will stop changing.
    Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!".

marinor Guest

Its aims are to establish good practice, provide a focal point for public liaison and support the growth and enjoyment of Geocaching in harmony with the law and environment.

I think the website homepage says it all.

Originally posted by Pharisee@Jun 6 2003, 07:05 PM
    Just managed to get in. It was a bit of a struggle, what with forgotten passwords and the like <snip>
    Sorry Pharisee and any others who found this a bit of a pain.

We had two choices, the way we did it, or ask everybody to start all over.

So, we sat down and did all the donkey work.

Sorry also for going "off topic".