Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camping Event controversy

So does that mean no more flash mob events as generally you are expected to be there for 15 minutes, or an event that requires you to climb a hill as that to will take time.
    Well, if the event -and log book- are at the top of the hill, and it takes two hours to get there, what's to stop people signing the log and leaving?

They've spent two hours on the event... even if only a minute at the event.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Simply Paul Guest

When (if?) I get my event at the top of Ben Nevis (It'll be another extreme event- and the trigpoint on top is as high as you can get in UK without bringing a stepladder up the hill with you) it will be open to all. You don't even have to climb the mountain if you don't want to; I'd be happy to let the logs of helicopter passengers, parachutists and people who'd simply been carried up on piggyback stand

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Paul View Post
    When (if?) I get my event at the top of Ben Nevis (It'll be another extreme event- and the trigpoint on top is as high as you can get in UK without bringing a stepladder up the hill with you) it will be open to all. You don't even have to climb the mountain if you don't want to; I'd be happy to let the logs of helicopter passengers, parachutists and people who'd simply been carried up on piggyback stand
    LOL
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Unhappy

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with the majority on this one.

I believe that event caches should be open to all wherever possible and that the only barriers to that should be real, not artificial.

If an event is held at the summit of a mountain, then the barrier is a real one in that to attend you must reach the coordinates of the event at the summit which would normally require a minimum level of physical ability (unless there's a railway!).

Anyone with access to some form of transport should be able to reach any campsite so there is no 'absolute' physical barrier preventing all those who wish to from attending. Preventing those who are unable or unwiling to camp (for health reasons, for example) from attending is an artificial barrier.

If a campsite won't allow day visitors, find one that will.

As a newcomer to the sport, I thought that event caches were supposed to be an excuse to catch up with old friends, meet new ones, have a few laughs and, perhaps, convince those who are on the shy side to try camping in future....

I had assumed that event caches were intended to be as inclusive and welcoming as possible.

It appears from reading the posts in this topic that those who have been in the hobby for the longest disagree, which is a shame.

The camping do's I've been to are certainly welcoming to all, and I've tried to make my camping events as open and friendly as possible. However, the workaround was requested cos it's getting difficult!! Ie, for Piratemania 2009 the MUST-HAVE criteria for a suitable campsite will probably be :

Is the site loosely in the midlands, ie no further N than Manc and no further S than Oxford?
    Do they take rallies?
    Are they free from Fri 31 Jul to Sun 2 Aug for potentially 100 pitches?
    Are they ok with a bit of noise?
    Are they reasonably priced?
    Is the area good for caching?
    Is the area ripe for a new cache series?
    Will the site handle payments and bookings direct?
    Tents AND caravans?
    Hookup?
    Can we take over a whole field for ourselves, so that we are all together?
    etc etc.

To find a site that allows all the above is difficult enough, then on top of it to expect the site to allow an unlimited amount of day visitors for free leaves you with probably zero campsites in practice.

So, as a backup, ideally I'd want a pub nearby that could serve food for 200 people + in the space of a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon!

I'll try - as most event setters do - but can't promise that it's doable!

Anyway it seems like its a null debate now, TPTB have spoken and whilst rules are there to be discussed, it's not going to happen at the present moment.

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post
    The camping do's I've been to are certainly welcoming to all, and I've tried to make my camping events as open and friendly as possible. However, the workaround was requested cos it's getting difficult!! Ie, for Piratemania 2009 the MUST-HAVE criteria for a suitable campsite will probably be :

Is the site loosely in the midlands, ie no further N than Manc and no further S than Oxford?
    Do they take rallies?
    Are they free from Fri 31 Jul to Sun 2 Aug for potentially 100 pitches?
    Are they ok with a bit of noise?
    Are they reasonably priced?
    Is the area good for caching?
    Is the area ripe for a new cache series?
    Will the site handle payments and bookings direct?
    Tents AND caravans?
    Hookup?
    Can we take over a whole field for ourselves, so that we are all together?
    etc etc.

To find a site that allows all the above is difficult enough, then on top of it to expect the site to allow an unlimited amount of day visitors for free leaves you with probably zero campsites in practice.

So, as a backup, ideally I'd want a pub nearby that could serve food for 200 people + in the space of a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon!

I'll try - as most event setters do - but can't promise that it's doable!

Anyway it seems like its a null debate now, TPTB have spoken and whilst rules are there to be discussed, it's not going to happen at the present moment.
    You don't need to find a pub, you could always nominate a location and time for a picnic. That meets the open to all element

But the really big question hmy: is

When did Manchester relocate into the Midlands?:wacko: I was born in Manchester City Center, and it's always been in the North West of England
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post
    If you find a suitable site but it doesn't allow day visitors then it's open to all anyway. It might just be a bit more expensive for those that have to book a pitch and not use it because they don't/can't do camping but love going to camping events.

Unless the rule is that it has to be not only open to all but also free?

I can't see the "picnic" being an ideal solution: it sounds harder to arrange than a pub (bearing in mind that it's likely to be raining!).

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    If you find a suitable site but it doesn't allow day visitors then it's open to all anyway. It might just be a bit more expensive for those that have to book a pitch and not use it because they don't/can't do camping but love going to camping events.

Unless the rule is that it has to be not only open to all but also free?

I can't see the "picnic" being an ideal solution: it sounds harder to arrange than a pub (bearing in mind that it's likely to be raining!).
    Needs to be open to all and free. Here is a question I put to GS, and their answer:

Q The one remaining issue is where the camp site does not allow casual visitors on the site for security reasons. Therefore to attend you would have to register at the camp site (whether you stay or not is up to the individual).

A If they allow the person to enter for free it is not a problem. Regestration by itself is not an issue. To have to pay to camp to attend when you are not camping is an issue.

so the situation is that an event MUST be free to attend for everyone - which rules out every event anywhere in the world apart from within, say, 5 miles of my house (or london, as I can use my travel card...) it certainly rules out events where I have to pay to stay overnight...

And less extreme, no more pub events, as I can't imagine many pubs would be happy to allow 50 cachers to make use of the place without paying. Obviously, this includes all the Xmas events that might be in planning for this year...

So why exactly must an event be free from ANY additional costs? As long as it doesn't get silly (event at the Savoy Grill anyone?) then does anyone mind stumping up a small amount of cache (sorry, cash) for the privilege of eating or sleeping somewhere?

grrrr

nobbynobbs Guest

It would probably be cheaper to go to the Savoy Grill for a meal event than it would be for me to buy all the gear and drive to Ben Nevis and then walk up it.

I'm inclined to see both sides of the argument but if forced to choose I'd say that so what if it costs something, it's like any cache, it's not compulsory you don't have to go if you don't like the price.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gerrie View Post
    so the situation is that an event MUST be free to attend for everyone -
    No. Apparently not. It's fine to make people pay a small charge to cover any out of pocket expenses you might incur. :wacko::
    I don't know if you'd be obliged to let in anybody that turned up without money, and could prove somehow that they were completely insolvent...... lol

Fluffy's Revenge Guest

Dear Sirs,

I, like many others, have a morbid fear of meeting other cachers and do all I can to avoid it.

I see there are some event caches that I would like to attend but have been advised that no facility is provided for those who do not wish to meet other cachers. We are therefore being excluded and I understand this is, sensibly, prohibited by the rules.

Who can I ask to do something about it?

Yours respectfully,

Fluffy

You simply have to complain to the local reviewer and the event will be stopped...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy's Revenge View Post
    Dear Sirs,
    I, like many others, have a morbid fear of meeting other cachers and do all I can to avoid it.
    You've met the Hornet then? :lol::lol:

Nice post.

Fluffy's Revenge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    You simply have to complain to the local reviewer and the event will be stopped...
    Thanks you for your rapid reply,

Not being one to complain it appears I am twice excluded.

Maybe there is someone who is not so restricted and is happy to complain on my behalf. Do you know of anyone I might approach?

Fluffy

Dear Sirs,

I see there are some event caches that I would like to attend but have been advised that no facility is provided for those who do not wish to meet other cachers. We are therefore being excluded and I understand this is, sensibly, prohibited by the rules.

Who can I ask to do something about it?

Yours respectfully,

Fluffy
    Dear Fluffy

I understand your dilemma. Not enough consideration is giving to accommodating cacherphobics like yourself at events.
    With this in mind I would suggest a new guideline for Event caches whereby the organiser is obliged to provide a large, robust golfing umbrella and a minimum of 20m of that red-striped Police cordon tape (suitably inscribed "Do not cross. Cacherphobics only beyond this point") and metal stakes for the erection of the barrier. In this way you will be able to attend any caching event but remain in stately isolation throughout.

I would hope that all other attending geocachers would be happy to avoid your self-restricted area.

Yours etc...

P.S. I have set up a special table (with a screen around it) especially for you in the GAGB Pub "Moan into your pint" thread.
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 24th October 2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: To add an afterthought...

keehotee Guest

Thanks you for your rapid reply,

Not being one to complain it appears I am twice excluded.

Maybe there is someone who is not so restricted and is happy to complain on my behalf. Do you know of anyone I might approach?

Fluffy
    With people such as yourself in mind, last time I organised an event I designated an area of open moorland half a mile from the event itself specifically for eventophobes. So as not to draw attention (and attendees) to this special place, I even made sure not to mention it on the event page.
    I'm fairly certain that at least one other event holder has set up similar locations in the past.......

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    With people such as yourself in mind, last time I organised an event I designated an area of open moorland half a mile from the event itself specifically for eventophobes. So as not to draw attention (and attendees) to this special place, I even made sure not to mention it on the event page.
    I'm fairly certain that at least one other event holder has set up similar locations in the past.......
    Consideration taken above and beyond the call of GSP Guidelines...

Well done that man! :cheers:

Fluffy's Revenge Guest

Dear Mrs Blorenge,

If I may say so I find your reply to be silly in the extreme.

Anyone who knows me will appreciate that I could not possibly attend anything with any association with the Police, are you trying to deliberately make me feel an outsider?

A friend has emailed me directly to accusing me of missing the point. She thinks that everyone is invited but it is up to individuals to choose to attend events that appeal, to them not that every event must appeal to all cachers. However ,she is blonde.

Fluffy

PS I would like to use your “Moan into your Pint” thread but it excludes cheerful Pink Gin drinkers.

Default Getting back to the Camping Event controversy...

Dear Fluffy,

As I feel that you/we have taken this thread "off topic"* I will continue with the Geo-Social advice over in the GAGB Pub section, otherwise one of those nice GAGB Mods might have to step in here with a swift clip around the lughole to set us straight again.

When it comes to camping Events you only need to half-close the giant golfing umbrella and voila! c'est un teepee (or maybe a téepée).

I'm sorry that you took my reference to Police tape the wrong way - no offence was intended - maybe you would prefer them on CD? I could lend you one...

<MrsB moves to the GAGB Pub>

*Did you like that Mod-awareness comment?
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 24th October 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Fluffy's Revenge Guest

Now you've stolen my punchline!

Fluffy

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
    You've met the Hornet then? :lol::lol:

Nice post.
    Actually no. My advice to to find a nice damp bridge and look underneath it. You're unlikely to find an event there but maybe you'll find a like minded cacher there.