I have a query regarding what would be deemed best practice.

I'm fairly new to geocaching, with only 35 finds since the end of jan this year, and have only just now started to think of placing my own caches in my local area.

One of the caches I almost found (I found it, but it was meant to have 3 pre-req stages before you could open the padlock, so I didn't sign the log etc) was archived due to the placer moving away, before I could complete the other stages. The location is excellent, is on public land, and has some good scenery. As such it's a typical ideal site.

I emailed the placer a few months ago enquiring over putting a new cache at the site but heard nothing. I was wondering what the best practice is, a new cache would mean people would have to return to the location to sign the log. However the cache might be different, EG, the original was a tupperware box, the new one might be a camouflaged micro, providing a new challenge!

Any thoughts on this, should I perhaps seeks a nearby location that is in the area but not the exact same spot maybe?