Thanks Thanks:  23

Thread: GAGB annual elections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default GAGB annual elections

GAGB's annual elections are due to take place in November.

The election for the post of Chairman will begin at midnight on Sunday 9th and end at midnight on Sunday 16th.

The election for the posts of Committee Members will begin at midnight on Tuesday 18th and end at midnight on Tuesday 25th.

Nominations are now open for the post of Chairman and for the posts of Committee members. Nominations will close at midnight exactly seven days before the start of the relevant election.

Nominations can be made in this thread or by sending them directly to me through my GAGB profile. All nominations must be seconded, and accepted by the nominee.

I'm pleased to be able to announce that Erik van Dyck (erik88l-r) of the Georgia Geocachers' Association has very kindly agreed to act as Returning Officer for our elections again. Many thanks, Erik!

The current status:

Chairman:

*Bill D (wwh) - Returned unopposed

Committee:

*mongoose39uk - proposed, seconded, accepted
    *StuartP - proposed, seconded, accepted
    *nobbynobbs - proposed, seconded, accepted
    *Dave of The Wombles - proposed, seconded, accepted
    *Mattwaggie - proposed, seconded, accepted
    Jacobite - proposed, seconded, accepted
    Sandvika - proposed, seconded, accepted

dodgydaved - proposed, seconded, declined
    The Hornet - proposed, seconded, declined
    Simply Paul - proposed, seconded, declined
    Fraggle69 - proposed, seconded, declined
    *studlyone - proposed, seconded, declined
    *Tiger-eyes - proposed, seconded, declined

Those names marked with an asterisk are current holders of those positions, whether elected or co-opted.

Please post here or PM me if I've made any mistakes.

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 7th November 2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Status update
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Alan White for chairman

Snaik Guest

Jacobite for comittee

Snaik

Quote Originally Posted by Snaik View Post
    Jacobite for comittee

Snaik
    Don't tempt me Snaik!!!

I dare not accept it,..............not even for a short while.
    Understand Snaik, I would use this position, from a desire to do good.
    But through me,.........................it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Alan White Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post
    Alan White for chairman
    Not a member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan White View Post
    Not a member
    Pah! UK's newest reviewer then?

pklong Guest

MrsBlorenge for Tea Lady

Quote Originally Posted by pklong View Post
    MrsBlorenge for Tea Lady
    I've got to second that one
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

Pah! UK's newest reviewer then?
    When GAGB was originally set up I was one of the UK reviewers and as such I was invited to serve on the committee. After some thought I declined as I felt that the GAGB ought to be an independent body, not beholden to any particular listing site. As a representative of Groundspeak, if I served on the committee I foresaw possible conflicts of interest which would not be in GAGB's interest.

I think that still holds true and despite the review team being otherwise excellently qualified, I question whether it would be appropriate for them to serve here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    When GAGB was originally set up I was one of the UK reviewers and as such I was invited to serve on the committee. After some thought I declined as I felt that the GAGB ought to be an independent body, not beholden to any particular listing site. As a representative of Groundspeak, if I served on the committee I foresaw possible conflicts of interest which would not be in GAGB's interest.

I think that still holds true and despite the review team being otherwise excellently qualified, I question whether it would be appropriate for them to serve here.
    Ooooooh could that be The Hornet intimating that he would like to be on the committee .... ?

sTeamTraen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post

I think this is absolutely right. I'm aware of more than one state/country where a volunteer's position in the state/national association is perceived to cause a problem. Being a Groundspeak volunteer provides enough opportunities for angst without getting into another firing line.

keehotee Guest

Alan White for chairman
    PuP for Pirate Cap'n

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    PuP for Pirate Cap'n
    Cap'n of the reds mind, not them scurvy riddled blues

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    GAGB's annual elections are due to take place in November.

The election for the post of Chairman will begin at midnight on Sunday 9th and end at midnight on Sunday 16th.

The election for the posts of Committee Members will begin at midnight on Tuesday 18th and end at midnight on Tuesday 25th.

Nominations are now open for the post of Chairman and for the posts of Committee members. Nominations will close at midnight exactly seven days before the start of the relevant election.

Nominations can be made in this thread or by sending them directly to me through my GAGB profile. All nominations must be seconded, and accepted by the nominee.

I'm pleased to be able to announce that Erik van Dyck (erik88l-r) of the Georgia Geocachers' Association has very kindly agreed to act as Returning Officer for our elections again. Many thanks, Erik!

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB

There ya go

Thanks Tony, you posted that as I edited my last post to say I'd found the answer in the OP. Just like my teachers used to say read the whole paper before answering any of the questions LOL

I think it helps sometimes to repeat the OP once the thread has reached a few pages, tbh I tend to skip and go to the latest posts.

You standing then Ian?

I'd be delighted to. One more lamb to the slaughter I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by studlyone View Post
    I'd be delighted to. One more lamb to the slaughter I guess.
    Glad to hear that, Ian.
    Tony has said it all, there is no "conflict of interest", if the two are kept separate.
    Last edited by jacobite; 3rd October 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: grammer
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Thumbs up Accepted - Manifesto

Thank you to PopUpPirate and MarkandLynn for proposing and seconding my nomination to the Committee. After further deliberation, I have decided to accept.

If my enquiring emails about perceptions of need for change in GAGB have led directly or indirectly to our esteemed former Groundspeak reviewers thinking they'd better stand for election then I'm delighted and I can already say that a minor mission has been accomplished I'm delighted that there will be an election this year and am myself a Parish Councillor because actions speak louder than words and the democratic process is dear to me. De-facto reinstatement of the GAGB committee would be less rewarding to them than proper re-election. However, let's make it interesting.

George Bernard Shaw said "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

We see plenty of evidence at the GAGB of unreasonable people persisting in their endeavours to obtain permission to cache and long may this continue.

However, since shortly after joining GAGB, I have felt that the organisation has not lived up to its name because it has adopted a one-dimensional view of our hobby in aligning itself so specifically to landowner permissions. I'm also aware of several members of the forum (some declared, others not) who don't feel that they want to be members: this alludes to GAGB being misaligned with its potential membership.

I think collectively, we are missing a significant opportunity - ours is a young hobby that should be able to foster innovation and diversity, however, there is not a lot of this going on. In my view, the appropriate
    nurturing should come from a country association. The GAGB should adopt a multi-faceted approach to our hobby.

Dave Draycott identifies new members on GC.com as being a tacit inhibitor to change, because they have not known anything different. However, I'd like to suggest that this need not be a foregone conclusion. Organisations thrive when there's growing membership and fresh thinking: let's channel it through GAGB!

If GAGB adopted a leadership position and acted as advocate for our hobby on behalf of our membership, then our hobby could be promoted and grow more rapidly and we, as a country association, would earn the attention and respect of our various suppliers. When people in Britain are introduced to caching, the authoritative source of information they seek should be GAGB, not one or other of the cache listing sites.

So, by seeking your votes in this election, I am presenting myself as an unreasonable man who wants to expand the remit of GAGB steadily, so GAGB can become to cachers what the Ramblers' Association is to ramblers and the Inland Waterways Association is to boaters. I think this could provide a significant change for the better.

Thanks for your attention and support. If you would like me to clarify or elaborate, please get in touch.

Roderick Parks (sandvika) sandvika.caching@googlemail.com

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    Dave Draycott identifies new members on GC.com as being a tacit inhibitor to change, because they have not known anything different.

I fear I may not have stated my feelings clearly enough.

What I said was:

"This is especially true as the up and coming generation of UK cachers only know about the way things are now and care little for the past. The new names on the forum since April, the viewpoints they have voiced and the way the new moderation team appears to monitor issues seems very alien to the way things used to be. My appeal to GSP was to allow the sport to evolve not stagnate – and this is what it appears to have done, in a sort of negative way."

The advent of newer members of the GSP caching community has not been a tacit inhibitor of change at all. I meant to suggest that current GSP policies, together with other changes within the way the community is regulated have together allowed the sport to move onwards, but in a way that I did not particularly like and, it seemed to me - albeit paradoxically - to be retrogressive.

This was a personal opinion, with foundation in my own non-scientific observations.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgydaved View Post
    I fear I may not have stated my feelings clearly enough.

What I said was:

"This is especially true as the up and coming generation of UK cachers only know about the way things are now and care little for the past. The new names on the forum since April, the viewpoints they have voiced and the way the new moderation team appears to monitor issues seems very alien to the way things used to be. My appeal to GSP was to allow the sport to evolve not stagnate – and this is what it appears to have done, in a sort of negative way."

The advent of newer members of the GSP caching community has not been a tacit inhibitor of change at all. I meant to suggest that current GSP policies, together with other changes within the way the community is regulated have together allowed the sport to move onwards, but in a way that I did not particularly like and, it seemed to me - albeit paradoxically - to be retrogressive.

This was a personal opinion, with foundation in my own non-scientific observations.
    Thanks for elucidating, Dave. Whether it be regression or stagnation, I think we share the view that the converse is sought!

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    so GAGB can become to cachers what the Ramblers' Association is to ramblers and the Inland Waterways Association is to boaters. I think this could provide a significant change for the better.

Thanks for your attention and support. If you would like me to clarify or elaborate, please get in touch.

Roderick Parks (sandvika) sandvika.caching@googlemail.com
    Id add what the BMC is to climbers. (lots of simialrities acces, negotiations with landowners, responsible behaviour, codes of UK conduct, crag clean ups etc.)

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Category.aspx?category=1

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/campaigns/

http://www.waterways.org.uk/Ourwork

Links for the google shy amongst you
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    <snip>
    Nominations will close at midnight exactly seven days before the start of the relevant election.
    </snip>
    Bill, Chairman GAGB
    Bill is unwell but asked me to remind everyone that nominations for the committee are now closed.

I'm pleased to see that we're got a real election this year which will start next week. We'll post details of how to vote shortly.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend