Thanks Thanks:  23
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GAGB annual elections

OK here's my votes for committee members, (dodgy dave previously submitted)...

Sandvika
    Simply Paul
    Fraggle69

I know at least one of the above 3 is deffo interested!!!

I've just noticed that Mattwaggie (Badger), who's on the existing committee, hasn't been nominated, so I nominate him now.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

nobbynobbs Guest

seconded for mattwaggie

Sandvika - seconded
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Sorry, Stuart's created a means of doing this but stupidly I forgot to include a link to it...

https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/register.php

It's been tested by Stuart and me, but of course it is new so it's yet to be used for real - if anyone experiences any problems with it just PM me.
    I'll get that added to the sites navigation ssytem.
    Ian
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

fraggle69 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post
    OK here's my votes for committee members, (dodgy dave previously submitted)...

Sandvika
    Simply Paul
    Fraggle69

I know at least one of the above 3 is deffo interested!!!
    And it defo aint me, my dark metal pirate friend. h34r:

Seconded for Simply Paul

As I've been proposed and seconded I guess I ought to accept. After all, I seem to have spare time available these days, I can't think why!

I also mailed Bill earlier to-day to accept nomination,

Cheers Guys,

Dave

:cheers:

Outstanding

Well done chaps

Mattwaggie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    seconded for mattwaggie
    Nomination accepted

Fraggle69.
    Seconded.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

The quality of the candidate list is impressive! You could probably make two GAGB committees from it.

So................we never got all dressed up for nothing!
    accepted.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

The list just gets better and better

erik88L-R Guest

For some reason I can't log onto my old "Returning Officer" account (I get nasty messages that I've been banned and the ban will never end) so I created a new sock puppet account = erik88L-R.

It looks like there will be an election and I will have some votes to count this time around. In the US I would have posted my PayPal account info earlier, but I'm not sure what the convention is in the more civilized UK. hmy:

Cheers,

~erik~

Quote Originally Posted by erik88L-R View Post
    For some reason I can't log onto my old "Returning Officer" account (I get nasty messages that I've been banned and the ban will never end) so I created a new sock puppet account = erik88L-R.

It looks like there will be an election and I will have some votes to count this time around. In the US I would have posted my PayPal account info earlier, but I'm not sure what the convention is in the more civilized UK. hmy:

Cheers,

~erik~
    It's ok, I've done a bit of research, I already know it :cheers:

keehotee Guest

So who are all these people??
    What have you all done to warrant being nominated, why should we vote for you, and what will you do (if elected) to justify your positions?

We, the vote-wielding geocaching public, demand to know...!!!!

Apologies to those who nominated me but I have to withdraw my nomination due to being warned off to go to Canada mid November 08 only to return to the UK again at the end of March 09. With me being out of the country for such an extended period of time I feel that I would be unable to give the committee the time and attention that would be required as a committee member. This leaves me with no option other than to stand down.

I will however still be available online to help out with the site in the role of 'oiler of the servers cogs' if required.

Just got 18months left to serve of my 22 year engagement before being promoted to Civvy :wacko:, I should get some stability after that point LOL.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    What have you all done to warrant being nominated, why should we vote for you, and what will you do (if elected) to justify your positions?

Or, put it another way, what does the committee do?

What would be expected of the [strike]mugs[/strike] committee members?
    Paved Roads: Another fine example of unnecessary Government spending!

Quote Originally Posted by studlyone View Post
    Apologies to those who nominated me but I have to withdraw my nomination due to being warned off to go to Canada mid November 08 only to return to the UK again at the end of March 09. With me being out of the country for such an extended period of time I feel that I would be unable to give the committee the time and attention that would be required as a committee member. This leaves me with no option other than to stand down.

I will however still be available online to help out with the site in the role of 'oiler of the servers cogs' if required.

Just got 18months left to serve of my 22 year engagement before being promoted to Civvy :wacko:, I should get some stability after that point LOL.

Ian
    Sorry to hear that, Ian. Still, I'm sure geocaching will be around when you get back :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by ivanidea View Post

What would be expected of the [strike]mugs[/strike] committee members?
    I can't speak for everyone nominated but I know two of the people have had several years of experience "behind the scenes" and have tried during that period to represent the interests of Geocaching in the UK. They also have a fairly good knowledge of how things are done at Geocaching Headquartes in Seattle (hey that's GCHQ! I never thought of that before h34r:) Since April they now find they have more time on their hands than previously.

Added to that they now have an extra big dollop of hearty cynicism to temper any youthful enthusiasm on the part of other committee members

As for the duties of the committee, you'll have to ask the current crew that.

You forgot to mention how much each candidate is going to pay to bribe vote-wielding geocaching public h34r:

Quote Originally Posted by jacobite View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Ian. Still, I'm sure geocaching will be around when you get back :cheers:
    Thanks hopefully they enjoy looking for plastic boxes in the bushes in Canada so I should be alright over there, not that there are many bushes on the Alberta Pariaries anyway and if they were I doubt I'd see them under 5 feet of snow LOL. I might have to invest in a new scarf as it'll be -40oC with the wind chill in the middle of winter :wacko:

Thanks for the nomination but I'm afraid I will have to refuse this year . I have recently started work after 8 years and and now finding juggling work and children as well as the various taxi sevices for clubs leaves me very little time for geocaching and GAGB. With more people accepting nominations, now seems like the perfect time to bow out gracefully, for those who step in, the GAGB committee are a great bunch of people who are a pleasure to work with. Thanks guys for having me this last 2 years .

Smile

Strangely enough, Tim, someones asked this of me in a post the other day. I know Peter has alluded, below, to our past in this field, but I share with you the gist of my reply to the email mentioned above. The quotation is somewhat edited as it dealt with specific issues which are irrelevant to the present discussion - however I think it explains my general feelings/philosophy.

"I feel much of the strength of the GAGB is in the way it can facilitate landowner issues and provide a medium through which UK cachers can freely debate caching issues without let or hindrance, and whilst not solving problems it can, through the wide audience this forum draws, bring those debates to the attention of others.
    I firmly believe that GSP is now managed in such a way that nothing done or said by a small group of members in UK will have any effect on their philosophy. They appear to care for very little about customer relations and I feel that there is little to change this. This is especially true as the up and coming generation of UK cachers only know about the way things are now and care little for the past. The new names on the forum since April, the viewpoints they have voiced and the way the new moderation team appears to monitor issues seems very alien to the way things used to be. My appeal to GSP was to allow the sport to evolve not stagnate – and this is what it appears to have done, in a sort of negative way.

I also think that there is plenty of discussion of other listing sites on the GAGB forum – and though that discussion evokes only a limited response it leads to a far healthier debate than the denial of the existence of those sites which can occur elsewhere.

I tried to support UK cachers as best I could for 4 years and, whilst some disagreed with my decisions (and, frankly I also diagreed with some of the decisions I was constrained to make) , most were appreciative and virtually all were undestanding.. If I can continue to support the community through GAGB I will do so to the best of my ability"

I hope this is the sort of explanation/philosophy you were looking for.

Cheers Guys,

Dave

keehotee Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave

I wasn't being deliberately antagonistic at all - just doing the David Dimbleby bit for any newcomers.

Ohh - and anybody else that didn't know who or what anybody was/is/does.....

Thanks Dave

I wasn't being deliberately antagonistic at all - just doing the David Dimbleby bit for any newcomers.

Pas de problemo, this I realised:socool::socool:

Who are GAGB and what do we do? Well, we aim to negotiate blanket agreements with landowners, and maintain a comprehensive database of blanket agreements, whether agreed by us or by others. We liaise between landowners, cachers and gc.com under the terms of some of those agreements.

We aim to provide help and support to cachers, whether it be in getting started, in negotiating permission for a cache or for a blanket agreement, or any other caching matters they may need assistance with.

We are often contacted by the media, and we try to either provide them with the information they want or put them in touch with someone in their area who's willing to be interviewed by them.

We provide a telephone contact number which any UK cacher can use in their caches, whether a member of GAGB or not. We pass on messages from that number to the cacher concerned, and in the rare cases where we're contacted by a landowner who's unhappy about a cache placed on their land without permission, we try to resolve the issue amicably.

We provide forums (obviously!) where cachers can discuss caching and pretty well anything else too, with as little moderation as possible, and recently we (or more specifically Ian) have provided some additions to these forums to ensure you spend as much time on your computer as possible...!

Ok, that's pretty much what GAGB's about, though I'm sure I've missed things.

As to me, what do I personally put into it? Well, I liaise between gc.com, individual cachers and the Forestry Commission in Dorset and in the New Forest, under blanket agreements we have with them. I respond to some of the emails that are sent to the committee address, and to the many emails and PMs that are sent to me personally, from cachers, landowners and the media.

Until recently I and Fiona (Tiger-eyes) manually checked out validating members, but at the moment we're testing a new system of automatic validation - the issue with validating members is that some are not bona fide cachers but would-be spammers signing up to post commercial stuff in the forums, much of it far from family-friendly.

I, and the rest of the committee, stay in regular contact through a list email address, and we try to be aware of current caching issues and provide whatever input or help we deem appropriate. We also have occasional teleconferences.

I check the spam filter on the committee email address as often as I can, usually two or three times a day, as occasionally genuine messages get trapped there.

At this time of year, I arrange the annual elections, and try to publicize them as widely as possible (which should bring a wry smile to those of you who've been around for a few years!).

I do some maintenance of the content of our website, making changes to the text on webpages when appropriate and so on, and to the GLAD, the landowner agreement database, though right at the moment we've got database problems there so changes are just going onto a list, to be made when we're able to.

And I try to resolve the occasional access problems that individuals experience with our forums, for example resetting lost passwords and so on.

And of course, as Chairman, I do my best to hold together the raggle-taggle bunch we call the committee, lol...!

Anyway, again I've probably missed things, but that should give some idea of what I do.

If anyone's got any specific questions feel free to ask.

nobbynobbs Guest

Shame to hear that you've been called away Ian, but thank goodness that you're still going to have web access to carry on helping

Good luck fiona.

As regards what I have been doing on the committee? Well I try to reply to as many of the email requests that come in for additional help or information as I can. Giving them info on the hobby or putting them in contact with other cachers who are able to help with specific requirements.

I liase with the Hampshire Wildlife trust with regards the agreement we have with them, hopefully I'll be able to use this as a blueprint to cover other wildlife trusts.

I've tried to liase with the powers that be and be a eloquent spokesperson for the UK community on both our and the dark side forums.

When I originally joined the committee we had a teleconference where we all discussed what jobs needed doing and which of us was able to do each with the most efficiency. We've all done those jobs and discussed between us to resolve other issues that have raised themselves and helped each other out with various tasks. The real test is if you have any idea what we do then we've not been doing it very well, ie. we've sorted the problems and requests before they've appeared to everyone else.

My last post was rather long, and I forgot this bit...

Ian and Fiona, I'm sorry to hear that you're not able to stand, but I'd like to echo Matt's comments for both of you above...!

Thanks Matt and Bill, my plans for world domination will just have to go on the back shelf for a year Mwuahhhhhhhhh........

I look forward to being able to support the GAGB from behind the scenes, ensuring that the site continues to develop to cater for the increased membership. I'll turn my attentions to the land agreement database issues next.

Quote Originally Posted by studlyone View Post
    Thanks Matt and Bill, my plans for world domination will just have to go on the back shelf for a year Mwuahhhhhhhhh........

I look forward to being able to support the GAGB from behind the scenes, ensuring that the site continues to develop to cater for the increased membership. I'll turn my attentions to the land agreement database issues next.
    Ian, thanks for that, and would you believe I was just about to email you about that database...!

And, well, what's a year's wait when it leads to world domination...!

That's a good question.

My main role is negotiator of landowner agreements, including negotiating new agreements, providing support and maintenance on the existing agreements of which I personally negotiated 12 (successfully), and supporting other cachers applying for their own permissions whether generic or specific.

For example, I originally led the negotiation for the first major turn-round of a major landowner, the New Forest Forestry Commission, which had removed all caches on their property before we approached them. It took a year to get permission; this permission and the discussions with FC HQ has enabled many other Forestry Commission permissions to follow. I received the 13 removed caches back in several bin bags but wasn't allowed to log them h34r:

I also provide knowledge and experience of the history of the GAGB and caching, having been a cacher since 2001 and one of the founder members of GAGB.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Thumbs up Accepted - Manifesto

Thank you to PopUpPirate and MarkandLynn for proposing and seconding my nomination to the Committee. After further deliberation, I have decided to accept.

If my enquiring emails about perceptions of need for change in GAGB have led directly or indirectly to our esteemed former Groundspeak reviewers thinking they'd better stand for election then I'm delighted and I can already say that a minor mission has been accomplished I'm delighted that there will be an election this year and am myself a Parish Councillor because actions speak louder than words and the democratic process is dear to me. De-facto reinstatement of the GAGB committee would be less rewarding to them than proper re-election. However, let's make it interesting.

George Bernard Shaw said "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

We see plenty of evidence at the GAGB of unreasonable people persisting in their endeavours to obtain permission to cache and long may this continue.

However, since shortly after joining GAGB, I have felt that the organisation has not lived up to its name because it has adopted a one-dimensional view of our hobby in aligning itself so specifically to landowner permissions. I'm also aware of several members of the forum (some declared, others not) who don't feel that they want to be members: this alludes to GAGB being misaligned with its potential membership.

I think collectively, we are missing a significant opportunity - ours is a young hobby that should be able to foster innovation and diversity, however, there is not a lot of this going on. In my view, the appropriate
    nurturing should come from a country association. The GAGB should adopt a multi-faceted approach to our hobby.

Dave Draycott identifies new members on GC.com as being a tacit inhibitor to change, because they have not known anything different. However, I'd like to suggest that this need not be a foregone conclusion. Organisations thrive when there's growing membership and fresh thinking: let's channel it through GAGB!

If GAGB adopted a leadership position and acted as advocate for our hobby on behalf of our membership, then our hobby could be promoted and grow more rapidly and we, as a country association, would earn the attention and respect of our various suppliers. When people in Britain are introduced to caching, the authoritative source of information they seek should be GAGB, not one or other of the cache listing sites.

So, by seeking your votes in this election, I am presenting myself as an unreasonable man who wants to expand the remit of GAGB steadily, so GAGB can become to cachers what the Ramblers' Association is to ramblers and the Inland Waterways Association is to boaters. I think this could provide a significant change for the better.

Thanks for your attention and support. If you would like me to clarify or elaborate, please get in touch.

Roderick Parks (sandvika) sandvika.caching@googlemail.com

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    Dave Draycott identifies new members on GC.com as being a tacit inhibitor to change, because they have not known anything different.

I fear I may not have stated my feelings clearly enough.

What I said was:

"This is especially true as the up and coming generation of UK cachers only know about the way things are now and care little for the past. The new names on the forum since April, the viewpoints they have voiced and the way the new moderation team appears to monitor issues seems very alien to the way things used to be. My appeal to GSP was to allow the sport to evolve not stagnate – and this is what it appears to have done, in a sort of negative way."

The advent of newer members of the GSP caching community has not been a tacit inhibitor of change at all. I meant to suggest that current GSP policies, together with other changes within the way the community is regulated have together allowed the sport to move onwards, but in a way that I did not particularly like and, it seemed to me - albeit paradoxically - to be retrogressive.

This was a personal opinion, with foundation in my own non-scientific observations.

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    so GAGB can become to cachers what the Ramblers' Association is to ramblers and the Inland Waterways Association is to boaters. I think this could provide a significant change for the better.

Thanks for your attention and support. If you would like me to clarify or elaborate, please get in touch.

Roderick Parks (sandvika) sandvika.caching@googlemail.com
    Id add what the BMC is to climbers. (lots of simialrities acces, negotiations with landowners, responsible behaviour, codes of UK conduct, crag clean ups etc.)

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Category.aspx?category=1

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/campaigns/

http://www.waterways.org.uk/Ourwork

Links for the google shy amongst you
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by dodgydaved View Post
    I fear I may not have stated my feelings clearly enough.

What I said was:

"This is especially true as the up and coming generation of UK cachers only know about the way things are now and care little for the past. The new names on the forum since April, the viewpoints they have voiced and the way the new moderation team appears to monitor issues seems very alien to the way things used to be. My appeal to GSP was to allow the sport to evolve not stagnate – and this is what it appears to have done, in a sort of negative way."

The advent of newer members of the GSP caching community has not been a tacit inhibitor of change at all. I meant to suggest that current GSP policies, together with other changes within the way the community is regulated have together allowed the sport to move onwards, but in a way that I did not particularly like and, it seemed to me - albeit paradoxically - to be retrogressive.

This was a personal opinion, with foundation in my own non-scientific observations.
    Thanks for elucidating, Dave. Whether it be regression or stagnation, I think we share the view that the converse is sought!

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Sorry, Stuart's created a means of doing this but stupidly I forgot to include a link to it...

https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/register.php

It's been tested by Stuart and me, but of course it is new so it's yet to be used for real - if anyone experiences any problems with it just PM me.
    It would appear I'm unable to join via this link. It says welcome '' (No username) and informs me I'll get an email, which I don't

Can someone take a look?

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Icenians View Post
    It would appear I'm unable to join via this link. It says welcome '' (No username) and informs me I'll get an email, which I don't

Can someone take a look?

Ta
    I've only just seen this. There should now be an email on its way - if you don't receive it please post again.
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 9th October 2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Clarity (I hope...)

StuartP Guest

As a co-opted member of the committee what do I do:

- Provide technical support for the running of the forums and website.

- Migrated to the current forum software from the previous bug ridden forums.

- Run the server that hosts the GAGB website, forums.

Changes I'd like to introduce:

- As others have suggested, I see the GAGB as being bigger than the role it currently plays, there is no reason why it can't become akin to the ramblers association etc. To this end I'd like to see the GAGB move in the following direction , from 'non-commercial' to 'not for profit' to 'charitable status'

- Change the structure of the GAGB committee to allow more flexibility, and a structure more in-line with the effort required , this will include more 'defined' roles within the committee structure.

- Improve the financial standing of the GAGB to allow it to cover it's running costs (YES we do have running costs, covered, only just by donations from a few members)

- See the GAGB running events to attract new members to both the GAGB and geocaching, working with for example the National Trust to introduce gecaching to its visitors.

- Looking at ways to allow the GAGB to access other organisations to raise the profile of the 'pastime, sport, hobby' , we currently handle many requests from the media for people to talk on local, and national radio.

- Increase liason with commercial organisations to promote geocaching in the UK, a classic example of this would be the recently run promotion by Garmin, as it was run as a UK promotion, whom in the UK did they approach ? The obvsious answer should be the GAGB however this wasn't the case.
    Last edited by StuartP; 18th October 2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Inclusion of committee re-structuring.

OK, I guess it is about time I said a little about me......

Found my first cache in December 2003 on my way to my last day working in a job I really was not enjoying. I was looking for something to make my main hobby at the time of hill walking more interesting. I am still looking for micros in Ivy Covered Trees, so I think I may have found it.

This last year has not been a very active caching year for me, just the odd one hear and there plus a very enjoyable trip to the mega event. I really didn't have much opportunity this year, I was caring for my parents, both have passed away now within a couple of weeks of each other (one two hours after I got back from the mega event) in between my flat burnt down so have been busy moving and sorting their affairs out etc. I can honestly say that people in the caching community were a great help during this time, even gave up some time to come and help me move. A great community overall even though it can get heated on the forums etc.

What do I do in the GAGB?

Mostly I deal with enquiries that have been hanging around for a couple of days and no one else has dealt with, anything from finding someone to help a new cacher, dealing with reporters etc. Also liaising with the reviewers about issues around dry stone walls and access. Mostly its about trying to put people in touch with the person most likely to be able to help them. A couple of other projects along there that may or may not happen in the future. Things that I hope will benefit the caching community but the parties involved do not want to go public yet.

Oh and I went on the scrounge for money for new forum software when we were constantly being taken down, vaguely remember asking Stuart if he would help out as well, I wonder if he will ever forgive me
    Last edited by Mongoose39uk; 26th October 2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: duh

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    OK, I guess it is about time I said a little about me......

Found my first cache in December 1993 on my way to my last day working in a job I really was not enjoying.
    Professional time traveler, perhaps?

erik88L-R Guest

Just a man ahead of his time.

~erik~

Simply Paul Guest

While I used to love it, I'm not feeling very pro-caching (and positively anti-Groundspeak, who effectively 'own' caching) at the moment, so while the nomination is appreciated, I'm going to respectfully decline this time. Best of luck with the elections and I'm sure the committee will get people with the right commitment for their roles. It's a shame for me that my enthusiasm just isn't there, but better I acknowledge this rather than accept a position my heart isn't in, in the hope that it comes back.

active cacher Guest

Exclamation

After such a lovely heartfelt post regarding Mongoose39's involvement with GAGB, all that Keehotee had to say was this?
    Poor, I just think that's very poor.

active cacher Guest

And I would just like to say thank you to Mongoose39uk and to all the other members, (past present and proposed) of the GAGB for everything that they do to oil the wheels and keep things moving forward.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by active cacher View Post
    After such a lovely heartfelt post regarding Mongoose39's involvement with GAGB, all that Keehotee had to say was this?
    Poor, I just think that's very poor.
    Ta but I certainly didn't take any offence.

Cheers

Tony

This is just a reminder that nominations for the position of Chairman end at midnight tomorrow (Sunday).

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB

erik88L-R Guest

Default Nominations closed

Midnight has come and gone, so no further nominations for the position of chairman will be taken.

~erik~