Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: GAGB Pub Chat - "Culture Vultures around the table"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up GAGB Pub Chat - "Culture Vultures around the table"

Tell us about that good programme you watched on TV, or the book you're reading, or the latest film/show/gig you attended. What's your latest hobby or interest?

After some years, I've recently returned to Wilbur Smith's novels and I'm three quarters way through "The Quest", one of his series of Egyptian stories. Great stuff, easy read, adventure with a heavy spoonful of mysticism thrown in... a bit grusome in places... Those Egyptians knew how to create a good torture

Anyone else got a good read on the go atm?

nobbynobbs Guest

Steven Fry on sunday night going around america. Well worth a watch.

keehotee Guest

Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon - for the 6th time......
    and Iain banks - the Wasp Factory, for the squillionth time (but only when I'm on the loo)

I rather like The Eggheads, except that the questions are faaaar too easy...
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

I enjoyed the first of Fry in America, too - I saw a couple of his interviews promoting the series and he spoke eloquently of his experiences in USA and how he had enjoyed meeting the citizens. He really put across how individuals there are proud of their home state and were anxious that he should leave with a good impression of them and their area.

keehotee - In a recent conversation (which started off talking about Bletchley Park, cos we used to live up that way) somebody else recommended "Cryptonomicon" to me but it sounded a bit 'heavy' for a first go at one of his novels - Would you suggest any of his others that might be easier for a trial run?

Two of the best books i have read in a long time and highly recommended by me are "Kane and Abel" then read "The prodical daughter" both by Jeffery Archer.
    Forget the politics...........The man can write.

Other favorites, anything by James Patterson or John Grisham.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I enjoyed the first of Fry in America, too - I saw a couple of his interviews promoting the series and he spoke eloquently of his experiences in USA and how he had enjoyed meeting the citizens. He really put across how individuals there are proud of their home state and were anxious that he should leave with a good impression of them and their area.

keehotee - In a recent conversation (which started off talking about Bletchley Park, cos we used to live up that way) somebody else recommended "Cryptonomicon" to me but it sounded a bit 'heavy' for a first go at one of his novels - Would you suggest any of his others that might be easier for a trial run?
    Hmmm - his earlier stuff's a bit cyberpunk / scifi.......
    The Baroque books are good, and sort of prequels to Crypto....
    The Diamond Age is fantastic - but again sci fi (in a Victorian steam punk way)
    Can lend you Crypto or any of the others if you want to try 'em out.