Thanks Thanks:  5

Thread: Is it too quiet in here? More chat needed?

Default Is it too quiet in here? More chat needed?

Keehotee's post over on his current poll says "The Arcade's turned into the games machine in the corner of the Pub - nobody's talking in here any more - true or false?"

I've been thinking about this, and trying to think of a way to promote more 'chat' here in the GAGB forum. IMO the UK Geocaching community could do with a well-developed Off Topic forum: The GC.com one is generally too USA-centric and most topics over there are of little interest to UK residents.

So, in an effort to stimulate a broader range of chat/trivia/debate I've started 4 new Off Topics. As we already have the Pub Quiz and the Arcade up and running it seemed a reasonable idea to continue with that 'pub theme', so there's "the Snug", "Moan into your pint", "The Jokers at the bar" and "The Culture Vultures". Other posters may like to create their own 'pub corners' to cover other stuff.

Whether these options will divert any of you from the games machines for any length of time... that remains to be seen!

:cheers: Cheers!

Lucilla

Alan White Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    IMO the UK Geocaching community could do with a well-developed Off Topic forum
    IMO the UK caching community could do with [using] a forum where it can discuss on-topic caching issues without the thread being closed by Groundspeak.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan White View Post
    IMO the UK caching community could do with [using] a forum where it can discuss on-topic caching issues without the thread being closed by Groundspeak.
    You're in the right place then!

Absolutely, this place has been long known as a place for reasoned bedate and as long is things don't degenerate into personal attacks I can't see any threads getting closed in the near future.:cheers:
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

Quote Originally Posted by studlyone View Post
    Absolutely, this place has been long known as a place for reasoned bedate and as long is things don't degenerate into personal attacks I can't see any threads getting closed in the near future.:cheers:
    No handbags at dawn, then?

No handbags at dawn, then?

LOL, perfectly acceptable as long as all housebricks are removed first

uktim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by studlyone View Post

You're quite correct. Mainly because hardly any on-topic threads get opened in the first place

perhaps you could try opening one then?

active cacher Guest

Unhappy

Well Done Mrs Blorenge. Although I tried to start a "help" me line about advice about boxes, hoping that would inspire a debate about the various pro's and cons of everyone's favourites and the response was quite poor. I was going to ask if anyone had any reccommendations for footwear as I am thinking about buying some walking boots, but I don't know if anyone would bother giving me their advice...unlike the "real" pub where every Tom Dick etc will spout forth about their favourites. They are very reserved in here!

Quote Originally Posted by active cacher View Post
    Well Done Mrs Blorenge. Although I tried to start a "help" me line about advice about boxes, hoping that would inspire a debate about the various pro's and cons of everyone's favourites and the response was quite poor. I was going to ask if anyone had any reccommendations for footwear as I am thinking about buying some walking boots, but I don't know if anyone would bother giving me their advice...unlike the "real" pub where every Tom Dick etc will spout forth about their favourites. They are very reserved in here!
    If you do want advice on boots I would suggest Scarpa, and don't forget that socks are as important as the boots themselves.

As far as the rest is concerned, my own feeling is that I'll post if I have something to say, but there is no point in talking just for the sake of talking.

Rgds, Andy

Quote Originally Posted by amberel View Post
    If you do want advice on boots I would suggest Scarpa, and don't forget that socks are as important as the boots themselves.

As far as the rest is concerned, my own feeling is that I'll post if I have something to say, but there is no point in talking just for the sake of talking.

Rgds, Andy
    Yeah, fair enough: Everyone has the right to sup their pint, or whatever, in peace.
    <MrsB wanders over to the Snug to chat about boots>

Yeah, fair enough: Everyone has the right to sup their pint, or whatever, in peace.
    <MrsB wanders over to the Snug to chat about boots>
    That wasn't intended as a criticism of anyone else, merely explaining why I haven't been very active recently.

Rgds, Andy

Well I didn't know there was an arcade, or any polls and I've not noticed the other aforementioned threads yet. I'll have a look for them and see if I can kill some time over there.

Is there a way that these new things can be thrust in our faces a bit more?
    Cheers,
    Stuey

Quote Originally Posted by amberel View Post
    That wasn't intended as a criticism of anyone else, merely explaining why I haven't been very active recently.

Rgds, Andy
    That's fine...

Not everyone will want to chat, just as I'm sure some will ignore the Off Topic most of the time anyway.

Everyone can just say "hi" if they feel like it, or something catches their eye

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Well I didn't know there was an arcade, or any polls and I've not noticed the other aforementioned threads yet. I'll have a look for them and see if I can kill some time over there.

Is there a way that these new things can be thrust in our faces a bit more?
    Nah, just put the co-ords into your gps n follow the arrow...

But seriously, one of our forums is Polls, and you may have to scroll down the main forum page a bit to see it, depending on your screen resolution. The arcades are new, but there is a link to them in the line of links across the top of most if not all forum pages. However, I do take the point that it's not very prominent, and perhaps Ian (studlyone), one of our joint webmasters, who added the arcades, will be along in a bit to suggest something a bit more prominent to help more of you waste more of your time, hehe...!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Nah, just put the co-ords into your gps n follow the arrow...

But seriously, one of our forums is Polls, and you may have to scroll down the main forum page a bit to see it, depending on your screen resolution. The arcades are new, but there is a link to them in the line of links across the top of most if not all forum pages. However, I do take the point that it's not very prominent, and perhaps Ian (studlyone), one of our joint webmasters, who added the arcades, will be along in a bit to suggest something a bit more prominent to help more of you waste more of your time, hehe...!
    Visitors who use the new green or the green/blue forum skins will see a row of links at the top of the page that includes the arcade. One good idea is to bookmark the portal page - https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/cmps_index.php

That page will show you the latest poll together with new posts and replies, its a good place to quickly see whats new on the site. It also shows a random game at the bottom of the page together with the arcade stats.

The die hards who still use the old forum skin won't see the new links though (thats whay I created the green/blue skin - so that they got the best of both worlds). To change skins, if you look at the bottom left corner of the page you will see a drop down list of the three available themes. Just select another one to see how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by active cacher View Post
    If you're serious about boot advice ?
    My advice would be to try on many different brands and styles ,with various different sock combinations and or /different insoles .
    When deciding if they fit somehow get the shop assisstant to leave you alone so you can concentrate on how your feet are feeling .
    If the shop has a rough terrain slope to walk on use it .
    Never buy from a shop that wont give a refund if you change your mind after trying the boots at home .Try them up and down the stairs and over cushions and things .
    If your feet are difficult to fit endeavour ,when you do find a design of boot that fits ,to buy an extra pair for the future before they change the specification .
    If your boots are leather buy the recommended conditioning cream and use it regularly.

In our hutch ,after years of boot wearing ,we've both settled on Braisher Hillmaster being the best for us .Plus I need Superfeet insoles,at a mere £30 plus extra ,because my heels are too narrow in proportion to the rest of my feet.
    We like Greens