Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Geocoin history.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Geocoin history.

How did the idea of geocoins come about? I wonder who had the idea to mint a special coin and then release. And indeed why coins? Why not diecast cars, rings, buttons.

What was the first geocoin and when?

Maybe some kind person could enlighten me.

I'm in Cornwall next on holiday and shall be releasing our first coin. Hope no muggle nicks it.
    Ho hum!

I think I read somewhere that the first coin was minted my Moun10biker, they are unber-rare and highly collectable.

I think coins were chosen as in the USA they have a long history of minting coins for presents and 'challenge coins' especially in the military. I guess its one possible reason, I'd be interested to see how long before I get corrected.

Its actually a very interesting question and I hope someone out there has more info.

Ian
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

I received my Rule Britannia 2007 coins today. Fantastic coins, fantastic design but dare I release one!

Can't wait for the Help For Heros coin. I'll be buying several of those.
    Ho hum!

I think you might be right about the Moun10biker coin, but can't be sure...

This was the first UK geocoin produced:

Is there a geocoin buff in the house??

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I think you might be right about the Moun10biker coin, but can't be sure...

This was the first UK geocoin produced:

Is there a geocoin buff in the house??
    Ah, Veni Quaesivi Inveni - I proposed that legend, but I never got my free coin for coming up with the winning suggestion, sob... :
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Great thread, hope it doesn't stop at the first geocoin though, I would enjoy seeing how the geocoin thing developed.....

In a similar vein, but raised on another thread, I had hoped that the history of UK caching and cachers might have been started. I think it fizzeled out though, but it might provide some entertainment now the nights are drawing in.

IMO it would be good to have some history of the games development in the UK, I bet it's well documented in the US - must have a look sometime.

It would be a shame to leave it too long, none of us are getting any younger

Hopefully stuff like this will really get this forum going

H

Quote Originally Posted by L8HNB View Post
    Great thread, hope it doesn't stop at the first geocoin though, I would enjoy seeing how the geocoin thing developed.....

In a similar vein, but raised on another thread, I had hoped that the history of UK caching and cachers might have been started. I think it fizzeled out though, but it might provide some entertainment now the nights are drawing in.

IMO it would be good to have some history of the games development in the UK, I bet it's well documented in the US - must have a look sometime.

It would be a shame to leave it too long, none of us are getting any younger

Hopefully stuff like this will really get this forum going

H
    I've started a new thread about the history of caching in the General forum.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Ah, Veni Quaesivi Inveni - I proposed that legend, but I never got my free coin for coming up with the winning suggestion, sob... :
    Hmmm... OK, having only done Latin for 2 years, then giving it up because I didn't find translating things like "The soldiers are preparing their swords for the battle" very interesting... What does it mean?

(Don't make me go and Google it, now )

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Hmmm... OK, having only done Latin for 2 years, then giving it up because I didn't find translating things like "The soldiers are preparing their swords for the battle" very interesting... What does it mean?

(Don't make me go and Google it, now )
    I believe that its something along the lines of:

Veni Quaesivi Inveni - I came, I sought, I found
    "I Cache, therefore I am"