Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Contributing financially to the GAGB

Default Contributing financially to the GAGB

I didn't want to take the original thread off topic so I thought I would start a new one to ask the following question.

In that thread StuartP said
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartP View Post
    - Improve the financial standing of the GAGB to allow it to cover it's running costs (YES we do have running costs, covered, only just by donations from a few members)
    So as I already contribute to GC via my Premium Membership I would also like to help the GAGB so how do I do that ?

Cheers

Matrix aka Mike

StuartP Guest

Quote Originally Posted by matrix View Post
    I would also like to help the GAGB so how do I do that ?
    We're currently able to accept donations using the following paypal address:
    paypal@gagb.org.uk

Please include a note in the donation if you're happy for us to list you as a donator to the GAGB.

We have to pay fee's on donations received.

In the past 12 months, we have received a total of 8 in donations, from 2 people.

Cheers

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by StuartP View Post

We have to pay fee's on donations received.
    Not necessarily. There are radio buttons on Paypal for charges paid by Recipient or by Payer - so as long as people select the right one you shouldn't have to pay the charges. Unfortunately 'Recipient Pays' appears to be the default
    Last edited by Just Roger; 19th October 2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: speeling

Question

Is it possible to set up a direct debit/subscription?

I would rather pay a couple of £s a month rather than have to remember to make a larger payment every 6/12 months!

Mike

scottpa100 Guest

Default I'm up for the DD/Standing Order idea - couple of quid a month

You don't notice it that way either... also means you don't have PayPal fees.

StuartP Guest

Quote Originally Posted by von-horst View Post
    Is it possible to set up a direct debit/subscription?

I would rather pay a couple of £s a month rather than have to remember to make a larger payment every 6/12 months!

Mike
    The GAGB dosn't have a financial situation that would allow direct debit, the best we could do currently would be to offer a recurring payment using paypal.

One thing we could investigate, is allowing contributions by standing order (seems awfully old fashioned).

It's something I'm keen to improve, any comments and suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Stuart
    Last edited by StuartP; 19th October 2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Added Standing order option.

I would prefer a Direct Debit or standing order option as well but if your happy for a paypal payment in the meantime thats OK with me.

Has the committee ever thought about GAGB memorabilia, tracking items, calendars, cake recipes,, etc?

StuartP Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
    Has the committee ever thought about GAGB memorabilia, tracking items, calendars, cake recipes,, etc?
    It has been discussed, one of the problems with say a trackable is the initial outlay required to do this, currently we don't have the funds available to allow this. Would an annual GAGB geocoin for example be something that people would be interested in, obviously, any profit would be used to support the GAGB thus allowing more fund raising possiiblities.

Cheers

Stuart

The GAGB Geocoin looks like the obvious solution. It should be possible to make a fair profit without too much risk: probably a lot more than if you ask for voluntary donations.

Geocoin's a great idea, especially as the forum has become better supported. Bet someone moans though!

Thumbs up

W'd be up for a couple (at least) of GAGB Geocoins.

We'd also sign up for a recurring PayPal payment if it could be done.

I'd be happy to contribute too, However the size of the donation, would depend on the costs to run the site.
    Has anyone any idea what the current costs are?

I know that in the past people have offered to financially support Teasles G:uk, however the site always seems to be down and a lot of people miss it!

Wouldnt it be good if GAGB could integrate G:uk into this site

StuartP Guest

Currently there is hosting for the GAGB is provided for free, by myself, I consider this to be my donation to the GAGB.

It's difficult to gauge the true cost of hosting the site, as I'm sure many people are aware the price of web hosting varies considerably as does the level of support etc available. I'd say that 75 per year wouldn't be an unreasonable figure. The domain names in use by the GAGB again have their costs covered kind contributors, the only outlay we do make is the annual support of the forum software.

I'm not sure how server intensive G:UK is, but if it requires a whole server then I'm guessing at around 1200 per annum, of course it could be less than this, as little as 75.

Cheers

Stuart

Whilst Stuart is right its hard to gauge how much the site is costing him, a good server would be around £80 a month. He is also assuming risk if he is hosting the site for free on a server that has other sites on it as if the GAGB were ever compromised so would his other sites be.

I have a few problems myself with the GAGB Constitution with regards to its funding. It states that:

1. All costs incurred by the GAGB (travelling expenses, website costs, etc.) will be covered by the Executive Committee members themselves and generous voluntary donations from third parties without return (such as advertisement or other form of benefit).
    It's a bit vague, I hope it means that donations and the like will go towards recompensing committee members as otherwise I don't believe that is a fair state of affairs, if committee members have to put their hands into the own pockets whilst carrying out the work of the GAGB they should be recompensed for doing so. Whilst the Constitution may have been fine at the creation of the GAGB, the committee put in unbelievable hours on our behalf negotiating land agreements etc. If we've only had £8 donated in the last year then the committee must have not been recompensed for any expenses incurred during their duties.

All of this takes time and expenses, if they travel to a meeting they should get back at least the parking costs etc.

To do this though the GAGB requires an income of some sort, the donations are a great start as it allows people to contribute what they feel they should be contributing with no pressure at all.

As the GAGB is growing and it seems to be taking on more of an active role these days I think we need to rethink some of the old policies.

I like the possibility of geocoins etc being made available through the GAGB as that again would top up the coffers.
    Last edited by studlyone; 19th October 2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Speeling
    "I Cache, therefore I am"