Thanks Thanks:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Well, blow me! 120 day ban from 'the other place'

Simply Paul Guest

Oh, it made me laugh. A sort of high-pitched, strangled laugh. It also made me reach for a Voodoo doll...

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Paul View Post
    Help yourself!

http://www.snapsandbytes.co.uk/bring.gif

The idea being, as a Forum Title, you put '...for [whatever you're standing up for]'. Now, who's brave enough to partake of a little bit of fun/political comment/mod baiting/dangerous behaviour likely to get you banned. In fact, should it require you to be brave to put up an avatar that's not offensive at all? h34r: <-this smiley is known as Ph34r, meaning Fear.
    :cheers:

If I was Jeremy I'd be pretty pissed off too. Getting called by the office on a rare day off because someone pinched his avatar isn't Paul or Kev's "fault", but all the same, it happened.

Troublesome schoolkids sometimes get a telling off by teacher, sometimes they get detention, sometimes they get suspended for a few days and sometimes they get expelled. In my school days I was caned, and after that I respected the wishes of those in authority. I never got caned again.
    Cheers,
    Stuey

Simply Paul Guest

You were probably used to those in authority being even tempered, consistent, and applying punishment in some sort of ratio to misdemeanour? You probably even deserved the canning -it sounds like it- Do you think Kev and I deserved a 120 day ban, just the 3 days, or neither?

Sometimes school children burn their school down. I'm not a child, the other place isn't a school, and I don't have any matches. I'm not really accepting the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    If I was Jeremy I'd be pretty pissed off too. Getting called by the office on a rare day off because someone pinched his avatar isn't Paul or Kev's "fault", but all the same, it happened.
    The point is, he shouldn't have been called in for such trivia. If anyone was going to be ticked off it should have been the mods for not dealing with it.

Team Sieni Guest

I'm not a child, the other place isn't a school
    Well ... I dunno ... nicking someone's avatar is rather child-ish and the other place can resemble Bash Street sometimes. (Mandarin as Teacher, but who's who? From memory there's Danny, Smiffy, Plug, Toots, Cuthbert ...)hmy:

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    The point is, he shouldn't have been called in for such trivia.
    OK - does anybody else in here actually believe the founder and chief techy bloke at Groundspeak can't access the forums from home (or anywhere else for that matter), and had to go into the office to dish out a ban ?????:wacko::

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    OK - does anybody else in here actually believe the founder and chief techy bloke at Groundspeak can't access the forums from home (or anywhere else for that matter), and had to go into the office to dish out a ban ?????:wacko::
    What Stuey actually wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    If I was Jeremy I'd be pretty p***ed off too. Getting called by the office on a rare day off because someone pinched his avatar isn't Paul or Kev's "fault", but all the same, it happened.
    Stuey did not write "called in to the office".
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 23rd October 2008 at 05:18 PM.

NickPick Guest

Wow. I go away for 2 days and all this happens.

Last time I recall this sort of event was in 2005 https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...owtopic=104167

GOSHhmy:hmy:hmy:

I had forgotten all about that thread...........

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...post&p=1612489

.......interesting postsh34r:h34r:h34r::cheers::cheers:

Some very interesting and some deleted posts. It seems that things keep going round in circles. I think any ban for what happened is a bit of a knee jerk, barking mad reaction, but it seems JI has a very short fuse to any shenanigins on his forums these days.
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    What Stuey actually wrote:

Stuey did not write "called in to the office".
    Very true - but I was responding to HH's post.....:coffee:

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    The point is, he shouldn't have been called in for such trivia. If anyone was going to be ticked off it should have been the mods for not dealing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    Very true - but I was responding to HH's post.....:coffee:
    Yep, I realised that. I just quoted Stuey for clarity

Have some biscuits with your coffee...

Certainly very interesting to read that old thread. I wonder how many people would get away with something like this https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...post&p=1610811 nowadays?

Not many I'd guess LOLopcorn:

keehotee Guest

Yep, I realised that. I just quoted Stuey for clarity

Have some biscuits with your coffee...

Awwwwww... thanks Mrs B

a very interesting read! I was particularly amused to see some pyrocacher bloke (liverpudlian or summink...) posting his dis-satisfaction with Jeremy - obviously a troublemaker and wouldn't be surprised if he was banned at some point - certainly never going to amount to much!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gerrie View Post
    a very interesting read! I was particularly amused to see some pyrocacher bloke (liverpudlian or summink...) posting his dis-satisfaction with Jeremy - obviously a troublemaker and wouldn't be surprised if he was banned at some point - certainly never going to amount to much!
    Definitely a trouble maker - ave to keep an eye out for him round here

Very entertaining stuff, those GSP threads. Quite an insight as to how some individuals operate.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Hi all,
    just thought I'd pay a quick visit over to these forums.
    As I won't be here long.
    Just like to say thanks for the support, but I do think I deserved a little reprimand.
    Mostly due to my implications rather than the actual avatar "stealing", (as that's what it was.)
    120 days would have been somewhat draconian, but 3 days is quite acceptable.
    SP has his own motives I'm sure.(Cheers though SP!)
    See you in the "other place " soon.

Kevin

Why go back to the other place? Some people are making a concerted effort to get everyone here. Not me.... I'm now just trying to keep reminding myself not to get involved in the forums both here and there.

One can't upset anyone if one keeps one's gob firmly shut!
    Cheers,
    Stuey

Just kinda caught up with this thread. and IMHO yes it was a "prank" however the type of facial hair given to him caught easily have been interpeteated in a "german" way, draw a big nose, or give him rosey red cheeks and he probably would not have reacted in the way that he did. 120 days, now whos the child, talk about throwing the dummy out of the pram!!!

But then we all know what he can be like, met him once, seemed ok, but since then GS has gone right downhill with their customer service, so for me personally, i don't care if you have a dartboard with his face in the middle...........................................

I just hope your a good shot

Troublesome schoolkids sometimes get a telling off by teacher, sometimes they get detention, sometimes they get suspended for a few days and sometimes they get expelled. In my school days I was caned, and after that I respected the wishes of those in authority. I never got caned again.
    But i heard you enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    Certainly very interesting to read that old thread. I wonder how many people would get away with something like this https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...post&p=1610811 nowadays?
    Woh, that and the follow-up thread (https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...opic=104169&hl=) is quite an insight into how the big mans mind works hmy:. Very, very worrying indeed, lets hope he doesn't get bored with his toy and chuck it out of the pram.

Whether or not MadMarty was a sock and/or troll, I think that Jeremy's behaviour on that thread was absolutely inexcusable.
    Incidentally it was around about that time that my account got blocked for no apparent reason. It was unblocked by Jeremy with an apology but no explanation. I do wonder whether this was linked to that incident, nah probably not.

I'm still looking for a self-ban Greasemonkey script

It wasn't so much poking the bear with a big pointy stick, it was more like tickling the Groundspeak frog under the chin

I'm all for playing devils advocate but Jeremy's behaviour was inexcusable. It was a total sense of humour bypass that only made him look stupid. How anyone can justify banning someone for 3 months based on using their avatar is beyond me. C'mon, if you used Bill from GAGB's avatar or profile pic on here - or MrsBs - or Mongers or whoever, would you expect, or deserve such a ban?

The other alternative of course, is to persistently brown-nose Groundspeak. They do have a fantastic website, but a forum is to discuss, not to solely praise, and it's also to have a bit of banter and dish a bit of stick. Nicking, in the loosest sense of the word, someones avatar, is hardly a heinous crime, and is merely part of the everyday tomfoolery that goes along on most normal forums.

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post

It wasn't so much poking the bear with a big pointy stick, it was more like tickling the Groundspeak frog under the chin

I'm all for playing devils advocate but Jeremy's behaviour was inexcusable. It was a total sense of humour bypass that only made him look stupid. How anyone can justify banning someone for 3 months based on using their avatar is beyond me. C'mon, if you used Bill from GAGB's avatar or profile pic on here - or MrsBs - or Mongers or whoever, would you expect, or deserve such a ban?

The other alternative of course, is to persistently brown-nose Groundspeak. They do have a fantastic website, but a forum is to discuss, not to solely praise, and it's also to have a bit of banter and dish a bit of stick. Nicking, in the loosest sense of the word, someones avatar, is hardly a heinous crime, and is merely part of the everyday tomfoolery that goes along on most normal forums.

Mongers, Mongers! who gave you permission to call me Mongers 18 month ban it is

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    Mongers, Mongers! who gave you permission to call me Mongers 18 month ban it is

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post

How anyone can justify banning someone for 3 months based on using their avatar is beyond me.
    120 days was 4 months when I was a lass Mark

Sorry pet just being pedantic hmy:

I think 3 days is bad for a daft giggle, someone wants a sense of humour pill

M

Quote Originally Posted by Us 4 and Jess View Post
    120 days was 4 months when I was a lass Mark

Sorry pet just being pedantic hmy:

I think 3 days is bad for a daft giggle, someone wants a sense of humour pill

M
    and I bet they were better months too mandy! Months these days just aren't what they used to be...

Why go back to the other place? Some people are making a concerted effort to get everyone here. Not me.... I'm now just trying to keep reminding myself not to get involved in the forums both here and there.

One can't upset anyone if one keeps one's gob firmly shut!
    Ahh another recovering forum adict.

Perhaps we need a forum all to ourselves to help us recover !

For a list of angsty forum threads have a look here

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...opic=140550&hl=

Unfortunately its in off topic so premium members only.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    Ahh another recovering forum adict.

Perhaps we need a forum all to ourselves to help us recover !

For a list of angsty forum threads have a look here

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...opic=140550&hl=

Unfortunately its in off topic so premium members only.
    That's a great link - Thanks!

I've just read through the idea of the "un-used medicines cache". :wacko:

Will read the rest later... :socool:

That's a great link - Thanks!

I've just read through the idea of the "un-used medicines cache". :wacko:

Will read the rest later... :socool:
    Ohh boblog well worth a read

And finally

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...&#entry1262250
    Last edited by markandlynn; 24th October 2008 at 02:00 PM.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

What happened to the days when folks just went out caching instead of getting embroiled into the politics of Groundspeak?

Quote Originally Posted by The Book Of Shadows View Post
    What happened to the days when folks just went out caching instead of getting embroiled into the politics of Groundspeak?
    Can't afford to go caching coz of the price of petrol

Quote Originally Posted by The Phillimore Clan View Post
    Can't afford to go caching coz of the price of petrol
    Apparently the cost of petrol is going to be below 90p a litre soon, sods law I no longer have a car

nobbynobbs Guest

not for long as they've voted to slow production of oil so the price can go up again for the poor sheiks who must be down to their last couple of billions by now!!!

Simply Paul Guest

Staying on topic, I'll be able to reply to Haggis Hunter and others at The Other Place after 3.30am-ish tomorrow morning. In the meantime I've been warmed by my Doppelgangers. I very much feel like I'm still there, in spirit anyway.

I've used my time off constructively, and have perhaps come up with something potentially better than caching. Yes, I know, it's not possible, but bees flying shouldn't be possible either... I've looked at what caching used to offer me, what I still like about it, its limits, failings and problems, and mixed in some ideas I think will appeal to the average cacher and out-door-user too. It's not a UK-specific caching site; I don't think people really want one of those. This would be a pastime players could do in parallel with caching, while offering them 'lots of other stuff' I think geocaching should already do. When I've spoken about it to some other people, and pinned down a name (the right mix of geeky-cool or cool-geekiness is needed), I hope to be able to explain more about it here. The people I've run it by so far were impressed and excited, and I deliberately picked jaded people hard to impress

jerryo Guest

It occurs to me that this might all be my fault! I archived my Muggle This! cache then there was the thread about extreme caches and this was followed up by the moderation thread and all that it led to. Whoopsy, sorry guys .

Simply Paul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wadders View Post
    Just kinda caught up with this thread. and IMHO yes it was a "prank" however the type of facial hair given to him caught easily have been interpeteated in a "german" way, draw a big nose, or give him rosey red cheeks and he probably would not have reacted in the way that he did. 120 days, now whos the child, talk about throwing the dummy out of the pram!!!
    I just reread this and wanted to make it clear that the picture I used on the other forum was just Jeremy's (or currykev's?), not the doctored one with the tash. Jeremy suggested I'd tried to wind the mods up by using his picture, I said that wasn't my intention and sent him a picture that I could have used if that had been my aim. It wasn't made by me, and was only sent to Jezza for illustrative purposes. I still don't see how it's automatically Hitler though- is it something about Jeremy's flick hairstyle in that photo?

I still don't see how it's automatically Hitler though- is it something about Jeremy's flick hairstyle in that photo?
    Well surely that 'tache is only going to bring one of three people to mind Chaplin, Hitler, or Mr Gumby depending on the context and the point of view of the reader. Considering the whole discussion was about the authoritarian tendencies of the moderation and the heavy handed (ab)use of power then it sort of rules out Chaplin & Mr Gumby doesn't it?

My brain hurts :wacko:

Simply Paul Guest

I may have been suggesting that Jeremy was being a clown, or a right Charlie, or would look stupid with a tash. Or was balancing a slug. I can see why people are putting another spin on it though. What the hell; if you want to see Jeremy as a Dictator, I'm not going to stop you. Nor, perhaps, would I want to

scottpa100 Guest

Gosh - you go away for a couple of weeks and a lot of things happen! There is no denying that the UK Groundspeak forums are loads quieter than what they were.

To which end Paul, I'd just take it all on the chin what has happened and move on. Part of the reason why I've gone quieter in the GS forums is that you can't just say what you want to say. For people hailing from the 'land of the free' our UK interpretation of free speech and just saying what's on your mind and maybe having a laugh (even with dark humour) is seems to be more 'free'.

I feel sorry for newbies as the newbies may not, despite postings aplenty in the GS forum, stumble across the GAGB forum until much later. By that stage not realising what a helpful bunch of peeps are ready to help others on the forums.

Step up and move on. Keep on caching - remember... that's what brought us all here and to the Groundspeak forums. the forums were, originally, secondary... the caching came first!

I just reread this and wanted to make it clear that the picture I used on the other forum was just Jeremy's (or currykev's?), not the doctored one with the tash. Jeremy suggested I'd tried to wind the mods up by using his picture, I said that wasn't my intention and sent him a picture that I could have used if that had been my aim. It wasn't made by me, and was only sent to Jezza for illustrative purposes. I still don't see how it's automatically Hitler though- is it something about Jeremy's flick hairstyle in that photo?
    Ah ok, i obviously missed that point, so you only used his avatar, unaltered!
    If thats the case Jeremy needs to grab his GPS, turn it on, get out in those woods and find that sense of humour that he's lost:wacko:

fraggle69 Guest

Guess you're right SP.
    After following a link supplied by someone I merely asked if they were implying that Jeremy was gay. I had my question removed and I was warned. When I re-submitted the bit that was censored I got a 3day ban.
    ooooh I am soo upset lol I think I might have to go away and cry myself to sleep. boohoo hoobooo boohooo

arrrrrr keelhaul his avatar that there's a fine lookin plank m'lad yoho:cheers:

Simply Paul Guest

Sorry to hear that fraggle, but as you saw in my email and posts, I thought I saw it coming. You're a very naughty boy. Go to your room and think about what just happened. I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed... etc. etc. Now, Ellen DeGeneres *is* gay, yes, but I don't think it follows that Jeremy is too. I've met his wife, which I know if proof of nothing, but it does hint at heterosexuality. (I typed Jeremy as Germany at first. Where the hell did that come from?!)

fraggle69 Guest

Sorry to hear that fraggle, but as you saw in my email and posts, I thought I saw it coming. You're a very naughty boy. Go to your room and think about what just happened. I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed... etc. etc. Now, Ellen DeGeneres *is* gay, yes, but I don't think it follows that Jeremy is too. I've met his wife, which I know if proof of nothing, but it does hint at heterosexuality. (I typed Jeremy as Germany at first. Where the hell did that come from?!)
    wie yaaarrrrr

Fluffy's Revenge Guest

Why cant I use an Avatar?

Is it cos I'm straight?

Fluffy

information

Information

content

Fluffy's Revenge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by studlyone View Post
    information

Information

content

Thanks, when I went there before there was only the top part and it was not possible to switch off the "Do not use an avatar" button

But now it works, ta

Fluffy