Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Fairy Tale?

Wink A Fairy Tale?

See my post on page 2
    Last edited by Pharisee; 6th November 2008 at 07:49 AM.
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharisee View Post
    So the children of Forumnia wait in the hope that one day a Hero will come forth and he will run and jump and talk loudly enough to break the spell and banish the darkness from the land. Freeze Peach will be set free and her threads returned to her and the land of Forumnia will once again become the happy and joyous place it once was. A place where the children can play their sometimes boisterous games and expend their youthful energy safe in the knowledge that Freeze Peach is looking after them and none will get hurt.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    As one who has played and fallen foul in the land of Freeze Peach so mentioned, I fear the underworld will have to Freeze too before Forumnia will return to her magical ways.

Excellent!

Alan White Guest

Amusing

Sorry, but I just have to deal with the common misinterpretation of the 1st Amendment. The key words are Congress shall make no law...

The background to the drafting of the Constitution and Bill of Rights is that the States, who were in the process of federalisation, were keen to ensure that the federal government had only such powers as the states were prepared to give them. Thus the words mean that Congress can't, inter alia, abridge freedom of speech. There's nothing - at least not in the US Consititution - to prevent the states, NGOs or commercial entities from doing so.

Does anyone have a Smilie for a yawn?

Ending the post in smileys doesn't disguise the fact that this comes across as a personal attack against some good people, who I'm happy to call friends, who really don't deserve such treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz666 View Post
    Ending the post in smileys doesn't disguise the fact that this comes across as a personal attack against some good people, who I'm happy to call friends, who really don't deserve such treatment.
    Oh give me a break! This is supposed to be a forum about geocaching.
    A very amusing post was written and then someone points out the technical inaccuracies in the post - nothing to do with geocaching.

If I post a discussion paper on Inverse Fourier transforms or Laplace's equation I might expect technical criticism, but a humorous post??

Could you do one on Least Square Average please, I'd like to understand that a bit better......

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz666 View Post
    Sorry but I don't agree that the original was a personal attack. It was a criticism certainly but done in a humorous way. There's a world of difference between criticism and a personal attack. On a discussion forum it is quite in order to criticise someone you disagree with, over the years I've certainly taken my fair share. However if you accept a public position you must be prepared to take the rough with the smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by esim View Post
    Could you do one on Least Square Average please, I'd like to understand that a bit better......
    Would you like the 10 minute version or the full 20 minutes?

Here's a layman's summary:

Imagine you're trying to fit a line through a set of points and you want it to be as
    close as possible to the points. One way to do this is to minimize
    the sum of the distances of the points from the line. But this might
    lead to the line passing through some points while other points are
    very far away from the line. So instead what least squares fitting
    does is tries to get every point as equally close to the line as it
    can get it. The way to do this is to make sure that no point is far
    from the average distance away from the line. In statistical terms
    this means you are trying to minimize the standard deviation of the
    distances of the points from the line.

We use squares of numbers to figure out the standard deviation.
    If a point is really far away from the line that really increases the
    standard deviation since the distance away from the line is squared
    which makes its value much bigger. On the other hand if the distance
    between the point and the line is small, then squaring it makes it
    even smaller. This creates a fit that gives each point close to an average
    distance away from the line.

(Cubic and quartic regressions rely on cubic and quartic equations
    which model the data points. The trick is to pick three or four
    points at random and then create a cubic or quartic polynomial to fit
    them and hope it fits the rest of the data points. Logistic regression
    use logarithmic expressions to fit a set of data points in much the
    same way as cubic and quartic regressions do.)

Hope this helps,

Neil

active cacher Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post

If I post a discussion paper on Inverse Fourier transforms or Laplace's equation I might expect technical criticism, but a humorous post??
    I'm soooo tempted to ask what Laplace's equation is all about, but I don't want to appear dim.....
    And I ended my reply with a smiley because this is a light hearted forum!

Quote Originally Posted by active cacher View Post
    I'm soooo tempted to ask what Laplace's equation is all about, but I don't want to appear dim.....
    And I ended my reply with a smiley because this is a light hearted forum!
    If you really want to know, PM me. I am sure most of the Geocachers on here would not be interested.

Neil

dino Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    Sorry but I don't agree that the original was a personal attack. It was a criticism certainly but done in a humorous way. There's a world of difference between criticism and a personal attack. On a discussion forum it is quite in order to criticise someone you disagree with, over the years I've certainly taken my fair share. However if you accept a public position you must be prepared to take the rough with the smooth.
    I got to say something here! That post is spiteful and nasty, written in such a way as to appear humourous but definitely not for Lucilla who it is blatantly aimed at! It's nothing more than a thinly veiled personal attack and I'm sad and frankly disappointed that you are even trying to condone it! The fact that it is posted here and not on the Groundspeak forum speaks volumes as to the intent

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I got to say something here! That post is spiteful and nasty, written in such a way as to appear humourous but definitely not for Lucilla who it is blatantly aimed at! It's nothing more than a thinly veiled personal attack and I'm sad and frankly disappointed that you are even trying to condone it! The fact that it is posted here and not on the Groundspeak forum speaks volumes as to the intent
    err, you might want to apologise to the hornet there - if you follow the thread, you'll find that he was commenting on Jaz's comment on Lost In Space's comment that followed Alan's comment about the consititution.

I did wonder whether the original post was somewhat harsh towards mandarin, but hornet wasn't talking about that.

edit to say, maybe he was - I'm lost - ignore me, nothing to see, move on!
    Last edited by Dave Gerrie; 5th November 2008 at 09:24 PM.