Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: etrex vista hcx advice

forestferret Guest

Default etrex vista hcx advice

yay my garmin vista arrived this morning had a little play with it

it came with 2 discs 1 is the owners manual (self expalnatry)
    the other disc is trig and waypoint manager

what do i need to do with the second disc (trig n waypoint)

and is there any other advice you might be able to share with me on using my vista ?? i mainly going to use it for geocaching

im not that techy savvy so a lot of the stuff on there is confusing
    but so far im impressed i put the batts in turned it on and it had located 6 sattalites from inside my house i cant even get a lock in our garden with my nokia n95

many thanks darren

Ponder Stibbons Guest

Hi Darren,

I've got the Vista Hcx as well. I've been using it for geocaching since April this year and have been extremely happy with it.

To be honest, you don't need to install the trig and waypoint manager at all.

There are two very good and simple options for getting cache information on to your Hcx:

(1) For a quick way to bulk load caches on to the Vista (e.g. to load all the caches in your local area), you can use Garmin's Go Geocaching tool. You can find the Go Geocaching tool at my dot garmin dot com under myExtras and then Go Geocaching. Note registration is needed to access the tool but this is free.

(2) If you just want to load caches individually and you're a premium member on Geocaching.com, you can use the "Send to GPS" link on the cache pages. The first time you do this, you'll be prompted to install the plugin to allow your browser to access your GPS.

Personally, I've now moved over to using Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) to load up my GPS instead (although I still sometime use method 2 above). This is an incredibly flexible piece of software and works well in combination with Geocaching.com's pocket query feature. However there are two caveats:

(1) GSAK costs money (but it is well worth it); and

(2) the interface can be quite daunting for non-computer literate people. :wacko:

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other queries about the Hcx. I'm happy to help.

Regards,

Adrian.

PS. Apologies for the obscure URL above (just replace dot with .). I'd have posted the link but unfortunately the forum won't let me as I've only just registered.

forestferret Guest

thanks ponder sorry for the late thanks only just found out someone had reply to my thread i thought it was long dead
    thanks for the usfull infomation

been using my vista hcx for couple of weeks now and im very impressed with it great piece of kit :cheers::cheers::socool:

zwei ormers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder Stibbons View Post
    (2) If you just want to load caches individually and you're a premium member on Geocaching.com, you can use the "Send to GPS" link on the cache pages. The first time you do this, you'll be prompted to install the plugin to allow your browser to access your GPS.
    Hmmm, I'm NOT a premium member and I was able to 'send to GPS' quite happily