Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: The Active Satmap 10

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Active Satmap 10

I am current using a Satmap unit for geocaching and I have to admit I am finding it very restrictive. It takes an age to log sat's from a cold start. It will not recognise GPX files from the geocaching.com, so everyone has to be entered manually.

Has anyone had any greater success with one of these units???

Had one of these units late last year. I concur that from a cold start it takes an eternity to lock and find your position. I also found that the error message saying it was unable to find SD card and hence maps kept popping up with infuriating frequency. Not a lot of use when you wish to know your position with some urgency. That said, at the time, the concept is great just a pity the unit does not live up to its promises. Got rid of mine within the space of a month.

Seems the Garmin Colorado is now able to take OS maps but only for a limited series of Nat Parks.

I also have the Road Angel Adventurer which has the whole of the N England on SD card but the drawback it will not let you navigate using these maps and hence not a lot of use for caching. Still find the unit very good and just a small step up from traditional map and compass.

eranou Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danf1234 View Post
    I am current using a Satmap unit for geocaching and I have to admit I am finding it very restrictive. It takes an age to log sat's from a cold start. It will not recognise GPX files from the geocaching.com, so everyone has to be entered manually.

Has anyone had any greater success with one of these units???
    danf1234, i've just purchased a SatMap yesterday and found that it locks onto satellites as quickly as my old Garmin Legend C and also accepts Geocaching.com GPX files without any problems.

I had initially set my sights on the new garmin Oregon, and also looked at the Colorado but decided against either of these two due to the size of the screens and poor reviews about screen brightness. I must admit that the garmin package has most bases covered in terms of functionality and design, but having seen the SatMap in the flesh (so to speak) it had the edge in terms of robustness and useability for me.

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware for your SatMap? I believe it's now version 1.200. This may help your unit recognise the GPX files.

Hope this helps.

Default Geocaching.Com GPX files

Hi Eranou
    How do you manage to download these files onto your Active 10?
    Andy

99blooming9 Guest

Default Download GPX files

I use satsync a program from satmap ( my satmap active 10 plus came with the program) just save the gpx file then send it to the satmap via a usb cable. I have a feeling that the program is a further 75 quid if you dont have a plus model but I dont know.

Having played with a friend's SatMap my main concern is that the SatMap doesn't seem to have a way of storing 'finds'

99blooming9 Guest

Default poi

I wonder if you can help me, I use a Satmap active 10 and download cache pages as .gpx files using satsync.
    How come when I hover the curser over some of the cache icons ( look like parcels) and I press the joystick the "web page" will appear last 5 logs and the hint.
    and when I hover over other "parcels" and press the joystick I dont get the "web page" displayed?
    I can always access the "web page" using the POI files but some times it can be difficult to determine which file is ascosciated with which icon(parcel) I found your user name from the forums after you gave another user some advice about setting the gps to degrees and dec mins, I spoke to the guys at Satmap and he struggled to understand my problem