Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Which caches ??? would you preserve

Cool Which caches ??? would you preserve

OK you have the power, the ability and the inclination and can preserve three caches forever. Which ones would you save and why (active or archived are OK) UK, Ireland and Crown dependencies only please.

One of your own caches
    In the steps of beelzebub.
    Just a great experience we look forward to maintaining this one and the logs are so long (apart from one) it makes us smile every time its found as we know what the seekers have just done. (would have put one step to heaven in here but its a maintainance / muggle nightmare)

A cache you have found.
    Race the clock bath.
    Sadly archived but a great combination of puzzle (we dont like puzzles normally but this was clever) technology and locations arround Bath and nearby.

A cache you want to find.
    Flotsam and jetsam extreme
    A true example of cache creativity without the need to resort to impossible puzzles.

Favourite cachers caches.
    Happy Humphrey.
    Not a dud amongst them and in our case a lot of inspiration for the caches we have set since (arkks came a close second here)

:cheers:
    Last edited by markandlynn; 13th November 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: darn capitals sneaking in to the title adding linky goodness
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Alan White Guest

That's at least four caches .

Anyway, it made us think . Here are the results from the Berkshire jury...

One of your own caches
    The Bracknell Ramble
    Sadly archived, but a very popular mixture of simple puzzles and unusual hides.

A cache you have found.
    Your Mission..........
    The best cache in the history of the world. In our experience anyway. Good puzzles with variety, great locations, a weekend away. A holiday in a cache .

Catch Cromwell Jump Jump
    Our closest to home oldest unfound. We've just never had the time or inclination to put in the necessary effort.

A tie here:
    Simply Paul, well written and amusing cache pages, all do-able caches, and pleasant and often historic locations
    Team Hippo: Clever yet do-able puzzles
    Brambler: A combination of all of the above.
    Hmm...perhaps Brambler wins.

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    Happy Humphrey.
    Not a dud amongst them and in our case a lot of inspiration for the caches we have set since (arkks came a close second here)
    Thanks! Hope you get chance to return and find some of the latest ones.
    I've found 9 aRRKS caches, and can vouch for their quality!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan White View Post
    That's at least four caches .

Shhh its a guideline

Bracknel ramble was on our watchlist for quite a while
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Simply Paul Guest

One of your own caches
    Got to be Subterranean Subaqua, in London. All my physical caches could be copied and replaced by someone else, so it's only this virt that would 'need' to be saved.

A cache you have found.
    Funny Faces, in SW Scotland. Well off the tourist trail, and one of those curiosities you can't imagine lasting many places. A virtual, for the same reasons as those above.

Europe's First, in Ireland. Physicals can be replaced, but a listing is a listing, and this was the first real cache this side of the pond. Another one at the same spot wouldn't be Europe's First...

Got to be Dan & Pid. Not that many left now, but they all took me somewhere I was glad to discover. The advantage of being first to the scene in a particular area I guess. Lots of clever hides and quirky caches along the way. Alibags or thehoomer if I'm in the mood for numbers and want to hit a canal towpath with my bike, or drsolly's Chiltern series for a long walk, but big numbers... Who's that guy who set up loads of the UK's Webcam caches? They need saving too!

One of your own caches
    Well it has to be "Snorkeler's Reward" (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...spx?wp=GC174FV) because it's the culmination of a lot of effort. I chose to archive it and avoid geolitter when it became clear that the cache was more likely to be washed away in a flood than found by cachers. However, if it were not a holiday cache I'd have relocated it to a more durable hiding place and let someone find it 10 years later.

In its absence it would have to be "Border Crossing: Austria - Switzerland" (https://www.terracaching.com/viewcache.cgi?C=TC9J4) because it's another high-endurance cache that requires sound planning.

If you were to insist on a UK cache it would have to be "Heaven and Hell: 6 feet under" (https://www.terracaching.com/viewcache.cgi?C=TCCHY) which is another unfound swine. Ask those who have completed the baby version, GC14P83, which is a mere D5/T5.

A cache you have found.
    Well, it's still Mark and Lynn's "One Step to Heaven". Sorry, you've got to maintain it even if it's muggle heaven and maintenance hell.

Too many to choose from. There was a D5/T5 multicache that took in about 5 peaks around Aletschgletscher which would have taken about a week of high altitude hiking to complete, but it has gone and I did not bookmark it. So, a very worthy replacement for this dream cache is Denali:The eXpedition (http://www.opencaching.de/viewcache.php?wp=OC5E3C) which was also due to be GC1D8TH but presumably ran into issues during GC review h34r:

I really can't say. Ask me again when I've done 2000 caches, not 500! I've never done any of his 200+, however, a kindred spirit would be marzipancurtis, so I think I'd enjoy them a great deal.

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    One of your own caches
    In its absence it would have to be "Border Crossing: Austria - Switzerland" (https://www.terracaching.com/viewcache.cgi?C=TC9J4) because it's another high-endurance cache that requires sound planning.
    I feel a trip to Austria coming on

That one sounds worth a good chunk of points

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Icenians View Post
    I feel a trip to Austria coming on

That one sounds worth a good chunk of points
    Especially if you place some more caches within 100 miles

One of our own caches:
    Some of our caches we create together, others are more 'his' or 'mine'. As these are my choices I'll go for Nutnabber's Home. It doesn't get done very often because it's a multi that takes a couple of hours but it gets appreciative logs.

A cache I've found:
    Difficult to choose one - some of the contenders were "Scilly Island Hopper" (an odd multi, but wonderful scenery throughout), "First in Wales" (for obvious reasons mentioned elsewhere), "Wildcat" (something for everyone in this puzzle we did for our 500th), Wye Valley Ghost Train (too late for this one as the tunnel has now been gated and locked) but my preservation order will have to be stuck on the whole UnderWorld Series in Devon. It gave me such a great sense of achievement to do them.

A cache I want to find:
    I've got several cave caches on my Watchlist (Paper cave, Cave Troll's Lair, Look into the light) and others include "You're having a laugh", "Don't Look Down II", "One step to Heaven"... all ones I'd like to find. If I have to be realistic and choose just the one it'll have to be "Off piste and in the dark" which is not too far away and I hope to get to it next year.

Favourite cacher's caches.
    Sorry, but I don't have one - Done lots of good caches by a variety of cachers in different parts of the country.

One of your own caches
    Around the Island in Eight days
    A trail which is based on a very simple concept but which takes a lot of thought and effort to complete, and might take you all over the island (depending on how quickly you "twig"). A couple of twists makes it a bit unusual. Great feedback from the few that have succeeded.

A cache you have found.
    So many, really, but
    Wrekin Havoc was a fine finale to a great geocaching day out. Nothing fancy, but a nicely balanced series which is sufficiently absorbing and takes you to many interesting little spots. Classic caching.

Again, so many, but Spencer Cashell has been on my list for as long as I can remember. This is a cache by Mickledore, who was probably the most creative cache hider in the country until he resigned due to forum woes a few years ago. His caches were so well thought of that they have been looked after ever since.

Pieman has to take the accolade.
    He's created a bunch of unusual, creative and well thought out caches that are satisfying to find and only a bit evil.
    Steve (The Windsockers) deserves a mention: I've not had the opportunity to take on many of his challenges, but inspired by a couple of visits to the Isle of Man he's taken Irish geocaching to a new level. Monsters like That Nagging Cache (which tend to attract logs like this one) are balanced by less challenging offerings.

Some interesting replies here (wish there were more) the most interesting thing ive noticed is that my almost throwaway line at the end of favourite cachers caches has given me more targets to look for, great cache hiders do seem to rise from the hazy fog of poor cache hiders.

One of your own caches
    Soda's Stash
    It's such a simple, traditional cache but it has caused a lot of finders trouble.... and it's very easy for me to maintain.

A cache you have found
    A Midsummer Nights Dream
    In Puck's Glen on the west coast of Scotland. An absolutely knock-out location. Still at the top of my favourites list 5.1/2 years after finding it!

A cache you want to find
    I honestly don't know.... There are 35,000 to choose from

Favourite cacher's caches
    Those set in the north of England by Walker Dan. One of my favourite caching locations is around Weardale on the Durham / Northumberland border and Walker Dan's caches have never failed to deliver the goods. Usually a good, long, uphill trek with stunning scenery. I always feel a huge sense of satisfaction after completing one.
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Gone but not forgotten (a cache we have found)
    Trek to the Severn

Sadly now archived but probably our all time favourite
    Supporting Box Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy and the Lizard King View Post
    Gone but not forgotten (a cache we have found)
    Trek to the Severn

Sadly now archived but probably our all time favourite
    Remember it well. I believe apart from the final ammo box it is still in place and one of our all time favourites but we had to choose one

What we found most remarkable was the people who did not do it, a sign of things to come not enough smileys for a day's caching

One of your own caches

Matrix 1
    It's only a simple, traditional cache but it was my first born :wub:

A cache you have found

Mumbles Hill Cache

simply because it was my first find

A cache you want to find

I honestly don't know.... sorry

Favourite cacher's caches
    Not an easy one this ......its probably between 2 If I am honest Eclectic Penguin because I have yet to think that the cache was in a bad place, and Zetetic for the same reason....I wish mine were as good

200th post seemed appropriate to bump into this.

I note that marzipancurtis has attracted praise in other quarters.

I feel a marzipan trip coming on as they are just in day caching distance.