Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Am I a criminal?

Default Am I a criminal?

Whilst out caching at the weekend I was asked by a 'birder' what I was looking for in a hedgerow. He spotted me some way off as he was in a hide. Didn't spot the muggle else I'd have walked on.

The hedgerow in question was along a defined bridleway. When I explained about geocaching he advised me that looking, poking around in hedgerows is an illegal activity and is liable to a fine of a minium £1000. What is more I was disturbing nesting birds and should stop my activity and clear orf. He had called the police.

It's not as if we were pulling the hedge apart. As it was autumn you could see in the hedge and we certainly weren't pulling it or destroying it to find the cache.

Once I softened his agressive approach and talked to him he was a sort of pleasant gentleman. I believe as the cache was only posted in June it was a case of NIMBY'ism. The cache had been muggled.

I'm not sure under what law I would be prosecuted does anyone know? Crimnal damage? I guess that knocks on the head years of picking fuirt from hedgerows. Or would that be theft.

Police never turned up all bluff and bluster. We went on our way to the next cache after saying goodbye and on good terms.
    Ho hum!

Hedgerows are protected by the Hedgerows Regulations 1997.

Under the regulations, it is against the law to remove or destroy certain hedgerows without permission from the local planning authority.

Permission is required before removing hedges that are at least 20 metres in length, over 30 years old and contain certain species of plant.

The local planning authority will asses the importance of the hedgerow using criteria set out in the regulations.

Hedgerows in areas covered by a Historic Landscape Characterisation are often protected on the basis of historic importance and their wildlife value.

A summary of the law is contained in the Defra leaflet Hedgerow Regulations: Your Question Answered. More detailed guidance is contained in The Hedgerows Regulations 1997: A Guide to the Law and Good Practice. You can request a copy of these, free of charge, by emailing farmland.conservation@defra.gsi.gov.uk.

There appears to be no specific provision for damaging a hedgerow per se, so the twit(cher) was probably talking out of thier bottom!

Made me chuckle to myself to arrive at the cache I'd stumbled through farmers tractor wheel ruts, cut up bridleways from horse riders and the hedges have been cut, sorry thrashed, to within a 1mm of their life by mechanical strimmer type thing.

Oh and there was me looking in a hedge
    Ho hum!

What is more I was disturbing nesting birds
    At this time of year?
    Not a very good birdwatcher!

Next time, say that you are checking the plant life/insect life in the hedge, or counting the number of plant species in the hedge to determine its age...
    (So many species in a certain length = 100 years of age for a hedge)

edit to add
    A possible cause for complaint, if its a hide, is the cache is placed in the area viewed by users of the hide, thus you scare off any birds being watched...
    Last edited by Bear and Ragged; 17th November 2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added a bit more!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

I think the hide was one of those tent jobbies you assemble on the hoof so to speak.
    Ho hum!

If looking in the hedgerow is a criminal act then we'd all better leave the country double quick! What a nutcase. Well done for keeping your cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    Next time, say that you are checking the plant life/insect life in the hedge, or counting the number of plant species in the hedge to determine its age...
    (So many species in a certain length = 100 years of age for a hedge)
    Or, use the 'tried and tested', "I'm just looking for my dog's ball - I'm sure it went in here somewhere..."

Of course this excuse falls flat if you don't actually have a dog with you (bad planning on your part ), in which case you should at least be carrying a dog lead with you and when further questioning ensues you follow up with, "Oh, he's a border collie, he went that way..." <Pause for broad arm gesture encompassing the distant horizon>
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 17th November 2008 at 04:58 PM.

[quote=Mrs Blorenge;24617]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post

Of course this excuse falls flat if you don't actually have a dog with you (bad planning on your part ), in which case you should at least be carrying a dog lead with you and when further questioning ensues you follow up with, "Oh, he's a border collie, he went that way..." <Pause for broad arm gesture encompassing the distant horizon>

Sounds like a case of Geodogging..
    Idea taken from another "sport" using a non existent pooch as a prop!!

Ahhh, the dog's ball I like that one.

How about 'I'm looking for my wife, I know I buried her here somewhere'

Think they'll buy it?

Ho hum!

sTeamTraen Guest

My favourite excuse, especially when asked how come my car is there on the very rare occasions when I've driven past the "authorised vehicles only" sign *whistles nonchalantly* is that I lost my phone while out on a walk yesterday and I'm revisiting likely spots and it's probably here because I remember bending down to re-tie my boots round about here and sometimes the phone falls out of my pocket and I haven't got too much time to do the whole walk again (obviously, I try not to sound as much like Vicky Pollard when I tell it).

It helps to not have your phone in said pocket at the time , and to be practised at palming it so as to "find" it a couple of minutes later. Bonus points are awarded if the phone is damp and or muddy (sweeping it through wet leaves as you "find" it helps).

My caching buddy WarCat drives his Freelander down every forest track in Europe; we're working on a 150cm-long official-looking sticker with 12-star flag (hey, it's in the public domain) saying "European Forestry Protection Service" in 3 languages to put on the doors.

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    in which case you should at least be carrying a dog lead with you and when further questioning ensues you follow up with, "Oh, he's a border collie, he went that way..." <Pause for broad arm gesture encompassing the distant horizon>
    :lol: I now have this mental picture of a park full of helpers searching for a non existant dog :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Icenians View Post
    :lol: I now have this mental picture of a park full of helpers searching for a non existant dog :lol:
    You've got it.

Or, hopefully, you will have, by then...

My understanding is there is a common law right to take things from hedges (the wonders of a non-written constitution - any lawyers out there). I have a vague memory that this is called Hodge-Podge, and gave rise to the saying as meals made this way would contain all sorts of different things.

I may be wide of the mark but it sounds good.

Team Sieni Guest

You do realise it is illegal to let a non-existent dog run free. They should be kept on a lead at all times, otherwise they may worry the unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by rufty tufty boys View Post
    My understanding is there is a common law right to take things from hedges (the wonders of a non-written constitution - any lawyers out there). I have a vague memory that this is called Hodge-Podge, and gave rise to the saying as meals made this way would contain all sorts of different things.

I may be wide of the mark but it sounds good.
    Sounds convincing to me. At least, more convincing than the notion that looking at hedgerows is a criminal offence!

Although judging from the recent Forestry Commission moves to stop people gathering firewood (in case they fall over and hurt themselves), it may be that we're soon to be banned from inspecting hedges, just in case we trip over while distracted by a hawthorn berry.

Quote Originally Posted by rufty tufty boys View Post
    I have a vague memory that this is called Hodge-Podge,....
    Shouldn't that be HEDGE Podge... (I'll get me coat!)

Fines for looking in hedges? Nesting birds in November : Invisible dogs and shy unicorns :wacko: Firewood collecting dangerous? Geo-dogging and hodge-podging? hmy:

I'M SORRY...

opcorn:

Fines for looking in hedges? Nesting birds in November : Invisible dogs and shy unicorns :wacko: Firewood collecting dangerous? Geo-dogging and hodge-podging? hmy:

I'M SORRY...

opcorn:
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

That should be in the "Fluffy Bunny" Topic over in the Other Place!

This should be in that thread see above my right hand ...............h34r:h34r:h34r:h34r:h34r:h34r:
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

That looks a scary place: wonder where it is?

Interesting investigation. Apparently the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 gives the right to gather wild plants as long as they are not on the protected list and you do not uproot them. This is reported as I haven't found the relevant bit yet. This would seem to indicate that poking arround in a hedge is OK - would have been interesting to have quoted this back at your Birder.

Not as good as "Hodge Podge" though (which may be part of the Magna Carta; certainly collecting wood seems to be). I'm looking forward now to telling the next Muggle who asks me what I'm doing that I'm exercising my ancient right of Hodge Podge.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Sounds convincing to me. At least, more convincing than the notion that looking at hedgerows is a criminal offence!

Although judging from the to stop people gathering firewood (in case they fall over and hurt themselves), it may be that we're soon to be banned from inspecting hedges, just in case we trip over while distracted by a hawthorn berry.
    Sounds more like an attempt to ensure that Joe public can once again be ripped off, using elfin safety as 'justification'.

I was driving along the A361 out of Daventry to Kilsby just last week and some bloke was loading his car up with wood he was pulling out of a hedgerow. He may have had farmer's consent of course but I reckon he spied some fallen branches and decided to load them in his car.

From now on, if asked, I'll let the busy boddy know my dog chased a unicorn who'd knicked my mobile phone who in turn tripped over the dogs ball and dropped my phone in the hedge.
    Ho hum!

fraggle69 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Watford Wobble View Post
    Whilst out caching at the weekend I was asked by a 'birder' what I was looking for in a hedgerow. He spotted me some way off as he was in a hide. Didn't spot the muggle else I'd have walked on.

The hedgerow in question was along a defined bridleway. When I explained about geocaching he advised me that looking, poking around in hedgerows is an illegal activity and is liable to a fine of a minium £1000. What is more I was disturbing nesting birds and should stop my activity and clear orf. He had called the police.

It's not as if we were pulling the hedge apart. As it was autumn you could see in the hedge and we certainly weren't pulling it or destroying it to find the cache.

Once I softened his agressive approach and talked to him he was a sort of pleasant gentleman. I believe as the cache was only posted in June it was a case of NIMBY'ism. The cache had been muggled.

I'm not sure under what law I would be prosecuted does anyone know? Crimnal damage? I guess that knocks on the head years of picking fuirt from hedgerows. Or would that be theft.

Police never turned up all bluff and bluster. We went on our way to the next cache after saying goodbye and on good terms.
    Well I can't say assault on a hedegrow is a criminal offence, though if it had been me I might have thrown the brider in the hedge and moved quickly on to the next cache QEF! []

Quote Originally Posted by Team Sieni View Post
    You do realise it is illegal to let a non-existent dog run free. They should be kept on a lead at all times, otherwise they may worry the unicorns.