Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Committee Elections - procedure

Default Committee Elections - procedure

The election for five committee members of GAGB begins at midnight GMT on Tuesday 18th November, and ends at midnight GMT on Tuesday 25th November.

The candidates, in alphabetical order, are:

Dave of The Wombles
    Jacobite
    Mattwaggie
    mongoose39uk
    nobbynobbs
    Sandvika
    StuartP

Voting is by email to our Returning Officer, Erik van Dyck.

The procedure is as follows.

Each username has one vote, i.e. can vote for one candidate and one only.

Email your vote to Erik88L-R@igc.org with the subject line GAGB VOTE exactly like that in capitals.

Ensure that you use the email address you have registered with GAGB (for validation purposes), and that you include your GAGB username and the name of the candidate you're voting for.

You should receive an acknowledgement of your vote from Erik, and if you don't then feel free to email him to check that your vote has been received. But please bear in mind that Erik will be sending acknowledgements manually, and he's in a different time zone (5 hours slow of us), so please allow a reasonable time period before doing so.

I shall be assisting Erik with validation, but although I'll be validating the names and email addresses of those who've voted against the membership database I won't know for whom they've voted.

Please help us to ensure that everything goes smoothly by following the above procedure exactly, and please ensure that you don't vote before the start time, and don't leave your vote until the last minute in case your email should get delayed.

Thanks!

---
    Bill
    Chairman, GAGB
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Hi Bill, may I ask a question about the procedure? I have a problem with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Ensure that you use the email address you have registered with GAGB (for validation purposes), .....
    The e-mail I use is actually a "redirector" which means that any mail sent to it is redirected to my "real" e-mail account. I do this as a guard against spam (not from GAGB I might add) but the downside is that I cannot SEND e-mails from it. Is it acceptable to quote this in my e-mail to Erik?

Thanks, Peter/The Hornet

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    Hi Bill, may I ask a question about the procedure? I have a problem with:

The e-mail I use is actually a "redirector" which means that any mail sent to it is redirected to my "real" e-mail account. I do this as a guard against spam (not from GAGB I might add) but the downside is that I cannot SEND e-mails from it. Is it acceptable to quote this in my e-mail to Erik?

Thanks, Peter/The Hornet
    Great minds think alike! I set up email addresses in our domain to allow easy blocking of individual addresses when SPAM strikes, and more particularly, who is giving out / selling my email address. It has usefully identified a payment service provider that was skimming off email addresses from merchants and selling them on.

I went through the hassle of setting up my mail client to send email from the usual "receive only" address so that I could vote. I wondered how many others this might affect and how many it might deter from bothering to vote.

Roderick

Peter and Roderick, and anyone else who might have this problem, just PM me through GAGB telling me what email address will appear in the "From" field of your vote, and I'll check for that when validating your vote.

Unpinning this thread.

"Each username has one vote, i.e. can vote for one candidate and one only."

With three positions on the committee to be voted on, how sensible was this?
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

Quote Originally Posted by Muggle View Post

I must admit that I would have preferred to be able to vote for more than one candidate for the number of vacant positions but that's what was decided on up front so I'm happy to go with it. Congrats to the successful candidates.

Well, don't blame me or the committee - that's in the constitution that we want to make changes to.

Just by the way, there were actually five positions vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Just by the way, there were actually five positions vacant.
    That makes it even worse. Can I suggest that this could be looked at for possible change in future.
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

That makes it even worse. Can I suggest that this could be looked at for possible change in future.
    It will be.