Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: What do you do with your own geocoins?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What do you do with your own geocoins?

Keep them in a personal collection?

Release them for travel?

Make copies for release?

Discuss.

I release TB's but keep the geocoins I buy because I like them and don't want to lose them. I do take them along to events for others to discover and enjoy.

The only geocoins I have released are the five Garmin ones as that is what they were intended for.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

I've tried doing various different things with my geocoins which I've released to travel: Some go into the wild as naked as they were minted, some have been drilled and have a small mission tag attached. When I had a 'Pink Flying Pig' geocoin I made a good laminated copy of it and then attached it to a small wooden pink pig - That one travelled happily for some time. At the moment I have a laminate copy of a Cachepillar geocoin attached to a colourful toy caterpillar that's supposedly travelling around the UK coast - Cleadon the Coastal Crawler.
    I know some cachers hate finding 'copy' geocoins in caches but, personally, it doesn't bother me - as long as the name of the geocoin indicates that it's a copy of some description.

All but one of the garmin coins I received have been released. Tha last one shall be released in the next few weeks.

I have a number of unactivated Jeep coins, which I collect since I drive a couple of Jeeps.

I activated a Tread Lightly Black Jeep coin, and put the tracking number on one of my Jeeps. The actual coin remains on display at home, and will be taken to events for others to discover (just in case they don't notice the Jeep in the car park )

Ivan
    Paved Roads: Another fine example of unnecessary Government spending!

I have a growinf collection of geocoins and have released quite a few either through my own account or through those of my two sons. If I really like a coin I usually buy two if they are available, one to keep and one to release.

I don't send out copies but have no problem with others doing so and I can see the logic in doing so. I don't mind finding copies especially if I am expecting to find a copy through the coins description. As coin costs keep rising I may start sending out copies myself but not just yet.

Ian
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

I’ve only recently started collecting geocoins so only have a couple at the moment. Studlyone gave me the idea of purchasing two coins. One to keep and one to release.

We have only recently released our first geocoin to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Whilst staying in Dartmoor we released Northern Ireland 2008 (G12JQT Butternhill). Unfortunately it’s still there, well I hope it is. The cache is a little desolate so not that many cachers. But at least I have another on my desk to admire.

I’ve also two H4H coins. One will definitely be released when we have suitable opportunity and again the other staying on my desk. It could be that in 2009 we’ll be either in the US or Hong Kong. So I’d like to release H4H coin then and fly the flag for our lads and lasses.
    Ho hum!