Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: A great Motorway Mayhem cache?

Default A great Motorway Mayhem cache?

This caught my eye over in the Terracaching Topic
    Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    Can anyone say that a motorway mayhem is a great cache ? honestly ?
    Rather than derail that discussion I thought it was worth separate consideration as a new topic.

Have you found a great MM cache? Maybe 'great' is too much to expect... How about a very good MM cache?

I think that Forked Tong comes into the "very good" category.

Anyone else know of others?
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 24th November 2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Ummm... I'm not telling ya!

Depends on what you like I suppose!

If you take away the MM aspect, and the cache could stand on its own two feet away from a motorway, then to my mind that makes it reasonable.

For example, our own MM cache is a proper ammo can and I feel it would be acceptable if it was away from the motorway. Admittedly, the location isn't brilliant, but its a replacement for one which was at a very nice view, only it got muggled.

I can't recall them off hand, but I'm sure there are good quality caches that happen to be termed MM caches (and vice versa, of course!).

Ai agree that there are a lot of service station car park micros, but there are plenty of other micros that aren't called MM caches. I don't thyink the MM tag is what makes a cache low quality.

Not a very coherent argument here! : I suppose what I'm saying is that I don't see why there should be a difference between MM and any other caches - a bit of imagination and it can be every bit as good as a 'normal' cache.

Ok, so not many of the mayhem caches are all that exciting, I do however like them as they provides a nice break on my travels all over the country. :coffee:

Though I must say that I have left without logging a few of them when they are placed in the less sanitary places. (e.g.at base of trees where dogs and lazy people..)

My favourites are the mayhem's that are not at service stations but can still be reached without getting muddy as I'd usually have to go in to meetings afterwards..

My favourite was stuck under a hub-cap under a hedge. I'd lifted the hubcap to look under it twice before I found it. Another was hidden in a set of cars-eyes. So even though they are not in the most scenic places they can still be a challenge to find.
    Last edited by esim; 24th November 2008 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    This caught my eye over in the Terracaching Topic

Rather than derail that discussion I thought it was worth separate consideration as a new topic.

Have you found a great MM cache? Maybe 'great' is too much to expect... How about a very good MM cache?

I think that Forked Tong comes into the "very good" category.

Anyone else know of others?
    Reading the logs for that i can glean the following we found it in 2006 btw

more than made up for a couple of disappointing caches we've logged over the last week or so.

Many MM caches are a bit dull but this one really excels on all levels

All I will say is if more motorway mayhem caches were like this (as in thought given) I would stop insulting them .

Great title, great cache - very funny and one of the best Motorway Mayhem caches I've done.

Thanks for this cache, it's one of the best Motorway Mayhem caches that I have done, if not the best!

, he recalled that there was a "dead good Motorway Mayhem cache about a Forked Tongue" He thought it
    I had wondered how a micro cache could be rated so highly and now I know why. Brilliant

Very unusual and innovative cache container, why can't more caches be as interesting as this!

Great motorway mayhem cache in a very nice location.

As ever innovation is the key with this one. Its not to hard to find and yet has an interesting slant. Id also say its not really an MM cache, i thought they were meant to be in the service stations ?
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

I don't think MM caches have to be at Service stations: Neither of our two are! As I understand the idea, they should be close enough to a motorway junction to allow someone to take a short break, stretch their legs and find a relatively easy cache.

Our two both require coming off at a motorway junction, driving about half a mile, then parking and doing a short, easy walk to the cache. Each one takes no more than half an hour in total, from coming off the motorway to getting back on it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I don't think MM caches have to be at Service stations: Neither of our two are! As I understand the idea, they should be close enough to a motorway junction to allow someone to take a short break, stretch their legs and find a relatively easy cache.

Our two both require coming off at a motorway junction, driving about half a mile, then parking and doing a short, easy walk to the cache. Each one takes no more than half an hour in total, from coming off the motorway to getting back on it again.
    In which case i own a motorway mayhem cache. :socool:

It is of course the best in the country and im rightfully proud of it.:cheers:
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Alan White Guest

There, so there can be great - or at least very good - MM caches . Certainly Dave Gerrie's at M25 J8 (the ammo box, not the micro) is an example of a very good MM cache.

Amberel's Thames Path - Motorway Mayhem, M25 J13 is also good though I wouldn't really regard it as a MM cache.

I think the series contributes to the perception. If a cache is MM then almost by definition people expect it to be a "bad" cache. As Dave says, there shouldn't be a quality difference just because one cache has Motorway Mayhem in the title and another, which also happens to be near a motorway exit, doesn't.

I prefer MM caches not to be at service areas. If it's a local cache then getting to the service area can often be tricky and/or expensive. Service areas are also busy places with lots of CCTV and rubbish. Junctions, however, often have quiet spots very close by and fewer muggles.

Remember, there's no rule that prohibits more than one MM cache at a motorway exit. If the one already there disappoints, place another .

In which case i own a motorway mayhem cache. :socool:

It is of course the best in the country and im rightfully proud of it.:cheers:
    Of course!

But I think to make it 'qualify officially' as a MM cache it has to have Motorway Mayhem in the title and also a link to the MM 'background image' URL. Then you need to send the link to the geocacher who set up the original idea.

And, no, I can't remember who that is now! In fact, I don't think I've given them the link for our second MM cache which we set about 3 months back.

<MrsB puts a note on her "To Do" list>
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 24th November 2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: to turn a g into a d :)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan White View Post

Amberel's Thames Path - Motorway Mayhem, M25 J13 is also good though I wouldn't really regard it as a MM cache.
    Looks like a poor one, really, from the POV of MM caches. I wouldn't want to use it for a break from a long drive, particularly wearing city clothes. It does look good as a stand-alone, however.

Motorway Mayhem M3 J4A
    is recommended: only a few paces from a good parking spot on the edge of some nice quite woodland.

Alan White Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Looks like a poor one, really, from the POV of MM caches.
    And a good example of how the name of a cache can change perception, in this case in the opposite direction from usual .

Motorway Mayhem M3 J4A is recommended: only a few paces from a good parking spot on the edge of some nice quite woodland.
    Yes, a very good MM cache for those requiring a "real" MM cache. It's also now right on the route of a circular walk of 22 caches so the walk/break can extend as far and for as long as you like.

Just like off yer trolley, supermarket sweep, indy industrial, sidetracked, a road anarchy caches i just automatically ignore them all.

I may miss the odd gem this way but those titles automatically engender the rubbish cache response to me.

As in all caches its the level of thought that matters and until i can filter for "it took me 5 days of planning to create the container and 5 visits to the area to find the perfect spot" in a PQ ill continue to ignore them.

I may miss the odd gem this way but those titles automatically engender the rubbish cache response to me.
    "Cache rating" seems to be flavour of the month at the moment.
    :lol:
    They're rubbish in your view, but of course that's because you assume that they won't suit your requirements. They may be ideal for someone who caches in a different style.

"Cache rating" seems to be flavour of the month at the moment.
    :lol:
    They're rubbish in your view, but of course that's because you assume that they won't suit your requirements. They may be ideal for someone who caches in a different style.
    Hi andy

Hence the until i can filter my preferences.

I quite like your idea of being able to say why you have planted a cache.

In fact i am just finishing a list for my caches like the following.

Now if i could have some boxes to tick it would make this easier for me and seekers of my caches.

I know some people avoid certain types of cache but the most common reason for avoiding one of our longer multi's is that it does not boost the find count enough.

Viroconium II
    Distance – 0.2 mile tops less if you drive
    Difficulty of hide – easy but a bit hard to get at.
    Reason.
    One of the first caches we did was here and despite a good hiding spot it got muggled. To avoid this fate again we found a new spot a distance away (we get criticised in the logs about the final spot but it’s a good compromise) the start just gives you a great view of an old roman town so great location and views and a nice easy multi to find.

In fact Motorway Mayhem, Sidetracked etc. and some of the "series" caches are an attempt by cache owners to place caches under categories in the way that I hope Groundspeak will do. So if you don't like a category you can ignore all those caches in one go, or if you're looking for a certain type of cache you can use the category to filter.

In fact Motorway Mayhem, Sidetracked etc. and some of the "series" caches are an attempt by cache owners to place caches under categories in the way that I hope Groundspeak will do. So if you don't like a category you can ignore all those caches in one go, or if you're looking for a certain type of cache you can use the category to filter.
    Exactly just like waymarking categories. The fact its says Mayhem helps me filter them out.

I think attributes was GSP way to solve this but its not worked

Just like off yer trolley, supermarket sweep, indy industrial, sidetracked, a road anarchy caches i just automatically ignore them all.

I may miss the odd gem this way but those titles automatically engender the rubbish cache response to me...
    "off yer trolley" - I think we've done one only. It didn't inspire me to any more, although I'm sure we'd sign the log if we happened to be parked next to one on legitimate trolley business.
    "supermarket sweep" - Not done one. I don't think there are any near here.
    "indy industrial" - Never heard of them! Are you sure you didn't just make that up?
    "sidetracked" - We've done a few of them. The only one that sticks in my mind was next to a steam railway :socool:

Come on! Somebody tell me that there's another very good MM cache somewhere?

Looks like a poor one, really, from the POV of MM caches. I wouldn't want to use it for a break from a long drive, particularly wearing city clothes. It does look good as a stand-alone, however.
    You're absolutely right about it being a very poor MM cache, it's actually a Thames Path cache that starts on one side of the M25 and finishes on the other, and the MM tag is quite wrong. It shouldn't be too much trouble doing it in decent clothes, but it's not a good MM because it's a multi, and there's no parking very close (unless you stopped on the M25 hard shoulder oops, that should be .

I'll let you into a little secret about why it was called that. As you walk under the two massive bridges that carry the M25 and the slip roads over the Thames, one of the bridges has a doorway in it. The door itself has been missing for years. There is a vertical steel ladder inside, and you can wander about right inside the superstructure of the bridge, under the carriageway. It's pitch dark in there. My original thought was to hide the cache inside, but after reflection I decided that, fun as it might be, it was NOT a good idea, so I moved it further down the river.

I think I'll change the name to just Thames Path - M25 - you can change the name, can't you, or is that likely to screw things up for anyone?

Motorway Mayhem M3 J4A
    is recommended: only a few paces from a good parking spot on the edge of some nice quite woodland.
    Yes, that was a good one - probably pushing it to say "great", but definitely good. I did it a couple of weeks ago, together with a few others in the area. Then when I got home I found the 22 Alan mentioned had been published while I was out hmy:. Oh, well, they'll still be there another day .

Rgds, Andy

Thanks for understanding that I didn't mean to insult the cache per se, just that it doesn't make a great MM cache because it's too long-winded for a series that's just about quick breaks from the motorway.
    Quote Originally Posted by amberel View Post
    My original thought was to hide the cache inside, but after reflection I decided that, fun as it might be, it was NOT a good idea, so I moved it further down the river.
    Perhaps you should reconsider, and place a new one there: it sounds an ace hiding place!

Perhaps you should reconsider, and place a new one there: it sounds an ace hiding place!
    I didn't do it because of the possible consequences of a workman finding the cache. It has the potential to be quite detrimental to the game.

Rgds, Andy

Liane's Knight Time cache on the M61 is a good 'un, as is Killington Lake at the top end of the M6

Lydford Locators Guest

We realised the bad press that MM caches were getting, so when we placed a cache at M4 Leigh Delamere Services in Wiltshire we deliberately didn't call it a Motorway Mayhem cache - but it certainly fullfills all the expected criteria.

So I'd like to vote for our Leigh Delamere Quarry GC14Z0E - no micro hidden in a carpark for us, surprisingly for a motorway service area - it's an earthcache! :socool:
    Last edited by Lydford Locators; 25th November 2008 at 07:07 AM.

I didn't do it because of the possible consequences of a workman finding the cache. It has the potential to be quite detrimental to the game.

Rgds, Andy
    So there is nothing you could count inside ? or "whispers" paint a numer on ? no plaque with a weight limit or similar it ? then becomes a treasure hunt clue rather than a hidden box.....

So there is nothing you could count inside ? or "whispers" paint a numer on ? no plaque with a weight limit or similar it ? then becomes a treasure hunt clue rather than a hidden box.....
    Yes, there are, but at the point I decided it would be a bad idea after all, I mentally switched off and went elsewhere. Before making my decision to abandon the idea I also considered it would ruin the whole cache if they decided to rehang the door, and this would apply equally to a virtual multi-stage.

Rgds, Andy

Yes, there are, but at the point I decided it would be a bad idea after all, I mentally switched off and went elsewhere. Before making my decision to abandon the idea I also considered it would ruin the whole cache if they decided to rehang the door, and this would apply equally to a virtual multi-stage.

Rgds, Andy

Ah worth a go, ive got a few ideas floating arround, you should see my unused pile of multi cache stages ..... some of which dont float at all h34r:

some really really evil ones in there, some would make superb motorway mayhem caches if it were not for thet fact htat searching one section of barrier for hours may get the interest of the authorities.

Talking

As in all caches its the level of thought that matters and until i can filter for "it took me 5 days of planning to create the container and 5 visits to the area to find the perfect spot" in a PQ ill continue to ignore them.
    I succumbed to SideTracked and placed 3 at the different stations I used for my commute into London since maintenance was not an issue. However it was after 8 months of commuting and in support of an event. Well they are my excuses and I'm sticking to them! :lol:

That said, some have commented that they lack the attributes of SideTracked caches...perhaps deep down I could not bring myself to do it They are not being sought much so perhaps they are falling between the two stools of "too difficult to be SideTracked" and "too naff for me", unless there is a third category of "I'm not logging a DNF on a SideTracked because ...":lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post

That said, some have commented that they lack the attributes of SideTracked caches...perhaps deep down I could not bring myself to do it They are not being sought much so perhaps they are falling between the two stools of "too difficult to be SideTracked" and "too naff for me", unless there is a third category of "I'm not logging a DNF on a SideTracked because ...":lol:
    you mean they can't be done in suit and smart shoes?!

Having said thats probably the main characteristic of an ST, may fav one is Bashful's one at Ashtead Station, which is 20+ feet up a tree! Wouldn't want to do that in my Armani

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gerrie View Post
    you mean they can't be done in suit and smart shoes?!

Having said thats probably the main characteristic of an ST, may fav one is Bashful's one at Ashtead Station, which is 20+ feet up a tree! Wouldn't want to do that in my Armani
    :lol: Yes, the fact that I placed one of them whilst wearing my suit and slippery leather-soled shoes doesn't necessarily mean that people will want to retrieve it when so attired! At least I'm not alone in broadening the scope of ST :coffee: