Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: European Terracaching Championship

limonium Guest

Default European Terracaching Championship

Hello to all British Terracachers and Terracachers to-be!

In 2009, the 1st international Terracaching contest outside the USA will take place: the

EUROPEAN TERRACACHING CHAMPIONSHIP

Any Terracacher and any Geocacher interested in Terracaching is invited to join. Especially for Terracaching newbies, the chances to get on one of the top ranks on the championship leaderboard are exceptionally good.

In 2008, we had a similar national contest in Germany which was a great success and fun for all Terracachers who took part in it. The rules in the European Championship will be a bit different: you will not only have to collect as many TPS points as possible... But just have a look into the contest's listing. If anything remains unclear, feel free to ask.

Taking part in the ETCC is completely free.

The rules can be found following this link: https://www.terracaching.com/viewcache.cgi?C=TCCTP

The German and Dutch Terracachers are already waiting for the start date - now it is up to the British community to join, too!

Looking forward to many British competitors,

limonium

Icenians Guest

I'm going to have to get all strategic in my caching now

Anyone up for finding a TC on New Years Day?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Icenians View Post
    I'm going to have to get all strategic in my caching now

Anyone up for finding a TC on New Years Day?
    Yes, there was I planning to storm the leaderboard and now I have to wait until January to avoid shooting myself in the foot by gaining too much TPS now to wreck my chances in the competition!

On New Years Day there is also a World Wide TerraCaching event:

https://www.terracaching.com/viewcache.cgi?C=TCCJ9

In conjunction with this, anyone who places a TerraCache and gets it approved between 1st January and 7th January and puts a note referencing it on this event page, will be entered into a draw to receive a year's free premium membership on TerraCaching. :cheers: That's my good deed for 2009 sorted :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    Yes, there was I planning to storm the leaderboard and now I have to wait until January to avoid shooting myself in the foot by gaining too much TPS now to wreck my chances in the competition!
    That's one thing that puts me off scoring - that the scoring system might affect what caching I do, and I'm keen to avoid that. I want to go caching because I enjoy it, not to rack up some more points.

It's not quite the same thing, I know, but I'll probably be doing your Iron Age fort tomorrow - if I was interested in the competition it would make sense to leave it (and all other TCs) for 5 or 6 weeks.

Rgds, Andy

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amberel View Post
    That's one thing that puts me off scoring - that the scoring system might affect what caching I do, and I'm keen to avoid that. I want to go caching because I enjoy it, not to rack up some more points.

It's not quite the same thing, I know, but I'll probably be doing your Iron Age fort tomorrow - if I was interested in the competition it would make sense to leave it (and all other TCs) for 5 or 6 weeks.

Rgds, Andy
    That's fair enough Andy. No reason to take part if it's not your thing. Given that TC is about points though, it's an idea that fits well. I'm still going to look for caches, including the very one you're going for but not until Monday. I will probably hold back on setting some caches before New Year though.

Kev

I've been slowly warming to the idea of placing a cache or two on terra and navi, whilst at the same time avoiding cross-posting with my own site for a number of reasons. This seems like an ideal opportunity to dip my toe in the water, goodness knows my part of the country could do with a few.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Wink

Rgds, Andy
    I'll come clean and admit my tongue was firmly in cheek about storming the leaderboard. At the moment it is wishful thinking as I have more urgent priorities, however, camping in the West Country over Easter 2009 is looking like a very attractive proposition.

Good luck with your Iron Age expedition, please feel free to phone if you get stuck. As it's a new cache, it's only going to get you 1 point anyway at the moment (and FTF kudos considering that Heffalump007 has it on his doorstep) so won't make a significant difference if you wanted to take part in the 2009 competition. I'll get the Winding Hole cache checked out after Kev's unfortunate discovery at GZ and replace if it is gone as seems probable. Typical that BW should cut back the vegetation after many years of neglect within just a few months of my cache being there!

Regards, Roderick

limonium Guest

I did not expect this, but the 1st competitor in the ETCC has already registered today, on New Year's Day...

Quote Originally Posted by limonium View Post
    I did not expect this, but the 1st competitor in the ETCC has already registered today, on New Year's Day...
    I'll not be joining in myself, but will be keeping an eye on how well Kev and Roderick are doing . Good luck, chaps .

Rgds, Andy

Icenians Guest

I'll not be joining in myself, but will be keeping an eye on how well Kev and Roderick are doing . Good luck, chaps .

Rgds, Andy
    Thanks Andy.

Of course for me to join in two things need to happen

a. I need to place a new cache (Easily sorted)
    b. someone needs to find it. Given that none of mine from last year have been found yet I guess I'll just have to have some patience

Kev

limonium Guest

Hi Kev,

the guys that have already registered seem to follow the same strategy:

- place an attractive, not too difficult TC not too far away from a cluster of other Terracachers to get into the game quickly,

- have a strategical alliance with other competitors-to-be (mutual early logging)

- plan to hide the ultimative, fantastic, thrilling, gorgeous Terracache, to be placed in late spring, when nature is lovely, weather is good and MCE ratings tend to be slighthly better than in the dark and muddy time of the year...

Just to let you know what they're talking about on the continent...

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by limonium View Post
    Hi Kev,

the guys that have already registered seem to follow the same strategy:

- place an attractive, not too difficult TC not too far away from a cluster of other Terracachers to get into the game quickly,

- have a strategical alliance with other competitors-to-be (mutual early logging)

- plan to hide the ultimative, fantastic, thrilling, gorgeous Terracache, to be placed in late spring, when nature is lovely, weather is good and MCE ratings tend to be slighthly better than in the dark and muddy time of the year...

Just to let you know what they're talking about on the continent...
    That's sort of my pln as well except I have to drive some distance to place a cache amoungst other active TCer's and the damn car broke down

I'll get started soon

Kev

fraggle69 Guest

Maybe when my reviwer wakes up I'll be joining in on this one. hmm, I wonder if we'll be seeing more of sandvika in my neck of the woods lol

Well, if Kev had found my "Lets go Caching" Terracache today I'd be in the championship now but it was gone when he got there and the takers have not yet logged it so I'll have to place another in another effort to get into the championship

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fraggle69 View Post
    Maybe when my reviwer wakes up I'll be joining in on this one. hmm, I wonder if we'll be seeing more of sandvika in my neck of the woods lol
    I have a reviewer like that as well

RuberyBlue Guest

Hi All,

Any of you guys fancy sponsoring me. Thought i'd give it a go!!

Paul
    KRO!

Quote Originally Posted by RuberyBlue View Post
    Hi All,

Paul
    KRO!
    Sure! Just register and I'll offer you sponsorship as soon as I see you there

Cheers, Roderick

Icenians Guest

Hi All,

Paul
    KRO!
    Sure.

Sponsorship is no real ordeal despite what others would lead you to believe. Simply sign up and the system starts looking for sponsors for you. It flags you up on local TC cachers first and then over time it widens the circle until you accept 2 offers.

You get to choose from those that offer. It depends on your location on who offers first but most people seem to get offers within a few hours, sometimes minutes.

Kev

Hi All,

Paul
    KRO!
    I'd happily sponsor you, but TC seems to be down at the moment.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    I'd happily sponsor you, but TC seems to be down at the moment.
    working fine for me

working fine for me
    Yep, it's up n running again for me. RuberyBlue, I've made you an offer.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

fraggle69 Guest

Pleeeassse someone pick me up off the floor I can't stop laughing. Mr Strategic has hidden a TC minutes from my house. He clearly didn't count on the fact that we're all gonna hold off finding it till say December lol.

I actually have a much better plan, more cunning than a cunning man fox.
    Nice one mate! you knows who you are!

Icenians Guest

Ah, but have you seen the REALLY embarrassing bit he did next?

Oh the shame of it.

I bet Sandvika gets there in November

Kev

fraggle69 Guest

so like er, is anyone holding off logging virtuals and locationless caches?? I am getting it on with a dalek soon

Icenians Guest

so like er, is anyone holding off logging virtuals and locationless caches?? I am getting it on with a dalek soon
    Got it on with a darlek, in a pub :cheers:, with another Terracacher not long ago

Now just need the photos

How dodgy does that lot sound :

that sailed over my head for a while, then I identified Mr. Strategic.

Mr. Strategic.

Icenians Guest

Pleeeassse someone pick me up off the floor I can't stop laughing. Mr Strategic has hidden a TC minutes from my house. He clearly didn't count on the fact that we're all gonna hold off finding it till say December lol.

I actually have a much better plan, more cunning than a cunning man fox.
    Nice one mate! you knows who you are!
    Take as long as you like. I'm off and running now. Catch me if you can

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    that sailed over my head for a while, then I identified Mr. Strategic.

Mr. Strategic.
    Hey. I would never wear that colour smock!!

The neckchief and hat would work well with the morris dancing though

fraggle69 Guest

Take as long as you like. I'm off and running now. Catch me if you can
    lol that's strategy mate, getting two up in cache busy areas. I like the way you're thinking.

fraggle69 Guest

Hey. I would never wear that colour smock!!

The neckchief and hat would work well with the morris dancing though
    Is that a bag of smack?

Is that a bag of smack?
    It might be. He always seemed a bit of a spaced out character on TV and that might explain it

Fraser, I'm off to the races now too, which means with you not yet in the competition it's in my interests to find Kev's cache rather than yours :lol:

limonium Guest

Default Great: live ETCC ranking list!

For all competitors, cheerleaders and fans of the European Terracaching Champonship 2009, Team Bavaria has coded a gorgeous tool: a live ETCC ranking list which is updated on a daily base. No idea how he did that, but this (inofficial) tool is really helpful for all those who want to keep track of their position in the race.

To see how the ETCC points are generated, refer to the event cache listing linked above.

Thank you very much, TB!

(Sorry for cross posting this, but as there might be more competitors-to-be here who do not have access to the Terracaching forums, I decided to post these fine news here, too.)
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 1st March 2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Approved links

limonium Guest

sp_do has just made me aware of that you have to register on the terracaching.eu forum to be able to follow the link mentioned above. (Which is worth doing, anyway.)