Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: European Terracaching Championship

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    limonium Guest

Default European Terracaching Championship

Hello to all British Terracachers and Terracachers to-be!

In 2009, the 1st international Terracaching contest outside the USA will take place: the

EUROPEAN TERRACACHING CHAMPIONSHIP

Any Terracacher and any Geocacher interested in Terracaching is invited to join. Especially for Terracaching newbies, the chances to get on one of the top ranks on the championship leaderboard are exceptionally good.

In 2008, we had a similar national contest in Germany which was a great success and fun for all Terracachers who took part in it. The rules in the European Championship will be a bit different: you will not only have to collect as many TPS points as possible... But just have a look into the contest's listing. If anything remains unclear, feel free to ask.

Taking part in the ETCC is completely free.

The rules can be found following this link: https://www.terracaching.com/viewcache.cgi?C=TCCTP

The German and Dutch Terracachers are already waiting for the start date - now it is up to the British community to join, too!

Looking forward to many British competitors,

limonium

Icenians Guest

I'm going to have to get all strategic in my caching now

Anyone up for finding a TC on New Years Day?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Icenians View Post
    I'm going to have to get all strategic in my caching now

Anyone up for finding a TC on New Years Day?
    Yes, there was I planning to storm the leaderboard and now I have to wait until January to avoid shooting myself in the foot by gaining too much TPS now to wreck my chances in the competition!

On New Years Day there is also a World Wide TerraCaching event:

https://www.terracaching.com/viewcache.cgi?C=TCCJ9

In conjunction with this, anyone who places a TerraCache and gets it approved between 1st January and 7th January and puts a note referencing it on this event page, will be entered into a draw to receive a year's free premium membership on TerraCaching. :cheers: That's my good deed for 2009 sorted :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    Yes, there was I planning to storm the leaderboard and now I have to wait until January to avoid shooting myself in the foot by gaining too much TPS now to wreck my chances in the competition!
    That's one thing that puts me off scoring - that the scoring system might affect what caching I do, and I'm keen to avoid that. I want to go caching because I enjoy it, not to rack up some more points.

It's not quite the same thing, I know, but I'll probably be doing your Iron Age fort tomorrow - if I was interested in the competition it would make sense to leave it (and all other TCs) for 5 or 6 weeks.

Rgds, Andy

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amberel View Post
    That's one thing that puts me off scoring - that the scoring system might affect what caching I do, and I'm keen to avoid that. I want to go caching because I enjoy it, not to rack up some more points.

It's not quite the same thing, I know, but I'll probably be doing your Iron Age fort tomorrow - if I was interested in the competition it would make sense to leave it (and all other TCs) for 5 or 6 weeks.

Rgds, Andy
    That's fair enough Andy. No reason to take part if it's not your thing. Given that TC is about points though, it's an idea that fits well. I'm still going to look for caches, including the very one you're going for but not until Monday. I will probably hold back on setting some caches before New Year though.

Kev

I've been slowly warming to the idea of placing a cache or two on terra and navi, whilst at the same time avoiding cross-posting with my own site for a number of reasons. This seems like an ideal opportunity to dip my toe in the water, goodness knows my part of the country could do with a few.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by amberel View Post

Rgds, Andy
    I'll come clean and admit my tongue was firmly in cheek about storming the leaderboard. At the moment it is wishful thinking as I have more urgent priorities, however, camping in the West Country over Easter 2009 is looking like a very attractive proposition.

Good luck with your Iron Age expedition, please feel free to phone if you get stuck. As it's a new cache, it's only going to get you 1 point anyway at the moment (and FTF kudos considering that Heffalump007 has it on his doorstep) so won't make a significant difference if you wanted to take part in the 2009 competition. I'll get the Winding Hole cache checked out after Kev's unfortunate discovery at GZ and replace if it is gone as seems probable. Typical that BW should cut back the vegetation after many years of neglect within just a few months of my cache being there!

Regards, Roderick

limonium Guest

I did not expect this, but the 1st competitor in the ETCC has already registered today, on New Year's Day...

limonium Guest

Default Great: live ETCC ranking list!

For all competitors, cheerleaders and fans of the European Terracaching Champonship 2009, Team Bavaria has coded a gorgeous tool: a live ETCC ranking list which is updated on a daily base. No idea how he did that, but this (inofficial) tool is really helpful for all those who want to keep track of their position in the race.

To see how the ETCC points are generated, refer to the event cache listing linked above.

Thank you very much, TB!

(Sorry for cross posting this, but as there might be more competitors-to-be here who do not have access to the Terracaching forums, I decided to post these fine news here, too.)
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 1st March 2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Approved links

limonium Guest

sp_do has just made me aware of that you have to register on the terracaching.eu forum to be able to follow the link mentioned above. (Which is worth doing, anyway.)