Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The other listing sites

There is more than one listing site

Terracaching
    Opencaching
    Navicache
    Geocaching

others ?

there are some others and private lists out there (honest) who has contact and is a regular looker/ user on these and how do we go about getting them to recognise the GAGB.

Ill partially answer for terracaching, we could edit their wiki ? ensure as many UK cachers are sponsored by gagb members as possible to ensure a more robust review process that an USA based reviewer
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    There is more than one listing site
    Ill partially answer for terracaching, we could edit their wiki ? ensure as many UK cachers are sponsored by gagb members as possible to ensure a more robust review process that an USA based reviewer
    I guess that now is a good time to get GAGB members to sponsor UK cachers, although the choice comes down to the cacher in the end, given that there are so few of us at the moment.

It would seem to be the best approach with a site of the structure TC uses.

From a navicache point of view, there is centralised cache review so it should be possible to make them aware of the landowner agreements, although they may have trouble figuring out which one's apply depending on the mapping they use.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Icenians View Post
    I guess that now is a good time to get GAGB members to sponsor UK cachers, although the choice comes down to the cacher in the end, given that there are so few of us at the moment.

It would seem to be the best approach with a site of the structure TC uses.

From a navicache point of view, there is centralised cache review so it should be possible to make them aware of the landowner agreements, although they may have trouble figuring out which one's apply depending on the mapping they use.
    Actually, I would look at it the other way round. The cache placer should have done all the due dilligence so that the review process is merely a formality. GAGB can take the lead in this by actively promoting the guidelines as best practice and publicising related resources (like maps of SSSIs that need two levels of permission). It could also encourage a structured approach to review, so cachers also review their own caches before they submit them.

This could provide a country-specific approach for TC and make the peer review process directly relevant (even international sponsors could follow GAGB practice on TCs in UK), it could help mitigate any perceived or actual weaknesses in the review processes on NC and OC and with input from the GSP-appointed reviewers could help de-mystify the review process for those who persistently place a greater burden on the GSP reviewers! (I know I've not always been a model pupil for starters :lol

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    Actually, I would look at it the other way round. The cache placer should have done all the due dilligence so that the review process is merely a formality. GAGB can take the lead in this by actively promoting the guidelines as best practice and publicising related resources (like maps of SSSIs that need two levels of permission). It could also encourage a structured approach to review, so cachers also review their own caches before they submit them.

This could provide a country-specific approach for TC and make the peer review process directly relevant (even international sponsors could follow GAGB practice on TCs in UK), it could help mitigate any perceived or actual weaknesses in the review processes on NC and OC and with input from the GSP-appointed reviewers could help de-mystify the review process for those who persistently place a greater burden on the GSP reviewers! (I know I've not always been a model pupil for starters :lol
    Not sure I understand what you're getting at here. :

Quote Originally Posted by Icenians View Post
    Not sure I understand what you're getting at here. :
    Well, take it from the perspective of a naive new cacher who does not consider the ramifications of placing a cache at location X. Deceangi has made it clear that as a GSP reviewer he's having to deal with people who have not even read the GSP guidelines so it's reasonable to deduce that they don't have any awareness of GAGB.

For example, my first cache placement was over-enthusiastic, placed in a spot where the imact of caching would have been highly detrimental to the habitat, although it passed review. It lasted less than a week before someone pointed out what was happening and I archived it hurriedly with remorse.

If my introduction to caching had lead me directly to GAGB because it's the de-facto first port of call for caching in UK then I could have got engaged faster, more effectively and avoided the blunder. I acted swiftly to rectify my mistake however not everyone can or does. I still made poor cache placement choices 9 months subsequently and the risk of doing so again has not gone completely, however, climbing the learning curve has been largely my own effort.

So, if GAGB were at the forefront of caching in the UK, collectively we could ensure that our knowledge is shared effectively, that caches placed are sympathetic and appropriate to the environment as well as the local circumstances pertinent to UK. Essentially, GAGB would provide the community and the information to help get new cachers to mastery of the craft in the shortest possible time. Mastery imples that they could review their own and other people's caches effectively.

I don't think the GSP reviewers would complain if the proportion of caches that come across their desks and are ready for publication first time round improves I suspect their workload is a classic application of the 80-20 rule, that 20% of cache placements require 80% of the effort, so pushing that in the direction of 90-10 and ultimately 100-0 can only be a good thing. However, the benefit of achieving this through the GAGB is that it would apply across all the listing sites.

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    Well, take it from the perspective of a naive new cacher who does not consider the ramifications of placing a cache at location X. Deceangi has made it clear that as a GSP reviewer he's having to deal with people who have not even read the GSP guidelines so it's reasonable to deduce that they don't have any awareness of GAGB.

For example, my first cache placement was over-enthusiastic, placed in a spot where the imact of caching would have been highly detrimental to the habitat, although it passed review. It lasted less than a week before someone pointed out what was happening and I archived it hurriedly with remorse.

If my introduction to caching had lead me directly to GAGB because it's the de-facto first port of call for caching in UK then I could have got engaged faster, more effectively and avoided the blunder. I acted swiftly to rectify my mistake however not everyone can or does. I still made poor cache placement choices 9 months subsequently and the risk of doing so again has not gone completely, however, climbing the learning curve has been largely my own effort.

So, if GAGB were at the forefront of caching in the UK, collectively we could ensure that our knowledge is shared effectively, that caches placed are sympathetic and appropriate to the environment as well as the local circumstances pertinent to UK. Essentially, GAGB would provide the community and the information to help get new cachers to mastery of the craft in the shortest possible time. Mastery imples that they could review their own and other people's caches effectively.

I don't think the GSP reviewers would complain if the proportion of caches that come across their desks and are ready for publication first time round improves I suspect their workload is a classic application of the 80-20 rule, that 20% of cache placements require 80% of the effort, so pushing that in the direction of 90-10 and ultimately 100-0 can only be a good thing. However, the benefit of achieving this through the GAGB is that it would apply across all the listing sites.
    Ah right. I see the aim. I'm just not sure what you meant re getting it across within TC. Do you mean by education and publicity within TC? or some other approach?