Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Advice Sought

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Paul G0TLG Guest

Morning all...

Just treated myself to a new gadget, a Compaq iPaq 3850 PDA running Pocket PC. I'm now looking for some good navigation software to go with it.

I've downloaded the free trial of Pocket Streetmaps, which I'm trying at the moment...anyone got any other suggestions for what to try / avoid?

Cheers all

Paul

NattyBooshka Guest

Tom Tom impressed me last week. Slightly patronizing voice directions... but only when moving fast so that "in 300 yards, trun right" is immediatly followed by"turn right" but I overall I was VERY impressed with it. Will have to make the investment in an iPaq soon!

With Tom Tom you will find that the faster you go the greater the distance for the first instruction at 70mph it is around 1000 yards from the exit.. As for patronising.. I don't thinkso.. Nothing patronising about " Go around the roundabout then take third exit."

Don't forget though that you wil need a GPS coneccted to com one or a navman sleeve for tom tom to work.

Memeory map is excelent but expensive using 50,000 OS maps. There are other vendors comming on the market at half the price for what is in essance the same package.
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

We use TomTom and find it brilliant !

We refer to it as the "Silicon Tart" (it's a woman's voice).

Only let us down a couple of times when she has not known about a particular road etc.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

I endorse what Moss has written.
    Having used Memory Map for a little time, it is great for planning a route on the PC and transferring it to the GPSr (and vice versa with a track) and also transferring the map to the Pocket PC. If you then couple the PocketPC to the GPSr you can have a moving map and see your track on it. I believe too that you can scan your own maps into Memory Map software.
    Only snag is the cost though as Moss says there are competitive products which seem to do similar things but which I have not tried. I found MM gave excellent service when I had a problem with one CD, replacing it promptly without hesitation.
    Enjoy your caching!

We use Navman on a Ipaq 3970 find it very good it is a bit slow when calculating reroutes at time ,but other wise very impressed

For caching we use Memory Map is very very good and accurate and finds most caches spot on and with the 1:50000 map it is a added advantage having a map on your handheld pc

Geocachers do it by Degrees

Icenians Guest

I use Tom Tom for road navigation and Memory map for hill walking (well planning them and logging the trip). They are both great but it depends on what you want from a navigation system.

Tom Tom will route plan for you and is very good at it.

Memory map is fantastic for overlaying all the caches, cache details etc. But it won&#39;t plan a route.

What I&#39;m trying to say is they are both first class tools but for different jobs.

Paul G0TLG Guest

Originally posted by Icenians@Sep 24 2003, 12:48 PM
    What I&#39;m trying to say is they are both first class tools but for different jobs.
    Icenians makes a good point-in truth I&#39;m waiting for everyone&#39;s comments on what their software does well before making a decision: Howver, chancesare I&#39;ll settle for something that does everything moderately well, rather than something which does one thing brilliantly. However, my decision will be guided by the fact that I already have Anquet Maps for desktop route planning&#33;

Thanks for the tips...keep &#39;em coming&#33;

Paul

NattyBooshka Guest

Personally, getting there in the car is the annoying bit for me, especially near the hills here where ther are quite a few parallel roads which are not linked. Following the GPS here will quite often mean you get on the wrong road and have to drive a considerable distance to get back to the right one. For this reason, TomTom would be top of my purchase list.

Memory Map is very good at on foot navigation, but here I&#39;m more than happy to rely on GPS only. Here I can fall back on experience and intuition to find the route to the cache. I don&#39;t carry maps with marked footpaths, but this has only caused a problem once resulting in a DNF. I see this as more of a challenge, even to the extent that we have yet to carry clues at all in the lake district, and we only got one not-found there.

So, for my purposes, I see TomTom as a time & fuel saving piece of software. I see memory-map as a very nice tool, and an alternative to paper maps, which I don&#39;t usually carry anyway. I do, of course, have a Silva compass and always know my bearing back to the car, or other safe area, when going up on the moors.

I don&#39;t own a PDA but though I&#39;d add my 2p&#39;s worth anyway. I have MemoryMap Navigator on both my desk top and lap top PCs and use them both in the planning stages of a caching expedition. Being able to print off an A4 sized section of OS map (and/or aerial photgraph) that shows the cache location is much easier to handle than some of the double sided Explorer maps. With cache details now available on my mobile phone (except when I have no signal <_< ) I no longer need to print out cache sheets.
    For route planning, I use MapSource MetroGuide and my Legend. With this held in a mobile phone holder on the car dashboard, I can see the little &#39;bendy arrow&#39; well enough. OK... it doesn&#39;t talk to me but I can live without that. I kinda think it&#39;s fun having no idea of were, exactly you are, just blindly following the Legends instruction to turn at the next junction. It&#39;s never let me down and I&#39;ve always reached my destination, eventually.
    Having said all that... I dare say that I&#39;ll upgrade to a hand held computer thingy at some point in the not too distant future
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Daisy&amp;me Guest

I use Fugawi UK in the same way as Pharisee. It also includes 1:50000 OS maps and may be cheaper than Memory map. UK is sliced into 4 overlapping parts at about £50 each. So, for example the whole of the south of England is £50.