Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Extreme Events = Extreme Fun! Keep June 2009 free for Scottish hi-jinks

Simply Paul Guest

Exclamation Extreme Events = Extreme Fun! Keep June 2009 free for Scottish hi-jinks

I've had not one but two extreme events for next summer (2009) approved. Thanks Alba15

GC1EQ1C Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event (Ben Nevis) - https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...a-59cf23b9de58
    Tuesday June 16th

GC19G7E Britain's Third Most Remote Event Cache (Unst) - https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...f-746b3663136a
    Saturday June 20th

A chance to find the UK's highest event and most northerly; I hope you can join me on another brave, wild adventure into the unknown

Malpas Wanderer Guest

When this was announced I wondered if it was the same date as the Environment Agency's Wateraid 100 peaks Challenge but having checked, no that is earlier.

"The aim of the Challenge is to have a team of walkers at the top of each of the 100 peaks between midday and 2pm on Saturday 6 June 2009. This has never been achieved and we hope that you can help us rise to the Challenge!"

http://www.wateraidtrail100.org

Best of luck to both events but perhaps a bit too challenging for me.:
    Last edited by Malpas Wanderer; 23rd December 2008 at 08:22 AM.

Got the B&B booked and paid for, now in serious training for the stroll up and down - making sure not to descend into 5 Finger Gully.

Going from Lancashire if anyone wishes to share a car :wub:

I hope you have good weather on the day, views from the top are fantastic! Mind that gully, it's bum biter
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Thinking of changing my avatar from the beautiful and elegent Mosquito to one of Rescue 122, or at a push Rescue 137.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendolyn View Post
    Thinking of changing my avatar from the beautiful and elegent Mosquito to one of Rescue 122, or at a push Rescue 137.

LOL :lol:

Things not to say while on top of Ben Nevis.

1, Is this the edge?

2, I think my compass is broken, it only points in one direction.

3, I'm sure we've been here before (&) we have, I recognize that rock!

4, Can anyone hear a helicopter?

5, Thanks for the lift, Sir. How long before we land?

Presents a great opportunity to bag some hills that I have not done for several years, for example the Five Sisters of Kintail spring to mind and a few more in the Nevis range. Will plan and see what comes up as the event is a long way off yet.

I remember when Ben McDuie was considered the highest hill in the UK - tells you how ancient I am ????????:wub:

On 15 Sep 1810 Dr George Keith took a barometer to the summit of Ben Macdui. His readings concluded that Ben Nevis was some 35 meters (modern conversion) higher than Ben Macdui.

Mind you I still think that McDui is a far superior hill than Ben Nevis with some very interesting walks onto its plateau.

With the change of date I am unable to attend this event owing to work committments. Apologies.

Simply Paul Guest

Sorry Gwendolyn. I was pretty cheesed off to have to change the dates, but saw no other way to be able to attend my own events. It's a shame you can't make it.

Just to remind folks, the new dates are Thursday June 25th for the Shetland meet, and Tuesday June 30th for the Nevis one. So, with less than three months to go, I thought I'd share my plans in case they might tempt peeps along for some car share:

I'll be leaving Bucks on Friday June 19th or Saturday 20th, arriving in the NE of Scotland on Sunday for the ferry to Orkney. From there, caching across the islands, and up to Shetland on Tuesday/Wednesday. Unst for the event on the 25th, obviously, and leaving on Saturday or Sunday on the overnight crossing to Aberdeen. Then down to Ben Nevis for the climb on the 30th. Back down south over the next couple of days.

Simply Paul Guest

Exclamation

I've had not one but two FURTHER extreme events for the summer approved. Thanks Deceangi.

GC1PRQV Scafell Pike Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event -
    https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...b-7f67c3f586bf
    3am(!) Wednesday July 1st

GC1PRQ0 Snowdon Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event -
    https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...e-06fad2a5033a
    2pm Wednesday July 1st

So, a chance to find the highest cache/events of England and Wales as well as Scotland's/the UK's and the most northerly, all within a few days, or in the case of the mountains, 24 hours; I hope you can join me on another brave, wild adventure into the unknown. One or more!

Simply Paul Guest

Exclamation

Wow. What a trip! Caching from Newcastle, up through Scotland in the night, over to Orkney, across to Shetland, all over the islands (hide one way up north), down to Aberdeen on the ferry, caching across Scotland (including some more hiding!), then the three peaks challenge for events at the tops of all the hills. A very busy 12 days. Slept a lot of yesterday

Huge thanks to everyone who came along and made the trip so special, the cachers I met on Shetland for their hospitality, and everyone who sponsored me for the British Heart Foundation- I've raised almost £300 with some more to come, hopefully. Visit http://www.justgiving.com/socialclimber if you'd like to join in, knowing that I did actually manage to be at the tops of Ben Nevis (2.30pm) Scafell Pike (3am) and Snowdon (2.10pm) in 21 minutes under 24 hours, on an hour's sleep. That's 3406m, 11,172ft or 2.12 miles climbed, and around 25 miles walked... What an adventure. I can't see how Jersey next summer can top this, but you never know...

Simply Paul Guest

I just saw that with less than a week to go on my Just Giving page, my target of £500 for the British Heart Foundation has been reached, thanks to the enormous generosity of cachers, friends, random folks off the Internet and most recently, the owners of the magazine I write for who brought it up to the full £500 with a very kind £148.59. Woo-hoo!

Now, I wouldn't object to going over my target at all, so if you'd like to drop something in my virtual bucket, even a couple of quid (the minimum, I think, but it's all good!) then that would be awesome. Visit http://www.justgiving.com/socialclimber > Remember, the page closes-down shortly!

Thanks once more to everyone who contributed; You made a difference to me, and should make a difference to the nation's cardiac health too.