Thanks Thanks:  12

Thread: Post Code Searches

Default Post Code Searches

The Groundspeak Post Code search is pretty useless there days so..........

If you go here http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocode you can input the postcode and get co ordinates. Once you have the co ordinates you can use the Hide and seek a cache on Geocaching.com.

Handy if you are off on a trip some place and want to search for the nearest cache etc.

Or https://www.nearby.org.uk/ and click the geocaching.com link

Nice little routine, thanks for posting it. However be sure to use the Yahoo source rather than the Google one. I've just tried a couple of postcodes I know well and while Yahoo is spot on with both, the Google one is 0.5 and 10 miles out respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    Nice little routine, thanks for posting it. However be sure to use the Yahoo source rather than the Google one. I've just tried a couple of postcodes I know well and while Yahoo is spot on with both, the Google one is 0.5 and 10 miles out respectively.
    I have to concur with Peter. The Yahoo variant, when visualised with Google Maps, put my postcode right on the house next door to me which I thought was pretty damn close. The Google version, however, put it slap bang in the middle of Luton Airport which is well over a mile, as the cod swims, from my home.
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharisee View Post
    I have to concur with Peter. The Yahoo variant, when visualised with Google Maps, put my postcode right on the house next door to me which I thought was pretty damn close. The Google version, however, put it slap bang in the middle of Luton Airport which is well over a mile, as the cod swims, from my home.

You think thats bad - Yahoo was about 100 mtrs out whereas Google put me in Texas !!hmy::wacko::
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

For mine yahoo spot on but google places us in Germany...
    A cache a day ..

uk89camaro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    The Groundspeak Post Code search is pretty useless there days so..........
    I get an error message a lot, if I'm on the "hide & seek" page, but click again and it usually works. I don't get any error message if I use the home page search. The field that defaults to zip code 98103.

Very easy to use, I like it. Ta.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk