Thanks Thanks:  8

Thread: How to influence cache placements at Terracaching

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Icenians Guest

Default How to influence cache placements at Terracaching

Hi all

We often have quoted in these forum that various attempts have been made to contact the site admin at the other listing sites. For those that are not aware, I don't cache at GC but use TC (Yes I know I logged a GC the other day but I was hunting a TC that was meant to be in it).

TC uses a different method of cache review to the review system on GC. The TC system is that everyone is a reviewer if they choose to sponsor another cacher.

So, I maintain that contacting the site owner at TC is a fruitless task, we that play on TC can't get in touch with him so I see little reason a small association based on a tiny island thousands of miles away are going to get a response!

It is pointless the GAGB attempting to treat all listing sites the same, why should they operate in the same way? Souldn't the GAGB be attempting to influence cache placement within the UK via different means appropriate to the site involved?

So, how would folk suggest that UK cachers on TC be brought under the GAGB umbrella?

Kev

The committee are making further attempts to communicate.

Though really why should we do all the running. There are several people on here who cache on that so called quality site (I have yet to see any evidence of this).

Sandvika is on the committee and a teracahcer. What more do you want? You keep telling us we are wrong but don't give us any realistic alternative!

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    The committee are making further attempts to communicate.

Though really why should we do all the running. There are several people on here who cache on that so called quality site (I have yet to see any evidence of this).

Sandvika is on the committee and a teracahcer. What more do you want? You keep telling us we are wrong but don't give us any realistic alternative!
    I'm sorry! You wish to represent UK cachers and negociate on our behalf but the cachers should leap to join you? Good luck with that approach. Unbelieveable!!

You're main answer seems to be that you will resume trying to contact the same way you failed last time.

Sandvika is on the committee because he was elected there, not because the GAGB committee wanted a terracacher!

OK, an alternative. Look at how approvals work on TC, join TC, become active, engage with the TCers, not some bloke at the top who isn't interested, and SPONSOR others. Hey presto, you're a reviewer and in a position to influence cache placement.

Of course i would need a number of people and a spread around the UK. It wouldn't get total influence but it would be better than doing nothing except sending the odd email!
    Last edited by Icenians; 17th January 2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Typo

I am sorry for having an opinion.

We don't just send the odd email. Most of us are also members of terracaching.

I no longer look for teracaches though I ma happy to both sponsor and review.

Most of what I have seen on terracaching (locally) in my personal perception are protest caches

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    I am sorry for having an opinion.

We don't just send the odd email. Most of us are also members of terracaching.

I no longer look for teracaches though I ma happy to both sponsor and review.

Most of what I have seen on terracaching (locally) in my personal perception are protest caches
    I don't have an issue with you having an opinion, just the fact that as someone elected to the comittee of an organisation that is meant to be REPRESENTING cachers to landowners feeling that they shouldn't be doing the running. If you feel that it's too much effort, don't volounteer!

I've no idea which area you are from but I can say that none of my caches are protest caches nor did I get that feeling from Devon recently. I simply like the underdog and the style of the game at TC.

But none of this advances the issue of influencing cache placement on TC in the UK.

Like I said, happy to review caches, still waiting for one to come through for review.

Long wait.

Not a very effective way of communicating after the cache has been placed though?

Kev has a good point, IMO.
    This seems to apply to every listing site apart from GC.com, which as I've said elsewhere appears to be more of a geocaching body than just a listing site.

So why try and contact a representative of the listing site? I think generally there just simply is no such person, therefore any communication is bound to be in vain. If I was setting up a new listing site, I'd make sure that I never got involved with landowner permissions or other issues and I'd make it clear that I merely set up a blank database for people to use. Apart from ensuring no illegal use of the web site, I'd have nothing to do with the data; much less the physical caches.

So the people to contact are the cache placers; and they may decide to remain anonymous, ignoring any contact from the GAGB. It's the nature of the game.