Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Connecting Mio P560 PDA To The Internet

The Boat People Guest

Default Connecting Mio P560 PDA To The Internet

Is it possible to access the internet on a Mio P560 PDA through a laptop running Vista Home Premium? If it is possible, can someone help me with step by step instructions please.
    The PDA is running Windows Mobile 6 and has Wifi, Bluetooth and a usb cable connection which I use to download and sync info from the laptop using Windows Mobile Device Centre and Sync Centre programs supplied with Vista.
    My usual means of laptop internet connection is a mobile usb dongle, hence I have no WiFi facility to connect to the PDA and any help would be much appreciated.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by The Boat People View Post
    Is it possible to access the internet on a Mio P560 PDA through a laptop running Vista Home Premium? If it is possible, can someone help me with step by step instructions please.
    The PDA is running Windows Mobile 6 and has Wifi, Bluetooth and a usb cable connection which I use to download and sync info from the laptop using Windows Mobile Device Centre and Sync Centre programs supplied with Vista.
    My usual means of laptop internet connection is a mobile usb dongle, hence I have no WiFi facility to connect to the PDA and any help would be much appreciated.
    Terry
    I have a p550 and XP, and I have a feeling that it isn't possible - I seem to remember reading somewhere that Microsoft disables internet access as soon as its plugged in. I may be wrong, but thats what I remember...

Without a Wireless router, you've got a couple of options. If you are looking to download e-mail, then that should work anyway - mine does, even with accounts that are ONLY set up on the PDA.

If you need to download programs and so on, then you'll have to download to the lappy and then transfer them to the PDA.

If you simply want to browse the internet on the PDA, I have a feelign the answer might be 'tough' unless you can find a little program somewhere that will open up the network connection to the laptop...

Any particular reason?

Dave

PS - if a neighbour has an unsecured wireless network, then some people might be tempted to use it. Of course, that would be illegal so I couldn't possibly recommend doing that.

The Boat People Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gerrie View Post
    I have a p550 and XP, and I have a feeling that it isn't possible - I seem to remember reading somewhere that Microsoft disables internet access as soon as its plugged in. I may be wrong, but thats what I remember...

Without a Wireless router, you've got a couple of options. If you are looking to download e-mail, then that should work anyway - mine does, even with accounts that are ONLY set up on the PDA.

If you need to download programs and so on, then you'll have to download to the lappy and then transfer them to the PDA.

If you simply want to browse the internet on the PDA, I have a feelign the answer might be 'tough' unless you can find a little program somewhere that will open up the network connection to the laptop...

Any particular reason?

Dave

PS - if a neighbour has an unsecured wireless network, then some people might be tempted to use it. Of course, that would be illegal so I couldn't possibly recommend doing that.
    I used to have a P550 before breaking the screen and I agree that I couldn’t connect to the internet via a laptop. However theP560 has a program “ Internet Sharing” which made me think that it might just be possible but it doesn’t have much in the way of instructions.
    The reason that I want to try to connect in this way is that there is a program called SeaSGEE which is a quick GPS position fixer but the Ephemeris file has to be downloaded direct to the pda and expires after 3 days. The program was installed by Mio as original.
    Not that the thought of using a neighbours unsecured wireless connection ever entered my head, but living on a canal boat in the middle of nowhere doesn’t exactly give me much hope unless the signal is strong enough to travel a few miles
    Terry
    Last edited by The Boat People; 27th January 2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Double post merged

The Boat People Guest

For anyone interested it is possible and I have now got it working.
    Update mobile device centre via the Microsoft website.
    Connect PDA to your computer via the USB cable and let Mobile Device centre set up a connection (select ‘set up device’). Once this is done, open Internet explorer on your PDA and start surfing. If this is not working, hard reset your device and try again
    Thank you Dave for your input.:cheers:

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by The Boat People View Post
    For anyone interested it is possible and I have now got it working.
    Update mobile device centre via the Microsoft website.
    Connect PDA to your computer via the USB cable and let Mobile Device centre set up a connection (select ‘set up device’). Once this is done, open Internet explorer on your PDA and start surfing. If this is not working, hard reset your device and try again
    Thank you Dave for your input.:cheers:

Terry
    is this usung the mios wireless to connect a desktop/laptop to the net, so the mio acts like a dongle/wireless card?

just tried what you've said and can't get the comp connected via the mios wireless

ah its just a standard set up - where the mio is connected to the net via syncing
    Last edited by lost it; 19th April 2009 at 12:43 AM.