Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Where do we go from here part 2

thecookiecrew Guest

Ok so here we go again, I like many other members here have ended up very confused as to where we take the whole GAGB scenario.

For example, who if anyone is running the [GAGB] show at the moment, i.e. Who is acting as chair, we know that Tim and June are kindly letting us continue on their servers, however with both Pharisee and themselves out of the picture from a chair point of view who is making the immediate decisions ?

Secondly where are we with the various discussions with landowners over the right to place caches on their land, could we perhaps have a locked members only forum with a summary of the current position. (Tim I suspect you currently hold the majority of this information, is it something you will be looking to pursue ?)

I ask these questions as a way to move forward and not to 'drain hole gaze' the rights and wrongs of previous posts, also I am sure there are many other questions that we can all think off that need some form of direction given, therefore could I suggest we look to use this post (and subsequent replies) as a minor wishlist of direction for the GAGB ?

Kouros Guest

In my humble opinion (and nothing more) what happens now is that the committee continues to be elected until posts are filled, and from that committee, we elect a new Chair Person/s.

Where we go from there would be up to the committee - but I suspect that even then the committee would put it up for debate on these very forums.

If we jump the gun, we'll end up with arguments of "we should do this" to "we should do that" - if you have a look at some of the earlier threads on this forum, you'll find such discussions, and it's mostly a bunch of people all arguing against each other for the same cause.

Once the committee is in place (and perhaps even able to delegate responsibility - local representation for example) there no reason why we shouldn't be able to do both "this" and "that".

So - my opinion is... we carry on with elections, and from that six we elect a new CP.

NattyBooshka Guest

All well and good, but looking at the GC.com forum, it appears FC would now like to talk to us.

Kouros Guest

In which case, we currently have two elected committee members - would they be willing to act as representatives, or if not in the area/available nominate alternatives that we as a group would agree upon?

NattyBooshka Guest

Lets hope so

Teasel Guest

Originally posted by thecookiecrew@Oct 6 2003, 03:24 PM
    For example, who if anyone is running the [GAGB] show at the moment, i.e. Who is acting as chair, we know that Tim and June are kindly letting us continue on their servers, however with both Pharisee and themselves out of the picture from a chair point of view who is making the immediate decisions ?
    -- the committee speaks --
    The elected committee members are currently handling things. We've only really made one, minor, decision so far, which is that GAGB should not provide hidden forums for people to discuss contentious issues.

-- Teasel speaks for himself --
    Once we have a full complement of committee members (I'm assuming six), I think it would be most appropriate for the elected committee to decide on how/when/if a chairperson should be chosen. Some sort of "vote of agreement" poll of the full membership may be in order, to ratify this decision.

The other half of the committee speaks.....

I agree with Teasel's points and I'll follow up the contact made by the Wilkinsons to keep that open. The committee will agree how to take that contact forwards once we know more about the opportunity being presented. We are keen to keep things moving and not loose an opportunity despite the current depleted state of committee members.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Kouros Guest

Sounds sensible. Good job guys!

I would like to make one suggestion to the committee.. that decisions are decided by the committee.. not put out to members.. if it is.. then just by design it will never be resolved.. Remember the "Is it AN association or THE association".

The committee is there to represent the members.. thats is what the voting is for. We have to have confidence in their decisions.. And should not influence that by pre-emtive comments or remarks on subjects that are being negotiated.

Saying that I would expect the committee to keep the memebers informed as to progress.. good or bad.

Now of to bed.. Night Night chaps and chapeses..!!!!
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

NattyBooshka Guest

We agree with you in part Moss.

There are some issues that, as long as we know are being dealt with, should stay in committee. However, in the main, committee should be open in other issues. Not opening up discussions for debate, but giving us access to minutes etc, which we're sure that they will. These minutes can, of course, be edited to remove sticking points.

We've had a really good feeling about the committee this week (assuming a week starts on a Sunday&#33 as one of them took time to discuss an issue with members (us) and the other is now going to run with a breakthrough in landowner approval and open up real negotiation with them. We now fully expect the Wombles to go and, hopefully, close the deal... opening up a unique area to our game, with added restrictions as of cours the landowner has the right to do.

Let's hope that each new member of the committee continues to add to that feeling. We fully expect not to agree with each committee member as that is life, and we're all passionate about our vision of the game, but if we see people moving us in the right direction, we'll be happy.

Last week ended with "a sad day for GAGB" and posts on that thread predicting doom. Now we see that "a great week for GAGB" should follow. FC's request to speak to our representatives is a massive step forward for the game in the South... successful closing of that deal will give us a deal that we can take elsewhere. Remembering that the FC are more involved in protection of the environment than a council would be, we see that a FC/NF agreement will carry even more weight than the HCC agreement when it comes to other bodies such as the NT. This is in now way meant to undermine the great work done and the great progress made in getting the HCC deal... but in our opinion, this is a bigger step forward.

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by NattyBooshka@Oct 7 2003, 06:31 AM
    There are some issues that, as long as we know are being dealt with, should stay in committee. However, in the main, committee should be open in other issues. Not opening up discussions for debate, but giving us access to minutes etc, which we're sure that they will. These minutes can, of course, be edited to remove sticking points.
    Once the committee is elected, I think you must leave it up to the committe to decide what gets done, how, who gets told what, etc.

One of the first jobs for the committee is to create a "constitution", and amongst the topics covered by the constitution should be "what do members do if they are unhappy with the committee". In a "traditional" organisation, you would have to get X signatures, which would force the holding of an Emergency General Meeting (or whatever you call it) where the matter would be discussed... which could easily include a vote of no-confidence, or a "recall motion" on one or more of the committee members.

Ok, we won&#39;t have "people meetings" in quite the same way, but it would seem sensible to follow that same concept: X members notify <whoever> and the topic gets discussed / voted on online.

But apart from that, I think taht you should leave the committee to get on with things.

Now, on a practical, day-to-day, basis, I would expect that certain things would be discussed 100% "behind closed doors, committee only"; other things may still be behind closed doors, but with committee & others involved; and many things would be openly discussed online.

By electing a committee, you are saying "we trust you to run our organisation", and you really MUST let the committee handle things the way they feel fit. You MUST accept that certain things WILL be discussed privately, with no information coming out until you are given a "fait accompli".... but that&#39;s just the way things work.

By electing a committee and then complaining at the way they handle things will completely undermine what everyone wants to achieve.

Now, all of what I have written would apply to a HUGE number of organisations: for example, I&#39;m involved with Winchester Hospital Radio. We elect a committee, and they then do whatever is needed. Some things get discussed in private, and are never made public (ie it is simply "non-news"). Occasionally (but not often, due to an apathetic membership&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33 the membership will get asked for views. But most of the time it&#39;s somewhere between: committee members will speak to "interested members" to find out ideas / feelings, and bring this back to the committee, who make a suitable decision, which is then "published" to the members. This works, and people are happy.

In many organisations, the members are simply just not *interested* in the committee and what they do: as long as "the organisation continues to exist" then the members are happy. GAGB is perhaps a bit different, in that many of the members *ARE* interested in what is going on.... which, I think, makes for a very pleasant change&#33;

Finally, everyone please note that the 2nd round of the lections has added Team Tate to the committee (well done&#33;&#33: the 3rd round of the committee elections are now happening, so make sure you go and vote&#33;

Paul

Well Said that Man
    Geocachers do it by Degrees

NattyBooshka Guest

Paul... like I said agree with most of the sentiment here,

However, the constitution of an organisation is ratified by its members, or should be.

Secondly, if we don&#39;t know what you are doing how will we know what&#39;s being done right and wrong?

Finally, if we are kept in the dark on issues like the NF, expect a similar debate as we had on that issue. Not necessarily from us, but from any member who feels strongly enough that something needs to be said. This time negotiations were not harmed, infact it seems things have taken a posititve turn. Next time, maybe we won&#39;t be so lucky.

We don&#39;t see you can represent the membership without talking to them... maybe that&#39;s just us.

Good luck though with the committee, we will be supporting it unless we are given reason not to, as we&#39;re sure will everybody else.

Team Paradise Guest

Originally posted by NattyBooshka@Oct 8 2003, 08:28 PM
    Secondly, if we don&#39;t know what you are doing how will we know what&#39;s being done right and wrong?
    Seems to me that if the membership elects a committee then there must be some trust in that the elected committee will be &#39;doing the right thing&#39; for the most part... a committee of six should be fairly representitive and shouldn&#39;t need too much &#39;nannying&#39; from it&#39;s members ?

MCL Guest

Ah yes, as Team tate mentions the number six above, are we actually electing six members now, since Tim and June have stepped down, or the five that Admin mentioned in the polls thread, as it would have been originally?

I suggest bringing the numbers back up to six.

NattyBooshka Guest

As six was the agreed size of committee I guess we are having an extra round on the original five planned too.

Happy to leave everything to this committee btw... not intereseted in the day to day business of the GAGB to be honest. This association, for me, is a means to getting approval from the big landowners. I will be interested to see if once that is done it can still offer me anything... I hope it can, despite teething pains, it is all moving along very well.