Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: The Lake District

Question The Lake District

Who are the best cache hiders in the Lakes ?

and

What are the best caches in the Lake district

and

Are there any bookmark lists for the Lake district

and

is it coverd by a local forum ?

We usually filter out anything with less than 2 terrain so if there is something outstanding at 1 or 1.5 let me know.

D5 T5 not a problem

Cheers folks
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Did the lake District last year around Derwent Water (Keswick). There were some excellent caches around there, providing fantastic views.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

I'm sure you'd enjoy doing St Herbert's Island. The Golem (the cache owner) very kindly brought his own canoe and he and his two children came with us - it was our 250th find.

It was well worth stopping off at Surprise View on the way to Watendlath Tarn - don't miss out on the flapjack at the small tearoom there.

Castlerigg Stone Circle is worth a look (if you're interested in such things) and we also enjoyed the walk to Scale Force.

Mirror Image and George Hodgson are both interesting Virtuals.

The Smileys seem to have quite a few caches around the area and the ones we did were enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I'm sure you'd enjoy doing St Herbert's Island. The Golem (the cache owner) very kindly brought his own canoe and he and his two children came with us - it was our 250th find.

It was well worth stopping off at Surprise View on the way to Watendlath Tarn - don't miss out on the flapjack at the small tearoom there.

Castlerigg Stone Circle is worth a look (if you're interested in such things) and we also enjoyed the walk to Scale Force.

Mirror Image and George Hodgson are both interesting Virtuals.

The Smileys seem to have quite a few caches around the area and the ones we did were enjoyable.
    We had a mini epic at Surprise View a few years ago

Dont do virtuals BTW

Scale force looks a cracking cache keep em coming folks.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post

Dont do virtuals BTW

Against your religion?

If you can work out which ones they are, the caches set by Mickledore are worth chasing. E.g. Rose H. Kershaw.
    The virtual "George Hodgson" mentioned above is one of them, and although I tend to ignore virtuals I was pleased that I did this one so it's worth you making an exception.

The Ring Of Power caches (https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks...1-6fe04651c66e) are obviously a must-do; I did the original version several years ago when it was a single multi and it's right up your street.
    However, you really need look no further than Fellsmanhiker if you want decent caches in the best locations with great walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post

Against your religion?
    Something like that

Ahh the fellsmanhiker caches does anyone know why over 90% of his caches are members only ?

i can see from there history that they change from MO to open to MO occasionally and being such high terrain its unusual to see that many set MO ..??

Yes LOR is on the list as we are staying on the coast side of the lakes this year.

Ahh the fellsmanhiker caches does anyone know why over 90% of his caches are members only ?
    Can't remember the details now; I have the e-mails somewhere, but I doubt that you're THAT bothered. There was trouble with some geocacher a few years ago, and Mike decided that MO would help the situation. I guess it worked, as he hasn't opened them up since.

I'll second suggesting Fellsmanhiker's caches (also Tashington, his four-legged companion).

Martlakes & Freya have placed about 150, of which I've done 63. In those, there hasn't been a bad cache! They'll take you places you never knew existed. I can highly recommend the Bell Hill Boogie series. Just don't take a pushchair and be prepared for a challenge.

Any by Duncscott will take you well off the beaten track.

Without wanting to advertise my own new cache (Scrabbling Around in the Undergrowth), have a look at taking in Scout Scar on your way to/from the lakes. Well worth the diversion, even if there were no caches. See if you can spot the cairn that's grown up over the Mushroom cache. When I found it (my first cache) I walked right over it several times. Now you can see it from 30 yards away!:lol:

If your a numbers person at all, then there's LOADS in Kendal (109 within 5 miles)! And all the ones I've done (most of them) are good!

NorthWest Cachers covers the area, though it is a little chorley-area dominated.

One of my favourite walks takes in Easedale Tarn which has its own cache. A great place to stop, take in the view, have a cup of coffee and a nipple on yer piece of Grasmere Gingerbread.

From the village of Grasmere its a nice easy stroll on well made paths

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendolyn View Post
    One of my favourite walks takes in Easedale Tarn which has its own cache. A great place to stop, take in the view, have a cup of coffee and a nipple on yer piece of Grasmere Gingerbread.

From the village of Grasmere its a nice easy stroll on well made paths
    Err the kids will be present so we will save that for later

Sick Clanger is a classic if you like (difficult) challenges and a stiff (but excellent) walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Sick Clanger is a classic if you like (difficult) challenges and a stiff (but excellent) walk.
    Ahh i have seen that one before, i also found one like it where the online solver used a different formulae so not only did you have to work out the "code" you had to find the right web site.

we are staying on the coast side of the lakes this year.
    N,W,S coast - where?

We liked the last wolf on the South coast of the lakes

Quote Originally Posted by reddeeps View Post
    We liked the last wolf on the South coast of the lakes
    I enjoyed that one as well - interesting tree shapes - as shown below...

Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Quote Originally Posted by gazooks View Post
    I enjoyed that one as well - interesting tree shapes - as shown below...

Ohh that reminds me of this classic cache in Cornwall

niknrich Guest

You're spoilt for choice really - there are so many good ones. We've found 227 caches in the Lake District, so here are a few of our favourites:

* Way of the Waymarkers - nice Grizedale Forest multi that can be done on foot or by mountain bike
    * Stang End - and other nearby Tilberthwaite caches (mostly Fellsmanhiker ones)
    * Only In The Dark 1 & 2 - the most fun you can have with a torch!
    * Swedish Delight - lovely walk up to High Sweden Bridge from Ambleside
    * Mardale Madness series - although I think these may be archived shortly
    * Torver Trail series - Fellsmanhiker again
    * Pictionary - good one for a wet day when you don't want to go up high
    * Secret Staveley Series - nice Bog Bears series
    * Troutbeck series - nice martlakes & freya series
    * Roy Farrell's Chair - lovely quiet spot above Loweswater if you want to escape the crowds
    * Ull's Marbles series - another nice m&f series

If you like puzzles, these ones are worth the effort!
    Gridlock
    Sick Clanger
    In the Middle of a Pig

If you try Quest for the Ring of Power we hope you have better luck than us as we've tried to find the first cache 3 times and failed!

If you want any suggestions for "geohikes" let us know as we've devised loads.

Edited to add I've just made a bookmark list of the above:
    https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks...d-83bcb1a3da8f
    Last edited by niknrich; 10th February 2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: bookmark added!

Quote Originally Posted by Guanajuato View Post
    I'll second suggesting Fellsmanhiker's caches (also Tashington, his four-legged companion).

Martlakes & Freya have placed about 150, of which I've done 63. In those, there hasn't been a bad cache! They'll take you places you never knew existed. I can highly recommend the Bell Hill Boogie series. Just don't take a pushchair and be prepared for a challenge.

Any by Duncscott will take you well off the beaten track.
    Agree with Guanajuato. Our local top 5 would be something like (in alphabetical order)

Eskdale/Scafell Multi - FMH
    Pirates Mystery Trail II - Bog Bears
    Quest for the Ring of Power Stage 2 - yasdnil/The Golem
    Rakers of the Lost Ark - NickH
    The Westmorland Cairn - FMH

MBF

Superb stuff many many thanks im going to compile a holiday bookmark list for these.

Rakers of the Lost Ark is the Rake safe now ??

also is there a really good hint available for the right price on that one ??h34r::cheers::cheers:

Rakers of the Lost Ark is the Rake safe now ??
    Are you referring to recent problems with Lords Rake (see Wasdale MRT site) or is there something about Jacks Rake that we haven't heard about?

It would take an enormous bribe to get a hint from us!

MBF

I think that there was a fatal accident on Jack's Rake last week. Of course, it's more or less safe or dangerous depending on your level of experience, but I imagine that it's a little risky for the inexperienced at the moment. However, I believe that the person who died was a highly experienced mountaineer.
    Last edited by Happy Humphrey; 13th February 2009 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBFace View Post
    Are you referring to recent problems with Lords Rake (see Wasdale MRT site) or is there something about Jacks Rake that we haven't heard about?

It would take an enormous bribe to get a hint from us!

MBF
    Yes i got my rakes mixed up !

There was an accident near to Jacks Rake last week

The link below conveys the sad news

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=340767

Bump as we have now booked our two weeks close (ish) to this cache

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...aspx?wp=GCWB2B