Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Garmin eTrex H - PC connection

Question Garmin eTrex H - PC connection

I am an absolute beginner at Geocaching and have been given a brand new Garmin eTrex H handheld GPS Navigator as a birthday present. I was also given a RS232/USB cable to allow me to connect to my laptop. Alas the handheld does not have a USB connecting port, instead it has a flat pad with four round brass terminals.

I have searched the Garmin site and Amazon, where my wife purchased the kit, to find a suitable connecting cable but alas I am now even more confused that before. My wife appears to have looked at Amazon, selected the handheld and then assumed that the cables advertised were the correct cables.

Could anyone tell me what would be the correct adaptor or cable and where to buy it.

I purchased "Geocaching for Dummies" and while it certainly has given me a better idea of the hobby, I don't live across the "Pond". Are there any suitable books/publications to suit the UK brand of English?
    The Mad Leprechaun

I wake up every morning with a smile
    just to get it over with

You need one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-SERIAL-DATA-CABLE-for-GARMIN-eTrex-eMap-GEKO-GPS_W0QQitemZ230321290751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud ioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems?hash=item230 321290751&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683 |66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

you will see from the picture that the spade end goes in the slot where the 4 brass contacts are on the Etrex. This is a serial only cable, if your laptop has a serial port then plug it in there, if it doesn't then you need to use this cable with your USB-Serial cable to drive it throught the USB port - I've never done that so can't guarantee it will work but someone on here can probably comment on that.

Or if your good with a soldering iron http://www.pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/emap/index.htm which are available from http://lynks.co.uk/pplugs.html

h34r:

Many thanks for your directions. As soon as I saw your reply I placed an order for the cable. This is exactly what I wanted.
    The Mad Leprechaun

just to get it over with

Many thanks Matrix for pointing me to a very interesting site. I am by no means an electronic engineer but I will give this a try some time soon.
    The Mad Leprechaun

just to get it over with

Quote Originally Posted by MadLeprechaun View Post
    Many thanks Matrix for pointing me to a very interesting site. I am by no means an electronic engineer but I will give this a try some time soon.
    MadLeprechaun, you probably realized that your original attempt at this post got trapped by our spam filter, as you've made less than five posts and there was a link in your post (in the quote from Matrix). I was about to release your post, but then saw that you'd posted again without the link.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

iksander Guest

Hi,

I am in a similar situation to you - I bought my Dad an etrex H and an D9/USB cable, not realising I ALSO needed a data cable - oh joy.

While I am waiting for that I thought I would investigate what software I'd need for loading POIs on to the etrex H.

I already have "POI edit" which I have used for my GPS, but that uses ActiveSync for Windows and I'm not convinced the etrex does?

What software do people recommend for loading pocket queries to an etrex H?

cheers

Pete

GSAK
    Garmin POI loader
    EasyGPS

Garmin MapSource is supposed to be able to load.

GSAK is free to download, and 21 days free use.
    After 21 days you will get a nag screen "Do you want to pay?" -BUT it is still fully functional without paying. (But it's so good, why would you not pay?!)
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Geocache Log will also load your cache info into the 'H', and click here as it is FREE to register and use at the moment. It is all I use to maintain a Found, Yet to find & Hidden database. It uploads to all Garmins, creates Memory Map CSV files, creates you ongoing stats to upload to your profile.
    Well worth a look seeing as it is FREE

iksander Guest

Great thank you!

Another newbie question - is it possible to grab descriptions and/or hints in a pocket query? Or is it restricted to the alpha numeric name and coords?

cheers

A PQ (Pocket Query) contains everything you see on the cache page, except images.

A PQ will have the last 5 logs, and will contain any logs you have made to the cache.

(If you download the GPX file from the cache page, you get the last 20 logs and any logs you have made to the cache)
    Last edited by Bear and Ragged; 22nd May 2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added info
    Work gets in the way!

Your next question is:
    "How much of this information is shown on my GPS?"
    Work gets in the way!

iksander Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    A PQ (Pocket Query) contains everything you see on the cache page, except images.

A PQ will have the last 5 logs, and will contain any logs you have made to the cache.

(If you download the GPX file from the cache page, you get the last 20 logs and any logs you have made to the cache)
    I have only recently gone Premium on geocaching.com but the PQs from there just seem to contain the code name and coords. Am I missing something?

Yes, they're not PQs they're loc files.

Try: http://geocaching.com/pocket

Work gets in the way!

onewheelers Guest

Default More info on same subject please ...

Hi
    I have the same question as the mad leprachaun but the link from martybardfast is now dead - so would be grateful if someone could update with generic info so i can search online.
    I have no cables at all. Amazon shows the gps with 2 cables freq bought but when i follow the details on these it seems to cast some doubt on whether they acyually work with garmin.
    I am no good with a soldering iron so the other advice is beyond me!
    Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I think the cable you will need will have a serial connection on the PC on (or a serial/USB convertor if your PC doesn't have a serial port).

Here is one on the Garmin site ... but you can probably get on on ebay.

Have a read of Graculus's website ... you will find some useful info and has a closeup photo of the serial connection.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

USB to Etrex lead on Ebay HERE

onewheelers Guest

Thanks - have ordered from ebay. For others with the same question in the future after this particular ebay listing is gone - the firm making the cable is CalNorthern Systems so you could search for them and cable is listed as
    USB to SERIAL CONVERTER CABLE for GARMIN eTrex,GEKO GPS

Thanks for the help.

Default Garmin Etrex H

Hi
    I purchased one of these leads for my etrex h, works great cost £15.50 inc p&p.

Cyril
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 30th January 2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added URL

Scottie32 Guest

Default Setting up PC link to Etrex H

Help please!! I have an Etrex H, purchased a cable with usb connector, loaded sortware to give me a serial connection (my PC runs Vista and has no serial port).

I selected, according to the instructions with the cable, the NMEA protocol but the model of Etrex H I have has only NMEA out not in and out.

I can't seen to download GPS coordinates can anyone help a complete beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie32 View Post
    Help please!! I have an Etrex H, purchased a cable with usb connector, loaded sortware to give me a serial connection (my PC runs Vista and has no serial port).

I selected, according to the instructions with the cable, the NMEA protocol but the model of Etrex H I have has only NMEA out not in and out.

I can't seen to download GPS coordinates can anyone help a complete beginner?
    Use 'Garmin' settings.
    Work gets in the way!