Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Who's got snow...

Default Who's got snow...

... and how's it affecting you if you have? Are you unable to get to work and getting out there caching?

I'm in south Wiltshire, and we don't usually see much snow here, but there's enough out there right now to make many minor roads all but impassable, and side roads in urban areas are pretty treacherous too.

And me? I'm not going out in it any more than I have to...!

There's a cache I could do on foot from home, but I suspect I wouldn't be able to get near it for tobogganing muggles.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

I know every News programme through the day has been showing pics of the "heavy snow falls in south Wales" but here in this SE corner I woke up to about ½ inch which soon disappeared by midday. I think there's more as you go westwards towards Cardiff.

They're promising more heavy falls in that area on Thursday, which is of particular concern because MrB hopes to be flying back to Cardiff from Schiphol that evening.

About a foot here on the fields. The roads are pretty clear, even the side streets have been gritted. Council gardeners have been out and cleared peoples paths.

Unfortunately the towns we border on have not gritted so much so all the roads to Yorkshire through Saddleworth are shut.

Just a small amount here in the East Lancashire Pennines, just like winters were some 20 years ago. The Series IIa Land Rover (1965 vintge) has no problems whatsoever. The problem we have is that the local authority refuse to grit the sideroads, only bus routes, then complain that they are unable to grit and plough properly as people have left their cars parked on the main road

Not seen any snow here yet, except for a little flurry for five minutes at the weekend and some light snow on the hilltops.
    Roads are still dry and clear, except for the Mountain Road which is closed due to a light sprinkling of snow and a few patches of ice. It's cold, though,:socool: (no, cold I said), with temperatures plunging down to 4C overnight.

Very little snow here in Watford. That's Watford the village, just beyond the 'Gap' services, in Northampton not the large town in Hertfordshire.

Two members of my department live in Leicester and decided not to come into work. One excuse was it would take too long to get to work. My response was 'well, get up earlier then'.

More snow forecast tomorrow in the midlands with flurries of excuses no doubt not to come into work but flounce around at home whilst they get paid and watch Flog It and Deal Or No Deal.
    Ho hum!

We have a bit :cheers:

p.s It's a TB as well

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I know every News programme through the day has been showing pics of the "heavy snow falls in south Wales" but here in this SE corner I woke up to about ½ inch which soon disappeared by midday. I think there's more as you go westwards towards Cardiff.

They're promising more heavy falls in that area on Thursday, which is of particular concern because MrB hopes to be flying back to Cardiff from Schiphol that evening.
    MrB is writing this from his hotel room in Neiuwegein (which is free of snow) and just waiting for the weather forecast BBC1 for South Wales..... Flight at 21:30 from Schiphol tomorrow (Thursday) so if you find out Cardiff airport is closed spare a thought for me at the airport here.....

Chris (Mr Blorenge)

Quote Originally Posted by Watford Wobble View Post
    Two members of my department live in Leicester and decided not to come into work. One excuse was it would take too long to get to work. My response was 'well, get up earlier then'.
    Tell them about this bloke:

http://http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23634573-details/Man+walks+18+miles+through+snow+storm+to+get+to+wo rk/article.do

who walked 18 miles to get to work!

Me? I worked from home, only one of my team made it in to work on Monday so the company got him to stay in a hotel & bought him a change of clothes to make sure we had at least one body on site for Tuesday!

Snow?
    Nope, not round here.

But that didn't stop the schools from closing after 2 little flakes of white floated down...
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Last night it had all gone then - 6" of the stuff again this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Roger View Post
    Last night it had all gone then - 6" of the stuff again this morning!
    Same here only we have about 3"

Still no snow here; even the mountain road is open. The daffs and crocuses are taking advantage of the early spring weather to push upwards! I'll have to go and mow the lawn now.

Got about 2 or so inches - more than Monday.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Just rain down here - and most of Monday's snow has been washed away now.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R.a.M.P. View Post
    Just rain down here - and most of Monday's snow has been washed away now.
    We (in Luton) had another 6 or 7 inches of snow overnight which made the journey to work 'interesting' this morning. It's melting fast now, though (15:00) and the roads are just slushy so it should be OK come 'home time'
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Took me 45 mins to take the wife to work in Stevenage this morning, to earn my beer money, (normally a 10 min journey).

I told her to take the bus home.....................

We've got loads of the stuff, but that's not unusual here. A few years ago the village got cut off, and our friends at the RAF flew supplies in for us....................the kids loved it
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Very little in North Wiltshire all week until yesterday night. There was about 5 inches of snow on the car this morning, unfortunately I had to go to central London for meetings.

It was surprisingly easy to get there and back, roads clear again this evening. Now it's snowing again, the weather websites disagreeing about what will happen.

Kids really sorry for themselves, their school has been open all week and every other school in town is closed apart from theirs - the Head didn't even go in herself!

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Quote Originally Posted by The Wombles View Post
    Very little in North Wiltshire all week until yesterday night. There was about 5 inches of snow on the car this morning, unfortunately I had to go to central London for meetings.

It was surprisingly easy to get there and back, roads clear again this evening. Now it's snowing again, the weather websites disagreeing about what will happen.

Kids really sorry for themselves, their school has been open all week and every other school in town is closed apart from theirs - the Head didn't even go in herself!
    Same thing here in S Worcs pretty much. I went to my photography evening class on good mainly dry roads and the Tec was shut
    Lots of other really racked off about it too!

Quote Originally Posted by The Wombles View Post
    Now it's snowing again, the weather websites disagreeing about what will happen.
    Here in south Wiltshire, just down the road from you, it's bucketing down with rain...!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Lydford Locators Guest

Here in North Wiltshire we awoke yesterday to 5" of snow on the ground and there was more falling during the day. :

The kids school was shut for the day and suffering from geocaching withdrawal we contemplated walking to our nearest unfound cache around 1 mile away. Eventually we abandoned the idea, as although we could make it to ground zero it would be very difficult to spot the stickoflage in the snow - so we went sledging, built a snowman and had a few snowball fights instead.

Today we woke to find an additional 3" of snow had fallen and with a blizzard raging outside the school is shut for the second day. So the caching is put on hold again ... not sure how much longer Mrs Locator sufferring from GAS (Geocaching Addiction Syndrome) can cope before she HAS to go caching! :wacko:

Perhaps it'll be the ideal time to put our brains to work on those troublesome local puzzle caches.
    Last edited by Lydford Locators; 6th February 2009 at 07:54 AM.

Luton... update 11:30
    It was snowing hard and settling when I left for work at 06:30 this morning and has been snowing ever since. It's about 8" deep in our car park and getting deeper so it's going to be fun trying to get home... I don't think! Ever felt like it would would have been a good day to stay in bed?
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Watford village update.

Think I spoke too soon. Couldn't get into work yesterday due to heavy snow so I flounced around the house and watched Flog It and Deal No Deal.

Back into work toay but loads of snow this morning.

Doubt I'll be caching at the weekend as I have to do some marathon training. But there again as we run around Pitsford reservoir I may do a cache there.
    Ho hum!