Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Did you know ?

Question Did you know ?

The oldest geo cache in the UK is called Scotlands first

It was planted so long ago that when you obtain its details in a pocket query its terrain is rated at -1

As its only had 33 finders since it was planted on 15th December 2000. Indicating its terrain is probably a 5 !! h34r:

The original container is still the one you find.

The listing includes a plea for UK grid references to be used.

Purpose of thread is to add another UK based did you know.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Did you also know that the quoted co-ordinates for that cache are wildly inaccurate? I was the 4th finder of Scotland's First, back in 2003 so I do know what I'm talking about. If you use the latitude and longitude quoted at the top of the cache page, it will put you some 250 feet west(ish) of the actual cache location. If you use the OS grid reference quoted in the text, you will be roughly 150 feet south(ish) of the cache.
    If you intend going for this one, read some of the comments by the earlier finders as they have quoted much more accurate co-ordinates in their logs.
    Having said all that, it's a tough climb and not to be taken lightly. You'll get a great sense of achievement from finding it and one hell of a view when you get there.
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Would it be worth asking your friendly north of England/Scottish Reviewer to amend the co-ords?... or would that just spoil the fun of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Would it be worth asking your friendly north of England/Scottish Reviewer to amend the co-ords?... or would that just spoil the fun of it?
    Nah.... don't want to make it TOO easy. That's half the fun!!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Pharisee View Post
    You'll get a great sense of achievement from finding it and one hell of a view when you get there.

Slightly better than a waterlogged micro sitting at the base of a post used as a dog latrine 20 yards from the car park then?

Oh happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by qichina View Post
    Slightly better than a waterlogged micro sitting at the base of a post used as a dog latrine 20 yards from the car park then?

Oh happy days.

Oh, yes,
    https://img.geocaching.com/cache/log...0dd47df3e2.jpg

Definately!

keehotee Guest

Did you also know that the quoted co-ordinates for that cache are wildly inaccurate?
    Shouldn't it also hold the UK's oldest "Needs Maintenance" log as well then...??

Quote Originally Posted by qichina View Post

Oh happy days.
    I guess these types of caches are very useful if you drive your dog to take it for a walk.
    Ho hum!

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    The original container is still the one you find.
    If the cache that von-horst is holding in the photo above is 'Scotland's First' then if definitely isn't the original container... sorry. The original box was a smaller, Tupperware type box and had a blue snap-on lid. It certainly wasn't a Lok & Lok type box as shown in the photo.

Just looked through the logs and after a number of reports of the cache being wet, the original box was replaced on September 9th, 2006 by one 'gribbin'. Good on yer, mate!
    John

If the cache that von-horst is holding in the photo above is 'Scotland's First' then if definitely isn't the original container... sorry. The original box was a smaller, Tupperware type box and had a blue snap-on lid. It certainly wasn't a Lok & Lok type box as shown in the photo.

Just looked through the logs and after a number of reports of the cache being wet, the original box was replaced on September 9th, 2006 by one 'gribbin'. Good on yer, mate!

Ooh nice spot.

Community maintainance at its best.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Geocaching_Poland Guest

Default Cheers Lads and Gents

I'm new around here. Wonder if there is any crate somewhere nearby London area to be geolocated and picked up by me? :cheers:

Scotland's First was placed a few years after I had climbed Ben More, but I can tell you it's a very steep climb all the way! I climbed it on a miserable day with the cloud base at 2000ft, so I never got the chance to enjoy the view at the top
    Aly and I enjoy taking the kids camping in area, it's a place we never tire of visiting , stunning scenery!

I think it would be a good idea for a reviewer to update the co-ords, climbing all that way and not being able to find the cache because of bad co-ords would be a real shame.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jacobite View Post
    Scotland's First was placed a few years after I had climbed Ben More, but I can tell you it's a very steep climb all the way! I climbed it on a miserable day with the cloud base at 2000ft, so I never got the chance to enjoy the view at the top
    Aly and I enjoy taking the kids camping in area, it's a place we never tire of visiting , stunning scenery!

I think it would be a good idea for a reviewer to update the co-ords, climbing all that way and not being able to find the cache because of bad co-ords would be a real shame.
    coordinates updated to N 56° 23.229 W 004° 33.049

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    coordinates updated to N 56° 23.229 W 004° 33.049

Deci
    Nice one, Deci.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk