Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: kinder Scout (peak district)

Default kinder Scout (peak district)

We are off to the peak district in March for some Caching/hiking, there seem to be more than a days worth of Caches on the Scout. Anyone got any suggestions or done a days serious hiking up there? suggestions of not to miss Caches would be welcome.

I can't talk about the caches there, but I've crossed it on numerous occasions. Do you know it at all, or is it your first visit? It's probably the toughest ground south of the Scottish border, perhaps even in the whole of Britain.

Thanks Happy Humphry, I have looked at the OS maps and am hoping for some challenging hiking. I have done sections of the Cullin Ridge as well as most of the exposed areas of the north peak district. I have also done the 3 peaks although not in 24Hrs (we went for 3 days and enjoyed the travelling but not the 50m visibility above 700m on the Ben) I have also hiked all over Dartmoor and Exmoor. Having said all this I really appreciate the warning as these are not places for casual day trippers.

The Kinder plateau caches and any that fit your proposed walking route up and down from it.

We have this planned as a day out oursleves and thats the approach we are taking.

The true reward is to be up there. Its an extreme environment.

Get the OS map plan your route and then see which caches it takes you near or past.

Note you may be within 100 ft of some but on the wrong side of a cliff !

There is a bookmark list here

https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks...9-64e7d050d3f8
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    Its an extreme environment.

.....it's certainly rather grough up there

Quote Originally Posted by Nevryan View Post
    Thanks Happy Humphry, I have looked at the OS maps and am hoping for some challenging hiking. I have done sections of the Cullin Ridge as well as most of the exposed areas of the north peak district. I have also done the 3 peaks although not in 24Hrs (we went for 3 days and enjoyed the travelling but not the 50m visibility above 700m on the Ben) I have also hiked all over Dartmoor and Exmoor. Having said all this I really appreciate the warning as these are not places for casual day trippers.
    I'm sure you'll be in no danger then, but allow extra time as it's slow going over the plateau. Kinder Downfall will be fantastic if it's still frozen, and a worthwhile spot to aim for even if not (via Kinder Gates if possible). Grindsbrook is a great approach from Edale. Kinder Low is the highest point, but is only for the peak bagger as there's nothing special about the "summit". Kinder Edge is a great walk too if you can fit it in to the route. In mist, GPS will be a huge help. The Horseshoe is a brilliant day out for the energetic; the shorter version from Mam Tor (or Lose Hill), via Rushup Edge, Brown Knoll, Kinder Downfall and Grindsbrook is recommended if you're reasonably fit.