Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Wherigo

mousey1403 Guest

Default Wherigo

Hi,

I'm currently assembling a wherigo cartridge, but with very few having been made in Scotland and with the GS forum being void of any sensible conversation I thought i'd ask a few questions.

Has anyone had any experience with wherigo builder??

Are there any copyright issues with images used on a cartridge? Can I use images from the internet and have an aknowledgement at the end as source?

I know it's not a common subject and appreciate any advice

Thanks

Kev

When you said "the GS forum being void of any sensible conversation", which of the GSP forums did you mean?

I was just wondering if you've seen the 4 GSP Topics in their Whereigo Forum, where there seems to be quite a bit of discussion...

Whereigo section, towards the bottom of this page link.

We haven't done a Whereigo yet, but several people have said that the Brean Fort Whereigo is one of the best examples near here.

Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 15th February 2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: I just fort of adding the Brean link.

I built a long and elaborate one (30 stages, several characters etc.) a couple of years ago. It takes a lot of patience and hard work!

Hasn't sTeamTraen been playing about with an alternative builder?

Harrogat Hunters and Delta68 are two caching teams that I know have them, Delta's 2, or possibly 3, now I think....

H

mousey1403 Guest

Ok, perhaps my terminology wasn't correct.

The wherigo forums don't tell you the simple things. I have a fair understanding of computers, how they work, building web pages etc.

The builder is complicated to initially understand and the simple questions aren't covered.

What would be good is if there was a basic .lua that hadn't been converted for you to download and look at or take apart, to see how it was initially built.

The copyright question I think is an obvious one. Anyone can blatantly copy an episode of their favourite tv program or a book they've read (there is a complete copied episode of Star trek, on the location it was filmed), but are Groundspeak monitoring for such infringements or can they be passed off with a simple disclaimer at the end.

If you contact sTeamTraen I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a copy of his builder program. Which from comments I've read is a lot easier to use.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Quote Originally Posted by mousey1403 View Post
    The copyright question I think is an obvious one. Anyone can blatantly copy an episode of their favourite tv program or a book they've read (there is a complete copied episode of Star trek, on the location it was filmed), but are Groundspeak monitoring for such infringements or can they be passed off with a simple disclaimer at the end.

Why would GSP be monitoring things?

Its a bit like youtube - they will (almost certainly) pull a cache if the copyright holder or a third party raises the issue of infringement but the offense (and hence the liability) would appear to be committed by the placer of the cache, since GSP merely provides a hosting service...

See http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-a...c-internet.htm for more info.

The copyright question I think is an obvious one.
    If you take your pictures from http://www.geograph.org.uk (assuming they have an appropriate picture) then all you have to do is give a credit to the photographer(s) and you're free to use them as you wish.

sTeamTraen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    If you contact sTeamTraen I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a copy of his builder program. Which from comments I've read is a lot easier to use.
    I can't send you a copy because it's a Web site.

I wrote my own builder for a number of reasons, but the biggest one was that using the Lua file as, in effect, both the source and object code of the builder, is IMO a huge design flaw which will lead to all sorts of accidents. I also wanted to have something which didn't need Windows (and especially didn't need a specific .NET framework version), and could handle accented characters and have a multilingual interface, neither of which are probably of great interest here.

After four months of testing by a group of volunteers, it's starting to look like a usable product. In my opinion you have to do a lot less clicking than with the Groundspeak builder, plus since it's Web-based you can work on your cartridge during quiet moments at work as well. However, it doesn't make learning the whole set of Wherigo concepts any easier, and you actually have to do a tiny bit more planning of your coding process because you have to define things like dialogs before you can use them.

Groundspeak have offered to host it, which I hope will mean that we can integrate the accounts databases and should certainly provide better availability than my ISP's free Web space. With a bit of luck they will also help me make it look nicer.

Right now I am not accepting any more users into the testing programme because firstly I already have enough, and secondly, I want to dedicate the limited time which I have for this project, to the migration to Groundspeak hosting.

Hi,

I'm currently assembling a wherigo cartridge, but with very few having been made in Scotland and with the GS forum being void of any sensible conversation I thought i'd ask a few questions.

Are there any copyright issues with images used on a cartridge? Can I use images from the internet and have an aknowledgement at the end as source?

Thanks

Kev
    Hi Kev,

I made a Wherigo cache GC1DAAA and was very careful to ensure that all the images I used had creative commons licencing (ie free to copy for non-commercial use). As Groundspeak compiles your cartridge uniquely for each user that downloads it, they are potentially liable for the content which probably at least in part explains why the Ts and Cs for Wherigo are so onerous.

If you'd like the LUA source code for my wherigo (on the understanding that you won't attempt the cache and don't pass the code on to anyone else, since it contains the solution to the cache, of course) to help get you started, please PM your preferred email address to me.

Regards, Roderick

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    Hi Kev,

....all the images I used had creative commons licencing (ie free to copy for non-commercial use).
    I'd class anything hosted on GSP as commercial though - as to access it you have either paid a sub, or you are accessing it via an ad supported third party site..... so to use any pic with a creative commons license in a Wherigo (or on any other cache page) you are still going to need the explicit permission of the image owner.

Hi,
    I would recommend you contact a reviewer regarding this, as it is the reviewer that will decide whether or not it is acceptable in the first instance.
    I had a cache refused due to it having an image of a record/cd cover on it hmy:.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phillimore Clan View Post
    I would recommend you contact a reviewer regarding this, as it is the reviewer that will decide whether or not it is acceptable in the first instance.
    I had a cache refused due to it having an image of a record/cd cover on it hmy:.
    With Wherigo cartridges whether they are just Wherigo's or Hybrids, if there are any copyright issues with pictures used, you need to contact Groundspeak direct. Reviewers only deal with the physical locations [containers] within a Wherigo Hybrid cache. We have nothing to do with the actual cartridge and it's contents. Apart from the fact that the cartridge must be hosted on the Wherigo site.

Personally I don't have the

Tools
    Skill
    Time

to download and deconstuct a Wherigo Hybrid Cartridge to see if there is any issues with it.

I'm guessing this now, but if Groundspeak had a pile of complaints about copyright issues within Wherigo Cartridges. They would put into place some sort of Review process. They have a experienced legal eagle on staff who will be aware of all the potential pitfalls.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

mousey1403 Guest

Thanks for all the advice.

I had a cache refused due to it having an image of a record/cd cover on it .
    I hadn't expected the cartridge to be reviewed by the standard reviewers, the cartridge is uploaded to a different website and then linked to the cache page.

If I thought Dave would have been involved in reviewing the material he would have been my first port of call.

I'd class anything hosted on GSP as commercial though - as to access it you have either paid a sub, or you are accessing it via an ad supported third party site..... so to use any pic with a creative commons license in a Wherigo (or on any other cache page) you are still going to need the explicit permission of the image owner.
    I've decided to create the images i'll be using with my wherigo rather than risk any complaints.

Deci
    I had initially contacted contacted sTeamTraen and had the response which has been posted. I eagerly look forward to their future application.

If you'd like the LUA source code for my wherigo (on the understanding that you won't attempt the cache and don't pass the code on to anyone else, since it contains the solution to the cache, of course) to help get you started, please PM your preferred email address to me.

Regards, Roderick
    Thanks Roderick, I really appreciate the offer. I will struggle by with the builder for now and see how I go. You can be my shoulder to cry on

Hi, this is somewhat off-topic but it might still be of interest if you're into Whereigo stuff. I've not tried Whereigo but I have constructed a GPSMission which is a similar idea and very easy to use. However it's designed for specific hardware so might not be appropriate.

As it's not a Groundspeak product it can't be mentioned "over there" but it seems to me to be the sort of thing that geocachers might like to try.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    Hi, this is somewhat off-topic but it might still be of interest if you're into Whereigo stuff. I've not tried Whereigo but I have constructed a GPSMission which is a similar idea and very easy to use. However it's designed for specific hardware so might not be appropriate.

As it's not a Groundspeak product it can't be mentioned "over there" but it seems to me to be the sort of thing that geocachers might like to try.
    Oooh something new, well new to me anyway. Will that work on my HP ipaq?

Edit: Answered my own question Will work on my phone but not my pda.
    Last edited by The Cache Hoppers; 17th February 2009 at 02:02 PM.

Hi,

Thanks

Kev
    Hi Kev,

As you know, I recently published a large Wherigo in Edinburgh. It is a huge amount of work to get to grips with the builder. By the time I had finished I had just about learned what you can do with it, but it was a steep learning curve. I needed hel then to make it compatible with other devices than a PPC.

There are some useful tutorial pages and a demo that you can download and try out to see what the code in the builder creates but as I can't post a link on this forum you'll have to email me if you're interested.

Firth of Forth, post something in the test forum, then you'll be up to five posts and you'll be able to post a link in here.

Links in posts from users with less than 5 posts get automatically trapped, and believe me we need that facility...! Ian's put some really good anti-spammer measures in place to try to keep would-be spammers out, but inevitably some still manage to slip through and sign up.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

The link that FoF was trying to post is here. I've retrieved it from the spam filter.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​