Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Laminated coin copies - or not?

Default Laminated coin copies - or not?

Hi Peeps,
    I've got a pair of UK Mega coins from last year, and got one coming from this year. I don't want to release them into the wild as I don't want to lose them. I considered sending out laminated copies but something about that doesn't feel right to me and I know some others disapprove of that practice, so I thought I might release s number of reguar TBs and attach a laminated copy of a mega coin to each one as a 'bonus' to anyone who wants the Mega coin icon.

What do you think?

I don't have any problem with laminated copies of coins, as the real things are just so stealable that I understand people doing that. I do agree though that some people feel slightly "cheated" on finding a copy instead of the actual coin.

Your suggestion sounds to me like a good one - one might say it's the best of both worlds!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

I released a laminated copy of one of our coins that had been stolen - coins are nearly all limited editions, so if their numbers in circulation decrease, so the chances of getting the icon on your profile decrease. Some people enjoy collecting the icons, so it just seems friendly to put out copies and share the icon, if the original has been stolen.

On the other hand, one cacher recently told me that they take and destroy laminated coin copies because they think it's cheating and cheapskate ("why don't they just buy another one?"). If you are circulating copies of your unreleased geocoin collection then I'd have some sympathy with this view: I have bought multiple coins, to release and to keep.

As usual it seems you can't please all of the people all of the time, so you'll have to expect a higher attrition rate on your laminated copies, but it's probably a good idea to state that it's a copy on the listing so people don't make a special effort to go to a particular cache expecting to find the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    ...one cacher recently told me that they take and destroy laminated coin copies because they think it's cheating and cheapskate ("why don't they just buy another one?")....

Perhaps the cacher in question would like to provide a more worthwhile public service and pay to replace people's stolen geocoins?

I'm sure that many of the owners of the 'inmates' of GCD653 would be more than happy to take him (or her) up on such an offer.....

I don't have any problem with cachers who send out laminate copies of their geocoins: I can understand their reluctance to free the original to travel, especially if it's a rather rare one, or they only have a few geocoins. However, as sandvika has mentioned, I think it's important that you ensure that other cachers realise it's a copy coin by adding 'COPY' or 'LAMINATE' to the name of the coin, so that it will be seen to be a copy when it's listed on the cache page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I don't have any problem with cachers who send out laminate copies of their geocoins: I can understand their reluctance to free the original to travel, especially if it's a rather rare one, or they only have a few geocoins. However, as sandvika has mentioned, I think it's important that you ensure that other cachers realise it's a copy coin by adding 'COPY' or 'LAMINATE' to the name of the coin, so that it will be seen to be a copy when it's listed on the cache page.
    Erm then you risk the coin being locked down by Groundspeak for abuse of the system. As you are just basically circulating the logging No. When a tracking No is purchased it's so that the physical coins movements can be tracked, not so that the tracking No's movements can be tracked.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    Erm then you risk the coin being locked down by Groundspeak for abuse of the system. As you are just basically circulating the logging No. When a tracking No is purchased it's so that the physical coins movements can be tracked, not so that the tracking No's movements can be tracked.

Deci
    Hmm.

That seems a little unfair when a TB comes with a copy tag that "works as a good backup if your original Travel Bug comes up missing"

https://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugfaq.aspx

beefy4605 Guest

As long as you make it clear that the item is a copy ( preferably by including the words laminate or copy) in the name most cachers shouldn't have a problem.I understand why you would do it - nobody wants to get a coin stolen especially a coin thats rare or means something special to the owner. I am also an icon hunter but when I single out a coin I want to see it in the "flesh " . So if I get to a cache expecting to find a nice shiney coin and find a poorly photocopied laminated picture of what might be a coin -I'll be less than impressed .If it's clear that it's a copy I can then decide wether or not I want to go looking.

nobbynobbs Guest

Go ahead and release the copy, at the ned of the day if some grump decides to destroy it because "it's a copy" the so what release another, it cost very very little. But if yo uget the real thing stolen then it's a real cost to replace.
    This is a hobby and in the current climate financially we all tighten our belts just a little more.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I've taken on board about making sure they're identified as copies on the web pages, so I'll get a few TBs together and set them off soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post

Deci
    I understand what you're saying here, Deci

but

my impression (from following this topic when it appears regularly over on the GSP Geocoin forum) is that GSP have locked geocoins and TBs where more than one of the same TB/geocoin is out in circulation (i.e. the original and a copy), or where an owner is simply circulating lists of their geocoin tracking numbers, or where an owner puts geocoin tracking numbers onto a cache listing for anyone to 'discover' their geocoin.

However, my impression* is that they are "tolerant" of paper/laminate/copy geocoins if it's the only one in circulation and the original is kept safely at home in the owner's collection.

*and that's all it is. I've never yet seen anyone report that their one and only copy geocoin has been locked by GSP, nor have I seen any statement from the Geocoin Forum Mod saying "these laminate copies of geocoins are not allowed".
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 9th March 2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: to improve my grammar for the evening :-)

I've seen many "disappointed" logs from people finding fake travellers like these, even when they're clearly marked as "copy" or whatever. I just ignore any I find in a cache and never "discover" them or move them on. My personal view on collecting the icon is that it's essential to have seen the item (NOT a photo of it!) in a cache, before the icon is valid. Of course, I don't care if others collect icons in any old way, but that's how I like to do it.

The main point of buying a geocoin or travel bug is to see how that actual physical item gets on in the real world on its mission (including how long it survives!). If it's too valuable to allow into general circulation, I'd advise simply keeping it at home. The other option is to place it in one of your own (safe) caches, with a request that it stays there (this has worked for some of mine, and there are caches with geocoins fixed to them so that they don't get accidentally moved on).

Mrs B summarises my thoughts quite well. I'd be very surprised if GSP took any action. After all, the coin owner has already paid GSP for the privilege of tracking the item number so GSP are not in danger of losing any revenue.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I understand what you're saying here, Deci

but

my impression (from following this topic when it appears regularly over on the GSP Geocoin forum) is that GSP have locked geocoins and TBs where more than one of the same TB/geocoin is out in circulation (i.e. the original and a copy)

I can only see this being a problem when a laminate is out in circulation, and the owner then takes their actual coin collection to an event for people to discover....

But...
    If the coin is only "Discovered" it's not here, then there, and back again in two places at the same time...

I can see a problem if the trackable is in a cache and elsewhere at the same time, or keeps going back and forth over hundreds, or thousands of miles.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    I can only see this being a problem when a laminate is out in circulation, and the owner then takes their actual coin collection to an event for people to discover....

For my particular case this wouldn't happen. I'm not really into doing the table full of coins/TBs things. If I see coins at an event I'll look and admire but I don't log them and I wouldn't be taking the real coins around events.

Wouldn't bother me if I found a laminated copy in a cache, I would move it on as I would an original.
    I am not into 'discovering' or writing down the lists as I am not too bothered about getting the hundreds of icons that some seem to want.
    I do like admiring nice coins or some of the more interesting TB's and will look through peoples collections but that's all, I just look, too much else to do at cache meets/events.

I've got a Trakabulldog in a cache - its real, but I specficially don't want it removed (it might make sense if you check my rather small collection - its not actually logged in the cache it is in). So i've put paper copies of the coin for finders to take away with the tracking number on them, to help them remember.

I can understand to some extent not wanting to lose you coin. But to be honest, I'd probably not notice a laminated coin, and assume it was another 'calling card'. If others are like me, then such a 'coin' isn't going to be moved as often.