Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Virgin Geo

TIG Guest

:huh:
    A stroll out with a purpose looks appealing hence Geocache as yet none attempted as it looked as if I need the right gear. As you see PC is available, joined the site, downloaded a couple of local caches to attempt, even purcheased a Garmin etrex which has issues yet to be discovered.
    No wish to be abrasive to members of our global village but UK replies may help as I thats where I live.
    Thank you Kouros,
    Midlands, Leicestershire to be exact.

Kouros Guest

Where abouts in the UK are you? There may well be someone on this board who could be willing to help...

TIG Guest

Being a new member on the block I have spent the past hour or so looking through a few posted items, some may say nosey and rightly so, a know nothing newcomer but there does appear to be few background issues within the association, growing pains???
    Perhaps time or sharp typing Geocachers will rebuke me, but thats is my perception.
    Again thanks Kurous for your help, todate I have managed to fathom a couple of the GPS issues and will go for the first cache attempt over the next few days, half term willing. Looking forward to it and may more.

Kouros Guest

Good for you! In all honesty, I think it's the best way - to try a cache first, and learn by your mistakes (if any). As for background issues and/or teething pains... find me any game/sport/organisation/business that doesn't, and I'll give you a free cup of tea and a cheese sandwich.

Paul G0TLG Guest

Originally posted by Kouros@Oct 20 2003, 09:37 PM
    As for background issues and/or teething pains... find me any game/sport/organisation/business that doesn't,
    I belong to an organisation that celebrated it's 50th anniversary last year, and still has teething troubles! Welcome to the game, Tig, get out there and have fun!

Remember...there are some people on here who seem like "not nice" people - my experience is, they're mainly nice people who don't express themselves very well!

(if that sounds patronising, I think I've just proved my own point&#33

Cache on...

Paul

TIG Guest

Kouros/Paul.
    Hand on Heart your correct but just 1st observations. More importantly have made my first find (Charnwood Beacon) at 17.10 this evening, broken the duck, GPS worked well after a little scratching of the head. The family and I set of with hope and determination after a search my wife made the call, which is good she was not quite behind the idea, now she is busy decoding a few clues ready for the next great test. Happy days, next is to get the dreaded teenage son interested, shouldnt be to difficult food is always a good bribe????
    Now expereancing a little trouble with registering the find with Stu and Sarah I cannot seem to be able to login to report, still i will sort it with time.
    As has been said Have fun and this looks like it certainly will be that.
    Many Thanks Tig.

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by TIG@Oct 21 2003, 09:03 PM
    More importantly have made my first find ....
    Hey, welcome to the club!

Mandatory rules for winter include spending hours getting wet and cold, cursing because the batteries in your GPS / Torch just ran out, and getting nagged at coz the cache took a lot longer to find than you thought.

But there IS also an UP side: if you define it as "a hobby" then you can spend as many ££ as you want without needing to justify any of it :-)

And always remember: it's HEALTHY to go caching, so you never need to feel guilty about going caching!!!!!!

paul

TIG Guest

Well up to number 4, no misses so far, many thanks to Kouros and the 2 pauls, value your comments and looking forward to a few hours in the cold and wet. Can,t be any worse than a day on Kinder Scott completing a round hike in Feb with the rain slammimg into your face the whole time, the plus side was a couple of beers in Edale afterward. Solved the registration problem by going on as Tig1. Tig

Teenage son problems, thats a easy one to solve ! Try what I did with my 13yr old, Drag him out with you, give him the GPSr and tell him to lead the way! When you get there see who finds it first. Mine is now hooked, when he's not busy with his other hobby. Oh and I ended up making him a walking pole out of a broom stick, because he kept nabbing mine. One other thing create his own account on GC.COM, so that he can log all his own finds seperatly from you, you'll find him wanting to go out even more then. Well thats what worked for me, now I've 2 happy faces when I mention going out (son and our caching mad poodle) .
    Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Just read this topic and I add my welcome to the obsession to TIG. Interested to see your first cache was Charnwood Beacon as it was mine too though it had a different name then. I presume you know of the event to be held there next August Bank Holiday - hope to see you there!
    Enjoy your caching!

TIG Guest

istead
    Unware of event next Aug Bank hol, however you have me hooked???
    Any chance of more info.
    Tig

This site will give you the information as and when it becomes available.
    Welcome to the wacky world of geocaching.
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.