Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Newbie say hi

Default Newbie say hi

hi there up until 2 days ago i had never heard of Geocaching.It came up in a conversation i was having at work. After hearing all about it i am now champing at the bit to get started.it sounds right up my street as an active metal detectorist i am always on the hunt and i like to hike also so the jump to Geocaching will be good. any advice would be welcome.:socool:

nobbynobbs Guest

Always good to see new addicts

not much advice needed really, get a simple hand held gps and then go for a few easy caches 1* difficulty and 1* terrain just to get used to using it and follow the arrow and instructions.

If there's an event near you soon then get to it as you'll be able to see all the various GPS' you can get and have a chat.:cheers:

Hope you enjoy it

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Welcome Tartan Tumchie (I had to look that up )

Hope you'll have some fun doing the hunting down of wild caches.

Just ask away for specific information as needed.

thanks for the welcome i do have a Gps it's a Garmen E trex H i will be out with it soon looking forward to it

Default newbie please be gentle

Hi all, another Jock joins the fold,I have a Cobra 100 gps and have spent the last 24 hrs struggling with the crap instructions however I am beginning to make sense of it now and have my first six searches programed in ready to start on my next day off.:cheers:
    Cheers Jim.:

Hi Tartan Tumchie,

Welcome to the addiction. You'll find some of your local cachers in the two Scottish forums, GeoXhttp://geox.easyphpbb.com/index.php or Geofrees http://geofrees.org/Forum/index.php.
    There is also a very large event coming up not far from you, the Lang spoon in Fife on April 3rd/4th/5th, see https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...a-8a396b36ff38
    Those fifers are an industrious bunch, they've placed about 200 caches just for the event.
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 14th March 2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Approved links by user with less than 5 posts

Welcome both! As nobbynobbs says, go for easy ones first until you get the hang of it. You'll soon be addicted... h34r:

And like Mrs B this Sassenach had to look up Tumchie too...!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

thanks for the tips :socool: i made my avatar a tumchie so you guys in the South dont have to go looking it up LOL.
    To find or not to find? That is the question

My advice to a newbie. Well, I'm a newbie also as only 122 caches under the belt.

Be aware of muggles and who is watching you and what you are doing. This is especially true when retrieving or putting back the cache container.

Have a quick check, make sure no one is watching and get the cache.
    Ho hum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Tumchie View Post
    thanks for the tips :socool: i made my avatar a tumchie so you guys in the South dont have to go looking it up LOL.
    Welcome Tartan Tumchie, I look forward to seeing some new caches pop up in your area. Happy cach'in :cheers:
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk