Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Discussion on changes to our constitution and our name

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Discussion on changes to our constitution and our name

In our new GAGB Members Only forums, we're discussing a draft for major changes to our constitution, and a possible change of the name of our Association.

Any Members who weren't aware of that might like to take a look. If you're not a Member, only a Forum User, but would like to have a say in the running of the Association you might wish to join as a Member.

You can join, and also check whether you're a current Member (Membership now has to be renewed annually) and renew if necessary here.

Queries regarding membership status should be directed here: http://forums.gagb.org.uk/showthread.php?t=1845 [Edit by StuartP in an attempt to keep things on-track an to prevent thread forking]
    Last edited by StuartP; 26th March 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added location for membership queries.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

beefy4605 Guest

Default Discussion on changes to our constitution and our name

As the other thread has gotten clogged up with requests to check the members list I'd like to ask a few questions about the name change here .

[Post's copied to original thread to try and keep discussions together. - StuartP]

1- How many members are there in Northern Ireland /Ireland ?

2-How many of these members have specificaly asked GAGB to represent them when gaining access agreements to land in Northern Ireland / Ireland?

3- How many "paid up members " do you represent in the UK?

These are similar questions to the ones I asked in the GeoX forum but rather than clog up their forum I thought I'd come here and ask.
    Last edited by StuartP; 26th March 2009 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beefy4605 View Post
    As the other thread has gotten clogged up with requests to check the members list I'd like to ask a few questions about the name change here .

1- How many members are there in Northern Ireland /Ireland ?

2-How many of these members have specificaly asked GAGB to represent them when gaining access agreements to land in Northern Ireland / Ireland?

3- How many "paid up members " do you represent in the UK?

These are similar questions to the ones I asked in the GeoX forum but rather than clog up their forum I thought I'd come here and ask.
    Your first two questions are good ones, but I'm afraid I can't really answer them.

There's a facility in the admin control panel to search by location, but of course it only searches for what people have entered as their location. I've searched for "Northern Ireland" and "Ulster" and that's only given four results, but of course if for example someone has left the location field blank (which is very common) or has entered, say "Belfast" then they're not going to show up.

One actual example is Wildlifewriter, admin at Geox which you've mentioned, as you may know. He is a member of GAGB and I know he's in Northern Ireland, but like many people he's left the location box empty in his profile.

As to your second question, I can't answer that either. Some people ask for help through the forums, but we don't keep records of who is from where. Some email the committee - individual committee members reply, and I very much doubt they've all kept every GAGB email they've received so I see no point in asking them. Some who want help approach individual committee members directly, and of course there'll be no records of those either.

Your third question is easy though - our GAGB Membership database contains coming up to 500 members. The most recent figure I saw was 468.

I'm sorry I can't give a better answer than that.

Further to what I said in my last post, I've just searched by location for "England" (7 results), Scotland (6 results) and Wales ((9 results).

Taken together with the 4 for Northern Ireland/Ulster, just 26 members out of nearly 500 have entered their country in the location field of their profile.

There is now a poll in the Members' Only area where GAGB Members can vote on their preference for the name of our Association.

The poll on our name closed earlier today, and the clear winner is "No Change (Geocaching Association of Great Britain)". Thus we shall be keeping our existing name.