Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: A pity...

Default A pity...

I know that it's against guidelines and all that, but there's surely room for the occasional exception, isn't there? Or is this now some sort of professional sport where you get pilloried for not taking it seriously enough?

The reviewer entered into the spirit, but if you don't enjoy a cache isn't it better to simply keep it between you and the cache owner rather than spoiling it for people that might just enjoy having a wry smile?

Caching is a serious business and we should all learn a lesson from this cache.

Those poor children will require many therapy sessions when they are older because of the trauma their parents put them through h34r:

I have to agree, it would be a shame to loose this classic cache. Though I do feel it has now been somewhat spolied.

Nice to see the cache is back up and running
    Last edited by Mongoose39uk; 20th March 2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Update.

I've just had a close look at this cache listing.

After reading back through the entertaining logs I've learnt a lot. It's obviously a very venerable tree and I'm sorely tempted to pop up to Perth in a few days time specially to log it.

Looks like some cachers have had a serious sense of humour failure

I could be way off target here as I don't know what the joke is, and the cache is far too far from me to go along and find out.

But it seems to me that a lot of cachers have enjoyed the cache, even if some haven't, and we can't expect to enjoy every cache we go for, so I think that a polite note that they were disappointed by that one would have sufficed.

Given that the reviewers are in the know about this one, and that there are a lot of positive logs, then unless I'm missing something big I see no reason why this one should be archived.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

A little birdie has given me a hint and I've now worked it out. I think it's extremely clever and should certainly be allowed to remain!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    A little birdie has given me a hint and I've now worked it out. I think it's extremely clever and should certainly be allowed to remain!
    Care to share Bill :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by matrix View Post
    Care to share Bill :cheers:
    Mike, I'll PM you shortly.

Oh dear it has all hit the fan again

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    Oh dear it has all hit the fan again
    Hmm, I see what you mean. But some more logs have now been deleted, Deci's posted a reviewer note to ask people to take the discussion elsewhere, and I've now posted a note with a link to this thread.

I for one am intrigued will be driving past Perth later in year will now have to call in and check it out

If anyone wants to join me and Dave (agrajag) on our return visit, please let us know. Thread running on SECaching. Liane

The cache owner has posted again, and Alba15 (Scottish reviewer) has replied saying that if he continues his attacks she'll have no option but to report him to GSP, and he could be banned. Hopefully that'll put a stop to it. Both logs have now been deleted.

Edit: But see my post below.
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 20th March 2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: As above

My apologies to Carol (Alba15). She didn't post that on the cache page, she sent him a private message and he himself posted it on there. Deci saw it, and (quite rightly in my opinion) deleted it.

If you look at the guy's profile you'll find that he hasn't been caching since July 2007, yet he's still pursuing this! Sad or what!

The cache has changed from trad to puzzle (don't know when though), and it's status has been changed to MO (don't know when that happened either)?
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jacobite View Post
    The cache has changed from trad to puzzle (don't know when though), and it's status has been changed to MO (don't know when that happened either)?
    I can understand PP's reasons for doing that (assuming she's done it herself) but I think it's a great shame that one person who apparently has a big grievance is able to cause so much fuss about what seems to me to be a really fun cache.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobite View Post
    The cache has changed from trad to puzzle ...
    Probably a good idea. I can't help thinking all this aggro would have been avoided if it had been made a puzzle cache from the start.

Rgds, Andy

The problem now is that (IMO) the original idea has been rather watered down and the "fun" part lost (to those of us that regard this sort of thing as fun).
    Last edited by Happy Humphrey; 23rd March 2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Removed "spoiler" text.

Now that the cache has been made Members Only, and changed to a mystery/unknown/puzzle, PP has asked if people who have posted on the cache page about the "dispute" would please edit or remove their logs as appropriate, as they may not now make sense.

If you're not a Premium or Charter member but have posted a log that you want to edit or remove, please contact PP and I think she'll be happy to temporarily open the cache to all so that you can do that.

I've removed my own log on the cache page.

Could I ask people not to make any reference to what it actually is that's strange about that cache? I think it's a great idea, and it would be good not to have spoilers posted here. Many thanks!

I'd had this favourite cache of mine on my watch list since finding it, to enjoy the subsequent logs of others. However it appears I recently removed it from the watch list, surely by accident, so all the various deleted messages have passed me by.

However, one previous DNF in particular that was rather unlike the rest has now gone, so I can pretty much guess the rest.

It would be nice if the recent notes on the cache page could be removed to restore the great spirit that this cache has, but aside from that, long live this cache! :cheers:

kewfriend Guest

I enclose this cutting from the Crawley local government website.

Tilgate Park is seen as the "jewel in the crown" of Crawley’s parks and open spaces. A strong element of the park’s make-up is the range of specimen trees that were planted by previous landowners in centuries past (a practice which has continued to the present day). Many of these trees are not only fine specimens, but are also rare examples of lesser known species.

Apollo Fir

Abies cephalonica var. Apollinis

This tree, which was planted in 1876, is believed to be the oldest specimen of its kind outside of its native Greece. It has a damaged top which hopefully will regenerate

Despite having this information I recorded at least one, possibly two DNFs before I finally found the Perth specimen. As is usually the case with 'obvious' caches, i couldn't see the wood for the trees: so to speak. And now I have looked back, I cannot find my DNFs, surely I didn't lie about my incompetence???
    Last edited by kewfriend; 25th March 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: cannot find my DNFs

Talking

Hi everyone,

I thought It must be time to thank you all for your kind support, and for all your lovely logs on this cache.

I am still chuckling my way through my emails.

Thanks to everyone for your sense of humour.

:cheers::cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by perth pathfinders View Post
    Hi everyone,

I thought It must be time to thank you all for your kind support, and for all your lovely logs on this cache.

I am still chuckling my way through my emails.

Thanks to everyone for your sense of humour.

:cheers::cheers:
    And thank you as well, Sue, for keeping a truly marvellous cache alive! :socool:

I'm watching the cache, and very much enjoying the logs too...!

It's ironic that a certain cacher's comments have served to advertise the cache so widely. Shame that there was a dearth of pics from the site today due to a quite incredible sequence of photographic mishaps!

In my hurry to catch the flight back, it looks like I left a couple of items behind. I'm not sure whether I should say what they are...

I hope that someone picks them up and (erm) finds a use for them!

I couldn't resist

And I got told off for doing it h34r: