Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: one out of two

Default one out of two

hi guys just like to let you know i got my first cache today
    I went for 2 caches but the first had a very grumpy farmer in the field i had to skirt around so i left that one for another day. Lol
    The second one took me a while to find but i had Mrs tumchie and and my 14 year old son wee spud looking as well i found it tucked away in a crackin wee hidey hole :socool:. they were local caches not far from home.
    a nice walk with some stunning views.
    To find or not to find? That is the question

nobbynobbs Guest

and so begins another addict. Just one more cache then I can stop.... :lol:

their is always room for one more !!! lol

The close to home DNF's are a little more bearable, as you at least have a chance to go back another time to find them...

It's the b*ggers hundreds of miles away that bug me, with little or no chance of a return visit! :lol:
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Well done the obsession has to start somewhere :cheers:

DNF's are supposed to be good for the soul ...........

NOT

Well done, TT

You'll find your 'cacher's eye' will improve as you find more and more and as you approach the spot you'll be thinking, "Now where would I hide a cache here?"

Welcome to the game!

And I hope you're not allergic to ivy - I am...! h34r:

And if you don't know why I've said that, you'll soon find out...!

Happy caching!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Tumchie View Post
    their is always room for one more !!! lol
    If you nose runs and your feet smell you are built upside down

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard, watch out for the ticks ...hmmm.... are there ticks in the UK? If so watch out for those nasty little ******s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    The close to home DNF's are a little more bearable, as you at least have a chance to go back another time to find them...

It's the b*ggers hundreds of miles away that bug me, with little or no chance of a return visit! :lol:

Hear hear.... it really niggles to get them so far away - like an itch you can't scratch
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Tartan Tumchie, if you want to meet some cachers locally then most will be at the Langspoon event in Glenrothes on 3/4/5th April. They're a friendly bunch so go and say hi (I'll be there Friday night:socool. The new cache count is over 300 now, so its a cachers bonanza!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DruidsDream View Post
    Welcome aboard, watch out for the ticks ...hmmm.... are there ticks in the UK? If so watch out for those nasty little ******s.
    There are lots of ticks in the UK, and their population is growing.
    Its got so bad in some parts of Scotland that I've started leaving tick removers in caches as you're almost guaranteed to have some on you by the time you reach the cache.:

Quote Originally Posted by JackieC View Post
    Tartan Tumchie, if you want to meet some cachers locally then most will be at the Langspoon event in Glenrothes on 3/4/5th April. They're a friendly bunch so go and say hi (I'll be there Friday night:socool. The new cache count is over 300 now, so its a cachers bonanza!!!

There are lots of ticks in the UK, and their population is growing.
    Its got so bad in some parts of Scotland that I've started leaving tick removers in caches as you're almost guaranteed to have some on you by the time you reach the cache.:
    Hmm, is the problem worse in the north of this island than in the south, I wonder? I'm not very active now due to ill health, but in all the caching I've done and all the long walks I used to go on I never once got a tick.

And years ago, before I discovered caching, I had a dog for ten years. I took her for many long walks in the sort of areas where one might expect ticks, and to the best of my knowledge she only ever got one, on her forehead, and that dropped off of its own accord!

What are others' experiences?

I've never seen one in many years of tramping the moors all over the UK and IOM.
    When Mark and Lynn came to the IOM they asked whether there was a tick problem here, and I said "no". Of course, the first day caching here and their kids were picking them up all the time. I don't think ticks like me. Midges don't bite me (much) either. I feel really left out.

I got a tick while caching up in the Highlands a while back, after wading through chest high ferns to get to a cache. I hate ticks, so I do a full check for the little ******s when I get in from walks in the Highlands. It's not just the fact that they're sucking your blood, but the possibility of illness (such as Lyme Disease) that worries me.

Sorry for hijacking your thread TT! I'm glad that you liked your first cache, and I hope that there are many more to come for you.

Quote Originally Posted by arock&ahardplace View Post
    Sorry for hijacking your thread TT! I'm glad that you liked your first cache, and I hope that there are many more to come for you.
    Thats ok
    i'll try and get to the Langspoon event :socool:

i'm sure there will be plenty of caches to come there is one on my way to work, so i've planned to work sat morning to nab it as i will have no one in the van. LOL then i'll be out in the afternoon on the hunt.

Do farmers dip sheep any more cause that used to keep the tick population down???

Thats ok
    i'll try and get to the Langspoon event :socool:

i'm sure there will be plenty of caches to come there is one on my way to work, so i've planned to work sat morning to nab it as i will have no one in the van. LOL then i'll be out in the afternoon on the hunt.
    Sorry about going off on a tangent Tartan Tumchie, hope to see you at the 'spoon if you make it on Friday. Otherwise I might see you at the Bar-b-que on the Hill on 3rd May, if you can make that one.

Happy caching! :cheers:

Do farmers dip sheep any more cause that used to keep the tick population down???
    Yes and No. Dipping is no longer compulsory (Health and Safety issues) and the farmers who do dip have to be trained and have a certificate of competence. Most farms use pour on products on the sheep which are just as effective but safer for both the farmer and environment.

The biggest reservoir of ticks in Scotland is the ever increasing deer population. h34r: That and the warmer winters (I think).

Last year on the Isle of Arran I aquired 2 babies and 3 adult ticks doing one cache (Arran Industries - Barytes). Spookily enough the dogs escaped without a single one all holiday (woo! Frontline!!! :socool

the isle of Arran is my second home been going there for over 20 years for holidays and short stays.
    my mother-in-law has a house in Lamlash now i've got the caching bug i'll be going for some when i'm over at Easter. done a fair bit of walking there but i've never had ticks in fact i've did a fair bit of walking around Scotland and never had any. Not that i want them mind you LOL
    Last edited by Tartan Tumchie; 24th March 2009 at 08:15 PM.

There are some excellent caches on Arran, Jango & Boba Fett have done an excellent job at populating the entire island. In fact there are 5 new ones appeared last week, you could get some 'first to finds' while you're over there.

We're off to try to finish the Arran Industries series soon (20th April) its our third holiday attempt at it (and hopefully the last!). If you're over that week let us know and we can meet up if you like. :cheers:

i can think of a few places that would be great for a cache ( if they have not already been done ) i'm over on the 11th so i'll be getting started as soon as i get off the ferry.LOL

i can think of a few places that would be great for a cache ( if they have not already been done ) i'm over on the 11th so i'll be getting started as soon as i get off the ferry.LOL
    If you submit a cache to gc.com outside "your usual caching area" then a reviewer will want proof that you're able to visit it regularly to maintain it when necessary. However, if you log a few caches over there before submitting yours then that shouldn't be a problem.

i wont be submitting any caches until i get a few under my belt.but i'm over on Arran all the time so maintaining a cache isn't a problem. got my second one today by the way LOL