Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Which GPS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Which GPS

A very common question I suspect! Which GPS system should I buy? Retiring soon hopefully with a nice retirement present (or a voucher!) New to geocaching, used to using maps and compasses. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Cherianda; 22nd March 2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

What are you after?
    Plain and simple, all singing and dancing, or somewhere in between?
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Having used an eTrx Legend HCX for some time with a PDA to carry the notes, hints and Memory Map, I like the eTrex range.
    I have had the use of a Colorado and although it is handy to have all the notes on one unit I was not that impressed for the ££money££.
    The eTrex Legend HCx or Vista HCx is my suggestion.

Can recommend the Garmin Vista HCx.

I've had it for a couple of months now and it's great for the price. And if you use POI's for caches (see tread on POI) then you can have all the cache info short of the textual description.
    A cache a day ..

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cherianda View Post
    A very common question I suspect! Which GPS system should I buy? Retiring soon hopefully with a nice retirement present (or a voucher!) New to geocaching, used to using maps and compasses. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the replies i am looking at something mid range in price for geocaching

Legend HCx available for £128.99 + p&p on EBay, quite a good price.

Question GPS choices

I have just been reading up about the Satmap Active 10! yes i know it is expensive but it does use OS maps. Is it much use for geocaching and will it negate the need for a PDA !

zwei ormers Guest

For what it's worth I bought myself a Vista HCx recently and am pretty pleased with it. I've had a Garmin chartplotter on my boat for the past 5 years which is excellent, and the Vista seems to be just as good so far. The Garmin website has a very useful comparison facility, I bought the vista for the electronic compass and altimeter functions. I wouldn't bother getting a GPS because it comes with a 'free' memory card unless it's the same price as a model without - 2Gb memory cards can be had for under a fiver!

Bodkin76 Guest

Sorry to jump in, but I am trying to decide which GPS to get as a new starter, I am only looking for a budget modee which will allow me to take the kids geocaching. I have narrowed it down to two; the eTrex Venture HC or the eTrex H, the venture says it is Geocaching ready but the H is not.....what is the difference? Help please....:wacko:!
    Last edited by Bodkin76; 12th April 2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

zwei ormers Guest

I think the 'geocaching ready' bit means that you get the option to hunt for the nearest cache, and that you get special icons.
    Download the user manual off the garmin site to see the differences.

Default gps choice

Quote Originally Posted by zwei ormers View Post
    I think the 'geocaching ready' bit means that you get the option to hunt for the nearest cache, and that you get special icons.
    Download the user manual off the garmin site to see the differences.
    thats 100% correct,venture HC owner.
    Cheers Jim.:

forestferret Guest

ok here goes i started out last nov using a vista hcx
    it comes ready to use for geocaching all you have to do is click the send to gps button on the cache page and it sends the cache name and position but that is it
    still it was very easy to use and great for a beginner like me
    but if like me you like to pour over maps etc i was very dissapointed in the maps that came with it lots of info was missing and even after i forked out for the gb topo map i was still very dissapointed almost felt ripped off !!!!

a few weeks ago i upgraded to a satmap active 10 wtch has full os maps the detail on the base maps was so much better than the garmin maps
    now that all the firmware up grades and the satsyc software has been upgraded it is easy to import the gpx files and i have had no trouble at all doing so
    plus with the gpx file you get everything the description the hints if you want to the last 4 logs i think the term is paperless caching

took it out for a road test at corley couple if weeks ago
    it found a sat lock very quick and held its lock all day was very accurate and once you get used to operation and reading the info on screen it became very easy

all in all im over the moon with this unit and i will be using it for many years to come
    personnaly i recommend if you buget can reach it the satmap active ten

hope this helps oin you desion and sorry for any spelling mistakes i work nights and just finnished a 12 hour shift :wacko:

regards
    Darren
    Last edited by forestferret; 6th June 2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: better punctation easyer to read

Red face Which GPS - Garmin Geko 201

Hi everyone

I'm a very new member of the forum and this is my first post.:cheers:

I have just changed (upgraded would be too strong a word) from my Eagle Expedition II to a Garmin Geko 201.

I was delighted with my Expedition II' s performance and often found it accurate to withing a couple of feet - but it was clunky, big, bulky and awkward - and it ate batteries - 4 x AA at a time. I still have it and use it as backup when I'm not totally confident of the Garmin and need a second opinion - up to now it has always agreed with the Geko !!

I am very pleased with my first two weeks use of the Geko and have just ordered a USB cable for data transfer - not from Garmin, but for half the price from an eBay shop.

The Geko is definitely much easier to use, fewer screens hence less confusion and, now I'm familiar with it, easier to upload co-ordinates.

My wife found it just before my birthday in Lidl for £69.99 which is significantly less that, say, Amazon, were selling it at.

Value for money - EXCELLENT
    Performance - EXCELLENT
    Caching friendly - DEFFFO
    Can upload co-ordinates from PC - YES

Other advantages- can easily pretend it's a mobile phone when muggles are about
    Fits in trouser pocket
    Doesn't eat batteries - am still using same set as when purchased
    Child friendly due to size and build quality
    Waterproof
    Logical keystrokes once you've learned the system

DISADVANTAGES
    Mine does not like tree cover - AT ALL !
    Looks a bit "girly" unlike my very butch Expedition II (lol)
    Can take a while to acquire satellites - despite claims to the contrary, it's slower than my old Exped II

Overall opinion - go for the "new" (i.e. with data transfer port) Geko 201 if on a budget - I have no serious complaints at all (but have never had a £300 model to assess it against - perhaps if someone would lend me one ....)

Best rgds
    John B

Smile What GPS

Thanks for all the advice, I bought the etrex vista hcx and found it very good!