Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Help needed Please about Garmin Oregon 400

Default Help needed Please about Garmin Oregon 400

Hi I am new to Geocaching and wondered if someone could please tell me is there a way of deleting your found caches off of an Oregon 400. Dont seem to be able to see a way to do it surely they dont have to stay forever on the card.
    I have a 2gb card in it.
    Hope someone can please help.
    Thanks.
    Sylv

Hi, you are not able to delete (or modify) geocaches as such from your oregon on the go (unlike waypoints).

You have to do this via your PC. The geocaches themselves should be located as a .GPX file in the Garmin\GPX directory of the oregon.

If you want to remove found caches, you need to remove the GPX file in question and then replace with another; you can do this either by running a query excluding finds from the gc.com website (assuming this is your usual source) or by filtering an offline database such as GSAK and then exporting the file.

The other 'finds' record on the oregon is held in the garmin directory - geocache_visits. This is a text file and is used to upload field notes to gc.com directly. This can be opened with a text editor and the contents deleted as required.

You may find this website of some use http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching.

Took me a while to get the hang but v happy with ours.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by adsandco; 6th April 2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Approved link from user with less than 5 posts

Many thanks for the info. Will try and do as you say.

Thanks again
    Sylv

GSAK can do this for you automatically each time you send new data to the unit.

GSAK is brill!

Thanks will get hubby to look at it.
    We are new to this and it is a learning curb for us.

Sylv