Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Multi or series or hybrid or what?!

zwei ormers Guest

Default Multi or series or hybrid or what?!

Right,
    I have had a great idea for a multi-cache/series but am not sure how to go about it. I want to place around 9 or 10 caches around the island here, with a 'final' cache discoverable by collating information from all the others. Now I could set them as a multicache with each stage directing you to the next, but the stages are miles apart in some cases which isn't really in the spirit of a multicache as far as I can tell, nor would you be able to do them in the same day. I would like to set them as individuals as they do merit being done as an individual cache in their own right, but then how do I submit the final cache without a 'location'?
    I admit I am relatively inexperienced having not done any caching off-island, but I love my island and want to show it off to visitors (and a lot of locals alike).
    Any ideas?

Simply Paul Guest

It's all very simple really. A multi-cache is self-contained; what you're talking about is a collection of traditional caches (I assume; of course, they could be all sorts) leading to a bonus final cache. List it as a '?' cache - aka Unknown/Puzzle/Mystery. You can give 'fake' co-ords for it anything up to 2 miles away from the real ones, and include the correct ones as a hidden additional waypoint so the reviewer knows it's not too close (0.1miles, usually) from any other physical element of a cache.

Wanting to show visitors the beautiful, hidden spots of your island is *exactly* what caching is all about for me, so well done and good luck with it! I was last on Guernsey long before I discovered caching -before it started, even- and it's a perfect location for caching. The paths above Petite Bot bay spring to mind at once...

SP
    Last edited by Simply Paul; 7th April 2009 at 07:59 PM.

I agree with SP.

I did wonder whether the new GC rules about additional logging requirements might be a problem, as this has been discussed in various forums. But on looking back through, I think the only problem is with a series which not only provides necessary information to find the bonus cache, but requires problem solving as well to get the co-ords of the bonus cache.

The changes are here.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's take on whether or not the changes might affect series like these, as some of what's been said is not at all clear and sometimes contradictory.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

keehotee Guest

From what I understand of the new guidelines they would not affect this at all - but only apply to the additional tasks you might be asked to complete in order to log online - anything up to and including signing the physical log is not an "additional logging requirement", whether it's completing a series to gain numbers, collecting clues, or performing a physical challenge to get in a position to sign the log in the first place....

Place the series as trads, and the final as a mystery

Oh - and look out for the new guideline that expressly prohibits nanos and micros placed anywhere further than 10 metres from a public road lol

Paul and Keehotee have answered well, so this is just to fill in a little more detail.

The usual convention is to include some sort of code or numbering system inside the series of caches. Once you've collected all the codes or numbers you'll use them to calculate the location of the "bonus" (mystery) cache.

A tip; don't use numbers which directly give the coordinates of the Bonus. Use a "code" system; for instance, put a letter (A-Z) on the front of the log book of each cache. Once you've collected all the letters, you'll have two words (they can be anything you like). In the description of the Bonus cache, give a table of words with coordinates associated; one word gives the West part, the other the North part. Include about ten of each, otherwise people will attempt to guess the location by checking combinations of coordinates. Most of the words are similar but NOT EXACTLY the ones from the caches, and these incorrect ones have similar but incorrect coordinates. Once the cacher has the correct words he'll be able to look up the Bonus coordinates. Sounds complicated, but in practice it is simple - honest! It has the advantage that if a cache or two can't be found the Bonus can still be located, as the missing letters will be guessable. But the real advantage is, should you need to move the bonus cache you only need to update the description, not revisit every cache in the series and amend the numbers!

As far as the change to the ALR guidelines is concerned, as Keehotee said, it shouldn't affect this type of series at all.
    A question could arise if you decided to set up the Bonus cache with the coordinates of the actual box, but stipulated that the whole series had to be logged before you're allowed to log the Bonus. Then you'd have to convince the reviewer that it's a "challenge" cache. And you wouldn't be able to (I strongly suspect) so you'd have to allow people to log the Bonus without proving that they'd completed the series. But I'm sure you won't set it up like that as it's a lame idea!

zwei ormers Guest

Thanks for that guys :cheers: - a series of trads (maybe the odd micro depending on hideability, but I don't really want to go down that route) and a mystery is the way forward as you suggested. I like HH's code idea as it easily gets round the ALR changes. I might just have the 'letters on the logbook' idea tallying up with numbers and let the cacher rearrange them into potential locations - if they don't have all the series then they won't get the bonus. :-). Missing/muggled caches shouldn't be a problem given the locations, and I really do want the cachers to have done every one in the series to get the bonus - for a start I'm going to put good things in the bonus instead of the usual cracker toys!:socool:
    There's currently only one mutlicache here (a nice offset) and no 'mystery's, so hopefully I can raise the game a little and give visiting cachers something a bit more interesting than a cache with a view.
    By the way, I have access to our local land ownership database and GPS driven digital mapping system so can help anyone who wishes to place (or review) a cache.

Quote Originally Posted by zwei ormers View Post
    Missing/muggled caches shouldn't be a problem given the locations, and I really do want the cachers to have done every one in the series to get the bonus - for a start I'm going to put good things in the bonus instead of the usual cracker toys!:socool:
    You might be correct, but you'd be surprised at the obscure, out of the way and well-hidden caches which have nevertheless been muggled. Either that, or some sloppy cacher has replaced the cache in a slightly different position, then another one has moved it where they thought it should have been... And don't underestimate how difficult an easy cache can become when a cacher gets one of those temporary cache-blindness moments! All I'm saying is, allow people to get to the bonus even if they missed one or two on the way. Most try and log the whole series anyway, even if they don't need to for the bonus.

But it sounds like it'll become a great series which should attract a few more geocachers to the island.
    Last edited by Happy Humphrey; 7th April 2009 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    You might be correct, but you'd be surprised at the obscure, out of the way and well-hidden caches which have nevertheless been muggled. Either that, or some sloppy cacher has replaced the cache in a slightly different position, then another one has moved it where they thought it should have been... And don't underestimate how difficult an easy cache can become when a cacher gets one of those temporary cache-blindness moments! All I'm saying is, allow people to get to the bonus even if they missed one or two on the way. Most try and log the whole series anyway, even if they don't need to for the bonus.

But it sounds like it'll become a great series which should attract a few more geocachers to the island.
    I've got a similar setup with 15 caches on a 6 mile circular walk with a code symbol in each cache.
    The finder then 'decodes' the characters to obtain the final. The final can be found with a bit of guess work if you have one or two missing though.

But on the subject of misplaced caches .... After 8 weeks I needed to visit some of the caches to replace log books due to more cachers doing the series that I expected.... Out of the 15 caches - 8 of them were not where I had placed them. hmy:... so as HH says be warned.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

A method that I have used to get around the problem of a cache in the series being unavailable is to have a number in the log book (or on container), but to also provide an alternative method of obtaining the number from a fixed (hopefully!!) item in the environment i.e. how many horizontal bars on the gate?