Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A radical proposal

The Hornet Guest

There seems to have been some discussion about the validity of the current election process

How about this as a way round the arguments. I know it's not strictly in line with the original, agreed process but it could be a small price to pay for peace and quiet.

Now that Tim has resigned from the chair we are looking for a total of 6 people to run the shop. Including already elected members we have 8 people willing to devote their time and effort to GAGB. How's about we have ALL EIGHT of them and dispense with the elections all together?

They would be totally responsible for choosing a chairman from amongst themselves.

So we have 8 rather than 6 but, what the hell! Surely it's better than what we have at the moment.

I suggest that we DON'T hold a poll on this suggestion, rather general consensus of the replies will determine its outcome.

Comments?....................................

sockpuppet Guest

Originally posted by The Hornet@Nov 1 2003, 09:09 PM
    There seems to have been some discussion about the validity of the current election process

How about this as a way round the arguments. I know it's not strictly in line with the original, agreed process but it could be a small price to pay for peace and quiet.

Now that Tim has resigned from the chair we are looking for a total of 6 people to run the shop. Including already elected members we have 8 people willing to devote their time and effort to GAGB. How's about we have ALL EIGHT of them and dispense with the elections all together?

They would be totally responsible for choosing a chairman from amongst themselves.

So we have 8 rather than 6 but, what the hell! Surely it's better than what we have at the moment.

I suggest that we DON'T hold a poll on this suggestion, rather general consensus of the replies will determine its outcome.

Comments?....................................
    Most sensible thing I ever heard on here

Wood Smoke Guest

Got my vote :-)

WoodSmoke

Speaking personally, I'd be happy with this approach - in fact it would enhance the committee and eradicate the suggestions of unfairness. I just hope that one of the eight will be willing to take on the Chair

Chris n Maria Guest

Oh yes please - great idea.

OK.. I'll go along with that if Tim does.. I's his bandwidth..

But one point .. there were actually 9 on original poll..

Kouros, Lost in Space, MCL, Paul Blitz, Pharisee, Team Paradise, Team Tate, Teasel, The Wombles.

If they are still willing.!!!

But only on condition that they acept the position.. Then chair to be appointed by the committee with no outside interferance from ANYONE..

We all know of the old boy network.. What I would like to see is that the committee can put there hand on heart and say " I will do this for GAGB" not an affiliated friend etc.

When I/we set out on this, what seems a long long long road, I had a vision of a group standing for all in cacheing in the UK.. and what happened.. we have degenerated into infighting, sock puppets and basically making those we wish to attract turn away.

Yes.. I'm as guilty as the next man.. but I will say one thing.. Tim is the most honrouble person amongst us.. backed up by one hell of a lady.. and any one who tries to bring that into doubt will have moi to answer to.

Now.. can we do what we are here to to.. get GAGB noticed for all the right reasons..

If your a sock puppet .. sod off.. your not wanted or welcome and I'll do as suggested in another thread and pull yer plug.

If yer a troll.. hope it's under a bridge in the Cheviots.. cos yer will be part of the foundation.. thats what happens to stiffs.

Now let us all applaude the new committee.. voted for or otherwise.. ( poor ******s) and go fer them there hill.. if it has a box.. then all the better..

Moss has spoken.. (didn't realise was that many words in dictionary)
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

I'd be happy with this. I'd also be happy with sticking to the election results. I just want to see a committee in place and left to get on with things.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Excellent idea. And I would hope that Pharisee would be included.

He is probably the only candidate in the whole shooting match who has the confidence and respect of all concerned.

As GAGB has no constitution at the moment, I can't see any reason at all why this proposal to vary the previously agreed procedures cannot be put to the membership (socks and all) for a vote.

If this proposal is accepted, I for one am prepared to put all behind me, bury the hatchet and support the furtherance of the aims of the association. Provided of course that those who have so vociferously attacked me in the past couple of days are prepared at publicly acknowledge these FACTS

a ) Muggle is not Piggly and Piggly is not Muggle.
    and that
    b ) Muggle (aka Slytherin on G:COM) has never used any sock puppet accounts to post on the GAGB forums and has not voted in GAGB elections under any other name.

You may have suspected or been told otherwise, but it is not true.

OK, Moss Trooper, now it's your turn to put up or shut up!!!
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

We will go along with that suggestion.

But please please stop all the bickering, you are behaving like 5 year olds and not as we assume you to be adults.

All of you stop it NOW before you do any more damage to the good name of the GAGB and of Geocaching in general.

Happy Caching

Best Idea since sliced bread it's the way to go

Mel & Barbara
    Geocachers do it by Degrees

The Hornet Guest

I know this particular discussion topic hasn't been running long but from the replies so far there seems to be approval for the idea in principle. I can't see that that changing very much even if the debate continues for days.

I didn't include John (Pharisee) as he had previously indicated that he wouldn't be standing.

So Mr/Mrs Admin, how about a short, sharp poll on my proposal. Something along the lines of: "All previous polls for committee/chairman be declared null and void. The proposal is that Kouros, Lost in Space, MCL, Paul Blitz, Team Paradise, Team Tate, Teasel, The Wombles be invited to form the committee for GAGB and once elected they shall choose a Chairman from amongst their number. Do you agree - Yes or No"

I also suggest that this poll should last no longer than one week and that any votes cast after an agreed cutoff time as defined by the server clock shall not be counted. I realise one week isn't long and some people who are away might be disenfranchised but this is less of a problem than lengthy "discussion".

As far as sock puppets are concerned, I guess a number might vote but I would ask their "alter egos" to do the decent thing and refrain from using them to distort the figures. Some will and some won't but I reckon overall I reckon the majority view will probably prevail.

Omally Guest

Gets my vote. The suggestion is not unreasonable in the least.
    I think this could well be our last chance to show we can act like grown-ups, but it may already be too late. Really, first and foremost and before we can prove it to anyone else*, we need to prove to ourselves that there is an element of common sense among us. Trouble is, that seed is buried exceedingly deep and certainly very well mulched... for those of you not of a metaphorical mind, I simply mean there is far too much crap covering up the whole purpose of the GAGB.

I'm inclined to agree with TnJ and The Wombles: it's over. A great idea but sadly pulled apart by those who sought to destroy it, whether intentionally or through sheer ignorance. I suppose that's just the British Way. Other countries can manage a similar operation without going through a trial by ordeal, why can't we? Not like me to lose faith in something that's clearly a good thing, but this ain't fun any more. Isn't that what Geocaching is meant to be about? Fun? OK so a certain amount of healthy discussion is good for any hobby/sport/thing, but reading these fora I can't help thinking of that scene from Fantasia where Mickey Mouse is having problems with a multitude of brooms keen to add their own bucket of water to the situation. The only differences are that here we have socks instead of brooms and what they have in their buckets is certainly not water.

Please, feel free to prove me totally and utterly wrong.

* like Land Managers: remember them?

And on the other side of the coin :

The current elections will be completed in 2 days time, What is the point of adding another week to that. Then there will be complaints that "I was not available during that period because I was away ".

(been there dun that)

BUT, what annoys me most is that when the GAGB was first announced the seven who started it all and dedicated their time and efforts to it were given so much flack, were told that they had not been elected by anybody, called "The Secret Seven" etc etc. that they were mostly "run out of town" and gave up. Three of them even resigned as Admin for GC.com in order to give the GAGB all they could.

Now you want to give it to a largly unelected body. !

It just does not make sense !

I have another even more radical idea. Let's ask the original "Secret Seven" to take it on again because there is little difference to what you are proposing now. Except of course, the original "SS" put their all into it and some of the "Unelected Eight" were not even supportive of the GAGB when it was founded.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

Paul G0TLG Guest

Personally I&#39;ll come out in favour of ANYTHING which gets a committee up and running.

An imperfect committee (they all are, anyway) is FAR FAR BETTER than no committee at all. But come on folks, lets give them a chance...

Paul

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Originally posted by Tim and June@Nov 2 2003, 11:18 AM
    Now you want to give it to a largly unelected body. &#33;
    I have to say it seems wierd too. However, it seems to have a lot of support.

Perhaps the secret seven (where did that come from???) were seen to have too much control over geocaching? Can&#39;t see why but something obviously disturbed folks :-(