Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: TerraCache blown up in America...

Red face TerraCache blown up in America...

A TerraCacher in America, at Ware Shoals near a dam in South Carolina, has had his cache blown up by the police who thought it was a pipe bomb. :

"WARE SHOALS, S.C. -- Police said that a “suspicious device” was found near a dam in Ware Shoals on Tuesday afternoon and detonated. They later said it was part of a global treasure hunt game. ... Police said the device was about eight inches long and about two inches around. It was sealed on one end and had a cap in place on the other, police said. It also had the phrase “terra tube” written on it.":wacko:

Read more: http://www.foxcarolina.com/news/19242497/detail.html

"Finding oneself is the quest of life...”

Hmmm.

I guess that a cache that is made in the shape of a pipe bomb looks more like a terrorcache than a terracache...h34r:

Hmm, perhaps "terra tube" might not be the best way of labelling a container! h34r:

Well, it's not the first time a cache has been blown up as a potential terrorist device, and I doubt if it'll be the last. I think this highlights the need to seek the landowner's permission, make sure that they know exactly where and what the cache is, and label the container unambiguously.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Well, every cloud has a silver lining... The owner of the cache contacted the local police to explain and apologise, and it looks as if the police chief may now have become a cacher...!!!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​