• Yes, I smoke regularly

21 17.50%
  • Yes, I smoke occasionally

5 4.17%
  • No, I don't smoke

94 78.33%

Thread: Do you smoke?

Default Do you smoke?

About 27 per cent of the population smoke, but I've noticed that in various fields the proportion is sometimes very different from the general average. For example, I worked in theatre for many years, and the proportion of smokers in that profession was much higher than average.

I'd be interested to know how cachers compare with the national average.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

My first fag was smoked surreptitiously at the farthest end of the school playing fields back in the 70's but I finally gave up 3 years ago, my only regret .... that I didn't try harder to give up sooner.

Default Ihatesmokingihatesmokingihatesmokingihatesmokingih atesmokingihatesmokingihatesmoking

Mam and dad smoked like chimneys for years. Mam died of lung cancer in her 50's. Says it all really.

I had really bad asthma as a kid - hate people smoking near me. I hate it that much I have to try really hard not to do them any physical harm. (that's what I feel they are doing to me by smoking near me).

Never even tried it, never smoked, never will. :socool:

Evil weed!

I hate people smoking!

Guess which way I voted?...

"Finding oneself is the quest of life...”

When I was at school, my mum used to smoke, and whenever she left her smouldering cancer sticks in the ashtray, I used to put water on them to put them out for good.. I got a right earbashing when she found the soggy mess.. But it was worth it!!

As for me, I'd rather sniff other peoples farts than smoke.. Afterall, there hasn't been any links with "second-user farts" and lung cancer!

Cheerio,
    Mr Rampton Broadmoore Esq.

Well, this has been running for over a week now, and the proportion of cachers who smoke is below the national average, as I'd expected, but not as low as I'd thought it might be.

As it stands at the moment, a little over 20.5% of cachers smoke, compared to around 27% of the population as a whole.

I'll leave this poll open for the benefit of anyone who still wants to vote.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Quote Originally Posted by Rampton Broadmoore View Post
    When I was at school, my mum used to smoke, and whenever she left her smouldering cancer sticks in the ashtray, I used to put water on them to put them out for good.. I got a right earbashing when she found the soggy mess.. But it was worth it!!

As for me, I'd rather sniff other peoples farts than smoke.. Afterall, there hasn't been any links with "second-user farts" and lung cancer!

Cheerio,
    Mr Rampton Broadmoore Esq.
    Not sure I'd go that far!!!h34r:

"Finding oneself is the quest of life...”

Quote Originally Posted by 11011100 View Post
    Not sure I'd go that far!!!h34r:
    Perhaps I was a tad over enthusiastic in my comments!
    Having thought about it, what I was trying to say is that cigarette smoke stinks, and the stink lingers for hours, where as some farts stink, but are usually gone in a few seconds, unless the owner has a very poor diet or has a "follow through"....

TTFN,
    Rampton.

Never have.
    Hubby did before he met me ,and that was many years ago .

Non-caching sister and husband did ,
    till her husband started treatmeant for bowel cancer 6 months ago .

They're still using N.H.S. alternatives .but no need now for us to wash our hair and clothes after visiting them to get rid of that smell .

And his treatment is going well .
    We like Greens

Our section leader chained smoked in an engineering design office where I worked some years ago, the drifting smoke drove us all mad
    A chimney was made from roll paper tubes, from the print machines, they were attached to the hanging phone cable and his ashtray fixed to the desk under it. Drew a treat it did, and got decorated at Christmas. Everybody happy

He still stunk of cigarettes though....

Chopper1192 Guest

I smoke cigars, though I'm careful not to inflict them on anyone else.

On the downside, I drive a 2.7 litre V6 diesel and can't help polluting everyone elses air with the nasties it churns out, but I seem to be the only one who notices the irony (ie, the anti smoking wallahs seem happy to pollute my air with their 2cvs).

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1192 View Post
    I smoke cigars, though I'm careful not to inflict them on anyone else.

On the downside, I drive a 2.7 litre V6 diesel and can't help polluting everyone elses air with the nasties it churns out, but I seem to be the only one who notices the irony (ie, the anti smoking wallahs seem happy to pollute my air with their 2cvs).

LOL, good point well made.....

Daddy_Moose has this horrible habit of smoking in work......nowhere else though!! Weeks go by on holiday, and not a sniff!

Mummy_Moose may have had one.........once................decades ago!

Noodle_Moose is still too young to realise, and this is the main reason that Daddy_Moose is not going to come home from work smelling like an ashtray ever again!!! (we'll see shall we!!!)
    He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost?

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - TS ELLIOT

Infortunately, yes, I do

Never have, never will.

I hate the smell, and as said before, your clothes stink afterwards.

Oh, and the smoking ban in public places has got to be the best thing that has happened in this country since sliced bread.......and you can't beat sliced bread

I used to, I gave up on December 8th last year. Both the best and the hardest thing I have ever done.

I used to. I could still have one and enjoy it and not want another. However, having watched my Dad die of cancer (caused by asbestos rather than smoking, but not a dissimilar effect) I wouldn't wish that kind of illness on my worst enemy.

Both my parents smoked until I was about 4 and then stopped so I grew up in a household of reformed smokers. Good incentive not to start:P

Never even tried it, I grew up with both parents smoking. My brother and sister never tried either. Just thinking about how much I must have smelled of stale smoke when I was at school really is disgusting.