Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1000 club

Sagina nivalis Guest

Cool 1000 club

Figures as of 29/4/09. I have used "Unofficial register" figures for those who belong to that "club" as these give a precise total of pillars visited. TUK totals include FBMs etc, also revisits in the case of people (e.g. me) who log repeat visits. [ted points out below that the totals no longer multi-count revisits]

RobW 5547 Pillars visited
    John Friend 4307 Pillars visited
    mickandshane 3024 TUK logs
    iainmac 2991 Pillars visited
    Rhayader_wanderer2315 TUK logs
    Barbara Jones 2154 Pillars visited
    Glaslyn 2001 TUK logs
    fasgadh 1673 TUK logs
    Jerzy Buczak 1429 Pillars visited
    Graeme Paterson 1374 Pillars visited
    Pyoung1s 1327 TUK logs
    Jim Cain 1312 Pillars visited
    Jonathan Rouse 1157 Pillars visited
    bluebeard 1078 TUK logs
    Trevor Littlewood 1049 Pillars visited
    Sue Littlewood 1049 Pillars visited
    ted 1019 TUK logs

John Friend is a new (to me) find. He visited 4307 trigs in 50 months (i.e. about 1000/year), in mainland England, Wales and Central/Southern Scotland plus the IOW and Anglesey. This was between June 1986 and August 1990, before a car accident brought his trigging career to an abrupt halt.

Makes you wonder how many others there are out there. Anyone know any?

Congrats to ted and bluebeard on passing the 1000, also Glaslyn for passing 2000.

Does anyone know what happened to mickandshane?? (and how to format columns in posts? The software removes "spare" spaces )
    Last edited by Sagina nivalis; 30th April 2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Jim Cain added

Quite a few of those names are new to me. Are they triggers who don't cache, or am I living in my own little world here?

As to formatting posts, I don't know an answer, except to make the "table" an image and post that. Perhaps someone else knows better?
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

ted Guest

> 1000 club

Trigaholics Anonymous might be a more appropriate name for some of us

Rob - are you sure that TP:UK stats count repeat visits in the main total?
    I didn't think it did anymore. I recall that Barry found and fixed a bug a
    couple of years ago.

> ted 1019
    including an assortment of active stations, surface blocks, Berntsens
    and the like so a little way to go yet.

Visit #1000 was a very windy (but enjoyable) Murton Pike and #500 was
    trig pillar S5000 on the Bowland Fells.

I too wonder what became of MickandShane - they used to post some interesting logs.

Regards
    Ted
    Last edited by ted; 30th April 2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: update

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Quite a few of those names are new to me. Are they triggers who don't cache, or am I living in my own little world here?
    Yes several don't post on TUK, or do so only rarely e.g. Barbara; the Littlewoods; Jon Rouse. They also do non-pillar flush brackets - big-style. If BMs counted as caches over here, several of us would be a few thousand up Not having any interest in opening that can of worms.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    Rob - are you sure that TP:UK stats count repeat visits in the main total?
    I didn't think it did anymore. I recall that Barry found and fixed a bug a
    couple of years ago.
    I've not studied them recently but now you mention it, you appear to be correct. Thanks!

> ted 1019
    #500 was trig pillar S5000 on the Bowland Fells.
    Very poetic Roll on #1500
    Rob

Sagina nivalis Guest

Default mickandshane

I too wonder what became of MickandShane - they used to post some interesting logs.
    I've just come across HEATHENS' photo of them, at S1718 Masson Hill

And I agree that that trig should have a blue smiley

Sagina nivalis Guest

Just musing on who will be next to 1000. Lathama currently in pole on 977, Father Ted on 934, asbown 829 but moving a little more quickly. Sweepstake, anyone

My money's on asbown. Looks like he'll be there early next spring. He was behind me not so long ago - an impressive rate of progress. I'll be happy with 600 by the end of the year myself, should I make it.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Dunno, Lathama might just do it.

Bet you a pint Bernie, to be redeemed at Ian's teach-in supposing the matter is settled by then.

You're on. Except that I've given up the drink altogether now, so it'll have to be a pint of Darjeeling. :coffee:

But I would be seriously interested in the proposed trig seminar, should it come around, work - or lack of it -etc allowing.

Trigpoint Bears Guest

Congratualtions on those who have reached 1000+

Was hoping to do far more this year than I have managed, but work (a lack of it... ) has curtailed proposed trigging holidays so I'll be lucky to make number 300 this year, but that is my target

I've been concentrating more on climbing hills myself this year, which oddly perhaps, tends to lead to smaller trig counts. A few more deleted/subDonalds to do then I'll get back to it. 600 is my target for the New Year.

ted Guest

Congratulations to Lathama - Derek and Alex Latham (Father/Son) for reaching 1000 trig stations

Well done to them both.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Congratulations to Lathama - Derek and Alex Latham (Father/Son) for reaching 1000 trig stations
    Brilliant

agentmancuso you owe me that pint of Darjeeling :cheers: Could we make it a half

agentmancuso you owe me that pint of Darjeeling

Let's call it double or quits, if I make a 1000 before I'm 40 opcorn:
    Last edited by agentmancuso; 14th October 2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: non sequitur

Sagina nivalis Guest

Not sure I could cope with 2 pints of Darjeeling, Bernie!

Remind me, how long before that deadline?

Ted - to confirm - Derek and Alex have both passed 1000?

A tad less than 4 years. Should be do-able, reckoning on 100 new trigs a year, which is pretty much the going rate for me.

trigbagger Guest

I'll be happy to have made it to 100 by the end of the year, never mind 1000. Phew, good work guys

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    A tad less than 4 years. Should be do-able, reckoning on 100 new trigs a year, which is pretty much the going rate for me.
    Go for it - and let us know when you're next one is planned, if you fancy some company.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagina nivalis View Post
    Go for it - and let us know when you're next one is planned, if you fancy some company.
    Yup, I will come out of hiding to celebrate that one, most likely.

And you don't have to worry about the darjeeling either - I've abandoned that particular experiment for the time being & reverted to a steady diet of real ale & whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by trigbagger View Post
    I'll be happy to have made it to 100 by the end of the year, never mind 1000.
    Well, as the geocaching guys are forever repeating - rather over-defensively it seems to me - it's not about the numbers. :lol:

Heading for the beconifered wasteland of the Forest of Ae tomorrow, all being well.

trigbagger Guest

No it's not about the numbers, lol. But better more is better, :socool:

I discovered the trigpointing UK website a few years ago and started logging my visits from then, although I've been hill walking for years and have always had a bit of a 'thing' for trig points so I've probably visited many more than I've logged but never made a note of the FB number or the date or taken a photo.

I added a few logs from visits in the past that I could date through dates on photos or from knowing when holidays and trips were etc. But there are loads that I can't log as I haven't a clue when I was there.

And now I'm getting older I'll probably never re-visit some of the more challenging ones to get a log date and a photo.

The good thing is that my boyfriend (we've only been together 18 months) has very recently been bitten by the trig point bug so we now have a day out once every week or two and bag a few, so I should be able to get to more then ever before, as a woman I was always a bit nervous of bagging alone as some are in quite remote areas and my ex never wanted to join in.

I'm now getting quite interesting in geocaching too, I haven't done one yet but I've discovered that there is one over the road from my parents house, so it would be rude not to go find it, lol.

I'm now getting quite interesting in geocaching too, I haven't done one yet but I've discovered that there is one over the road from my parents house, so it would be rude not to go find it, lol.
    Helps if you keep the same name for caching.*
    Look out for YOSM cache.
    It a Grandfathered moving cache, that gets located at Trigs, bolts etc.
    (It's not a cache box, it's an old Virtual cache, and can be logged as many times as you've found the different trigs!)

*Except I've changed my caching username, and TUK haven't/can't change/d it!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

trigbagger Guest

I've the same username here as I have at trigpointing UK, but I've registered on geocaching.com as "siobhan and graeme" as we'll be finding them together.

I became aware of the YOSM cache just yesterday on a post by agentmancuso. I'm not too sure how a virtual cache works though, I've looked at the list of trigs/rivets/bolts etc on the YOSM website and I've already visited a few of the ones that are close to home, and could very easily do a revisit. Can they be done in any order though, or do they have to be done in a specific order, or does the cache owner nominate a location for a period of time that everyone tries to find, and then changes to another location? I don't want to screw things up by logging the wrong location at the wrong time or anything like that. Oh and seeing as it's virtual what evidence to you need to get to prove you were there?

Sorry for my complete ignorance but geocaching is all new to me. I think I've just about figured out how regular geocaching works, but I've just discovered virtual caches and there's a lot to learn.

Ye Ole Survey Monuments

This cache will be moved around the UK and Geocachers from all areas will get a chance to log it.

You will be searching for a specific survey monument, pillar, surface block, rivet, or bolt.

The cache can be logged from previous postings.

To log a find email me the numbers that are on the monument or a description of the location and type of monument you found. You can also post pictures to the site

Please include the Name of the Monument and the YSM number with your posting on the cache page
    Any order. Any time, so can be 'backdated' if you have the relevant information.
    If it's listed as being/having been a YOSM it can be logged.

It's one of the few caches that can be logged more than once (Can of worms there, on the forums!). But, as it moves around, it is a different experience every time.

The cache page has a list of who has logged it and how many times.
    (I've only logged it once. So far! )
    Work gets in the way!

I discovered the trigpointing UK website a few years ago and started logging my visits from then, although I've been hill walking for years and have always had a bit of a 'thing' for trig points so I've probably visited many more than I've logged but never made a note of the FB number or the date or taken a photo.
    Similar story for me, except I'd almost always made a note of the date I'd climbed a particular hill, so it made it easy to backdate logs on T:UK once I'd discovered the site. For the handful of very old logs I just made a reasonable estimate - I can't see that it makes any difference anyway, other than for major changes in condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    *Except I've changed my caching username, and TUK haven't/can't change/d it!
    Intrigued: what's your T:UK handle?

It's one of the few caches that can be logged more than once (Can of worms there, on the forums!)
    Give 'em hell!

More on YoSM here.
    Last edited by agentmancuso; 17th October 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: missed bits out.

Intrigued: what's your T:UK handle?
    Bear and Ragged, the one cacher that used to be two cachers, known as KandG.

73 logged trigs. (900 -and a few- to go, to get to 1000!)
    1 to log from Friday, found while out caching. (Like most of the found trigs!)

There's a trig not too far away from mum's house, that's been YOSM. Just waiting to find the time to bag it, trig-wise and YOSM-wise!

Might even Waymark it!
    Work gets in the way!

trigbagger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post

73 logged trigs. (900 -and a few- to go, to get to 1000!)

I'm on 73 too, 1000 seems a long way away

ted Guest

Rob,

> to confirm - Derek and Alex have both passed 1000?

As I understand it, Alex logged the early trigs for 'Lathama'
    and then Derek has logged most of the more recent ones.
    So 1000 is the combined total, not an individual score.

Regards
    Ted

Sagina nivalis Guest

Just realised my TUK total has sneaked past 6400 Every hundred is hard won these days. 7000 would presumably involve a lot of non-pillar trigs.

Who will be next to 1000 - Father Ted (977) or asbown (950)?

Just realised my TUK total has sneaked past 6400 Every hundred is hard won these days. 7000 would presumably involve a lot of non-pillar trigs.

Who will be next to 1000 - Father Ted (977) or asbown (950)?
    Well done. I'm having difficulty arriving at a total figure for pillars, as GSAK doesn't allow filtering on the 'container' field except by standard cache sizes, and that's where 'pillar' appears. I'll work it out somehow :wacko:

I reckon asbown will be next up, as his rate of progress is pretty impressive.

Sagina nivalis Guest

I'm having difficulty arriving at a total figure for pillars, as GSAK doesn't allow filtering on the 'container' field except by standard cache sizes, and that's where 'pillar' appears. I'll work it out somehow :wacko:

I use a different database for that, which shows a pillar total of 5714 (this includes empty bases, debris etc)

I wouldn't bet against you re. Andy (not wishing to lose that hard-won cuppa )

Well done. I'm having difficulty arriving at a total figure for pillars, as GSAK doesn't allow filtering on the 'container' field except by standard cache sizes, and that's where 'pillar' appears. I'll work it out somehow :wacko:
    It wasn't so hard after all - I just exported everything to a .csv file & edited.:cheers:

This gave rise to a total of 6653 pillars, including 4 hydrographic, 2 other non-OS, 32 Project Emily plus a couple of other MoD, and all known cases of pillars being farmerised, buried by motorway, replaced by nearby pillars, converted to blocks, or otherwise mucked around with.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Did (or could) this result in a file of pillars, each with its TUK status and when last found intact, by any chance? This would be way of checking for refinds / resurrections ...

Nearly. There's a spreadsheet in the post.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Nope its Father Ted Craig Wen this weekend, although asbown only needs another 8. That was almost a second cuppa you owe me Bernie

Impressive on both counts.

My total has ground to a halt recently - I've exchanged monthly runs on the local mountaineering club bus for trigging days for the time being. I'll be back down in the Borders over Easter though, so should get a few then, including that Aux at Kelso I missed last year

I had that problem...until a very nice bloke wrote me a GSAK macro that copied the information in the 'Container' column into the 'User Data 3' column.
    You can filter / sort that column easily.
    Macro is HERE if you want it.
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

That's brilliant John,

thanks a million.

Bernie

ted Guest

Andy Bown (asbown) is now past the 1000 mark
    https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/image...s/applause.gif
    http://www.trigpointinguk.com/info/v...ile.php?u=5110

Of particular interest in Andy's updates is TP4595 - M O S Eastriggs
    http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/...ils.php?t=4595

Ted

Sagina nivalis Guest

Congrats to Andy for passing the thousand mark and especially for leading the way (as with Fort Southwick) and getting into Eastriggs A group of us got permission a year or so back but someone at a high level pulled the plug a few days before Would be nice to upgrade my distant-view tick to a closer encounter.

Coincidentally I was reading this evening in the Marilyn Hall of Fame News that Peter Collins (not on TUK AKAIK) got his 1000th trig pillar last year. These may be mostly summit trigs. I'll see if I can find more info.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Coincidentally I was reading this evening in the Marilyn Hall of Fame News that Peter Collins (not on TUK AKAIK) got his 1000th trig pillar last year. These may be mostly summit trigs. I'll see if I can find more info.
    Peter advises:
    My total is now about 1,052. 557 in England and Wales 495 in Scotland.
    The 1,000th was Dionscourt Hill 7893.
    Pillars on humps or better are 261 in England and Wales and 490 in Scotland. I followed your idea and visited all remaining columns on my local OS map 150 and then those within a 50 m radius of home. Then a series (and not visited in ascending order) from -1m,0m,1m to 304m. I may extend this in the 300m to 400m range when I have found out where they are and how many gaps there are.

Time for another 1kC update methinks.

Does anyone know how to format columns in posts? The software removes "spare" spaces
    Try entering the data as php code, using the php button in the post toolbar:

PHP Code:
    Figures as of 29/4/09
    RobW              5547
    John Friend       4307 Pillars visited
    mickandshane      3024 TUK logs
    iainmac           2991 Pillars visited
    Rhayader_wanderer 2315 TUK logs
    Barbara Jones     2154 Pillars visited
    Glaslyn           2001 TUK logs
    fasgadh           1673 TUK logs
    Jerzy Buczak      1429 Pillars visited
    Graeme Paterson   1374 Pillars visited
    Pyoung1s          1327 TUK logs
    Jim Cain          1312 Pillars visited
    Jonathan Rouse    1157 Pillars visited
    bluebeard         1078 TUK logs
    Trevor Littlewood 1049 Pillars visited
    Sue Littlewood    1049 Pillars visited
    ted               1019 TUK logs 
    Of course, you'll need to format the data in word or notepad (using an equal spaced font such as courier new, before copying it into your post.

PS on most other forums, the CODE tag will do the trick - for some reason it doesn't do the job here.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Thanks for that :cheers:. Here goes: 1000 club as at 10/5/10
    PHP Code:
                         Pillars   TUK trigs  gain since 13/7/09
    1  peregrinus           5784   6463       237
    2  John Friend          4307                0
    3  Mickandshane                3024         0
    4  iainmac              3057   3873        66
    5  Rhayader_wanderer           2377        62
    6  Barbara Jones        2235               81
    7  Glaslyn              1892   2299       298
    8  Fasgadh                     1714        41
    9  Clochandighter       1509   1573        80
    10 Jerzy Buczak         1439               10
    11 Pyoung1s                    1438       111
    12 Bluebeard                   1409       331
    13 James Cain           1331               19
    14 Ted                  1171              152
    15 Jonathan Rouse       1157                0
    16 Sue Littlewood       1099               50
    17 Trevor Littlewood    1099               50
    18 Peter Collins        1052       
    (new entry)
    19 Lathama                     1016        37
    20 Father Ted                  1011        77
    21 Asbown                      1004       181
    =============================================

ocean soul                   968       204
       RogerTempleman               800       454
       Dusty                        715       220 
    4 new since last time, with several fast movers, especially bluebeard and Glaslyn. This time I've included TUK and Unofficial Register figures for those privileged few who appear on both lists. The UR is strictly pillars which were extant at time of visit; TUK totals include FBMs, Bolts, missing trigs etc.

ocean soul looks set to be the next member unless someone else comes out of the woodwork. RogerT has been busy digging out records of visits from decades ago, including several pillars which have long since gone. Next in line is Dusty, also moving quickly.

I hadn't realised there were so many non T:UKers. Impressive stuff.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Indeed, although I notice I've "promoted" ted to non-TUK status

ted Guest

Another claimant here:
    http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/...ils.php?t=4582

I wonder who it might be

Surprising one, that. Wonder where the other 999 logs are?