Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hi from a newby, and QQ re. opening caches with stealth!

Default Hi from a newby, and QQ re. opening caches with stealth!

Hi!

Newbie here - we only started geocaching last weekend, but we're hooked already! I have a pile of printouts for caches we're going looking for this weekend, and we all have our own Travel Bugs ready for release :-)

Quick question though - we found a medium sized cache last weekend, and the kids had a wonderful time unearthing it, opening it, sorting through all the contents, swapping swag and signing the log book. Fortunately, we were in a deserted location, but the thought crossed my mind, how do you open caches discretely (with children!) with lots of other people about?

Any top tips gratefully received!

Thanks,

L

First of all, if there are people about then retrieve the cache discretely and take it somewhere else to open it (but make sure to remember EXACTLY where you found it) so that anyone noticing you looking at the box won't associate it with the hide location. It can also help to put the cache box into a bag/rucksack (if you've got one with you) to open it, then anyone seeing you will just think you're rummaging in your bag looking for something.

Having the kids (or dogs) with you is good, as everyone expects kids to be doing silly, pointless stuff and they'll go unnoticed, it's grownups on their own that arouse suspicion h34r:

Oh and wellcome :cheers:

Welcome to caching, and congratulations on your first find!

What martybartfast says.

If the hiding place is not an obvious one, then when you remove the cache put a marker, like a stone for example, in its place to ensure you replace it in the correct spot.

You've got an advantage, caching with children, as they can provide distractions, and as marty says people expect children to be doing silly things anyway.

I mostly cache on my own, and I've had a few situations where I've felt I was being watched by one or more individuals whilst I was signing the log and so on. If they don't move along, I have a drink, and a sandwich if I've got one, then make some imaginary mobile calls. If they still don't go, I put the cache in my bag and walk away, give it a while and then go back and replace it, assuming the people have gone, of course.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Martybartfast - thank you! Its true, kids are always doing strange & pointless things anyway!

Like the idea (if necessary) of removing the cache a short way away to open more discretely - but does this cause a problem if the 'observers' are actually also geocachers?

Am I unnecessarily complicating things??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    If they don't move along, I have a drink, and a sandwich if I've got one, then make some imaginary mobile calls. If they still don't go, I put the cache in my bag and walk away, give it a while and then go back and replace it, assuming the people have gone, of course.
    Bill D - good ideas - like the mobile calls idea!

I think I may be worrying unnecessarily, but the plans we have for the weekend involve geocaching around a very popular village! Maybe a big picnic blanket, suitable for impromtu 'picnics' / hiding the cache may be called for?!

L x

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndTabbyFamily View Post
    Bill D - good ideas - like the mobile calls idea!

I think I may be worrying unnecessarily, but the plans we have for the weekend involve geocaching around a very popular village! Maybe a big picnic blanket, suitable for impromtu 'picnics' / hiding the cache may be called for?!

L x
    A big picnic blanket certainly sounds like a good idea! Anything that makes you look just like an ordinary, if maybe slightly nutty () family out for a walk is useful. A tennis ball or something similar can be useful too - a throw n catch game where the ball just happens to go quite accidentally into a particular clump of bushes offers the perfect visual explanation as to why the children suddenly rush in there.

Anything that makes you look just like an ordinary, if maybe slightly nutty () family out for a walk is useful.
    Oh - we already look like an ordinary, slightly nutty family!!:lol:

Martybartfast - thank you! Its true, kids are always doing strange & pointless things anyway!

Like the idea (if necessary) of removing the cache a short way away to open more discretely - but does this cause a problem if the 'observers' are actually also geocachers?

Am I unnecessarily complicating things??!!
    Cachers eye will tell you/them if you're cachers after the same cache!

600+ caches, I've only been caught twice with the cache in hand by a fellow cacher.

"Am I unnecessarily complicating things??!!" Yes! :lol:
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

I don't think so, if they are cachers then they'll probably figure out what you're up to and come and join you! Don't worry you'll soon develop and eye for spotting other cachers in the wild !

I had a similar situation a couple of months ago, when I turned a bend in the path I spotted a family in the distance who quickly moved along the path as soon as they saw me, and stopped about 30 feet away to 'look at the map', as I got to GZ I realised this was where they'd been hovering so I kept walking, saw that they were clutching a GPS and a printout of the cache page so I just asked "did you find it?" I signed the log while they were doing swaps and went on my way after a quick chat, and so I met another group of cachers in the woods.

We had an interesting one on our first "family" day out caching!

Stumbled up another couple who had just found their first cache!

It was a micro cache, which was very well hidden....... we said our hello's had a quick chat then wandered off down the path until they replaced the cache & shouted the all clear!

We got to have the fun of actually locating the cache which was great!

Agree with the children thing too..... having a Noodle who is only just potty trained has it's advantages too, just nip the "adventure potty" out of the bag and offer said toddler a sit, people won't come looking too closely at that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Moose View Post
    having a Noodle who is only just potty trained has it's advantages too, just nip the "adventure potty" out of the bag and offer said toddler a sit, people won't come looking too closely at that!!
    :lol: yes - I can imagine most people would turn a blind eye to anything else going on then!

Unfortunately, since my kids are now 9 & 8 I think persuading one of them to sit on a potty, out in the open, might be stretching my influencing skills!

L x

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

Hi guys & welcome,

just wanted to add you can get away with lots when you cache with kids as our 7 & 11 year old have proved in the past after all there just kids playing on a tree stump, ditch, bridge, tree :lol:

I would have to agree with moving away form the location if its overlooked but agian its only kids going through their "toybox" even if it seems a little odd.

We have also used the phoney phone call to stall time aswell as getting out sweets/drinks at moments when we are being watched. We have even looked for lost balls that got kicked into the hedge, that we didnt have :lol::lol:.

Just enjoy it its great fun Im sure youll be telling us about your stories soon.

You can enhance the kids by adding a geopup .... there's been a few times when I've managed to avoid being caught in the act by wandering around in the undergrowth with an empty purple poop bag in my hand. :wacko:

nobbynobbs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Handsyhands View Post
    You can enhance the kids by adding a geopup .... there's been a few times when I've managed to avoid being caught in the act by wandering around in the undergrowth with an empty purple poop bag in my hand. :wacko:

just make sure that said geopup doesn't mark their territory just before you locate the cache at that tree!!! hmy:

:lol:

We have often been known to be looking for our GeoHound's lost ball, particularly if we get caught in the act ; never have managed to find it though .
    I'm sure that this technique could also be applied with children.

You are all so sneaky - I stand in awe of your sneakiness!

Thanks for all the tips - loving the geopup idea :socool:

If the kids ever get bored of going out 'treasure hunting', I'll just tell them we've got a new game to play, called 'spies'. Suitably sneaky, I think!

Right - off to make the sandwiches - full day's geocaching ahead!

L

Have definately seen the advantage to owning (or borrowing) a Geo-Doggie!

Several of our finds this weekends have been in muggle-tastic areas, and even having Noodle_Moose with us hasn't been sufficient cover for our scramblings in the undergrowth!

Had to use the "on the phone" technique once, however might not have been plausible as Daddy_Moose was standing in a nettle patch at the time!

Have begun the Geo-Doggie hunt, but with limited success due to Noodle_Moose's age and the restrictions that rescue centres impose!

F_M

Have definately seen the advantage to owning (or borrowing) a Geo-Doggie!

Have begun the Geo-Doggie hunt, but with limited success due to Noodle_Moose's age and the restrictions that rescue centres impose!

F_M
    Unless you've owned a dog before, please think carefully about the commitment you'd be taking on. You're looking at maybe ten or fifteen years or more of feeding, taking for walks, washing off the cow pats and worse, vets bills and lots lots more...!

That said, owning a dog is enormously rewarding, and Noodle_Moose would probably enjoy growing up with one!

If you're getting a dog from a rescue centre try to find one with a known history, and whatever the source, don't leave Noodle_Moose and the dog alone together until you're certain all's well in that direction.

Family_Moose have been "sans dog" for a few years, and now that Noodle_Moose is that little bit older we have decided that the time has arrived when a four legged addition to our family would be ideal!

We've been looking around since Christmas to find the ideal addition, so know it's not going to be a quick decision as we need to take so many things into account, Noodle_Moose being one of our biggest and of course the pooch!

Mind you replacing our first "baby" will be difficult as she was one of a kind!!

F_M

Used some of the afore mentioned 'tricks' (except the doggy ones) but also used tying a shoelace or two or three to waste time, taking pictures of the flora and fauna.

I've been caught out a couple of times emerging from bushes etc but I tend to use the looking for a 'rare bird' or 'animal' excuse.

If I used the real reason - I might get locked up ...:wacko:
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Family_Moose have been "sans dog" for a few years, and now that Noodle_Moose is that little bit older we have decided that the time has arrived when a four legged addition to our family would be ideal!

We've been looking around since Christmas to find the ideal addition, so know it's not going to be a quick decision as we need to take so many things into account, Noodle_Moose being one of our biggest and of course the pooch!

Mind you replacing our first "baby" will be difficult as she was one of a kind!!

F_M
    Have you considered an Elkhound...?

Quote Originally Posted by gazooks View Post
    I've been caught out a couple of times emerging from bushes etc but I tend to use the looking for a 'rare bird' or 'animal' excuse.
    If you're emerging from bushes on your own just make out you're fastening your flies...

If you're emerging with a dog make sure you bring a large stick or a tennis ball out with you...

If you're emerging with a woman, well, just fasten your flies...

F_M

As you already have a Noodle, perhaps you should consider getting a spoodle.

Have you considered an Elkhound...?
    We hadn't... but they very spookily have a slight resemblance to our old four legged friend...

Elkhound....

Chanel_Bear Moose
    Last edited by Family_Moose; 5th May 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    As you already have a Noodle, perhaps you should consider getting a spoodle.

Now that is very cute indeed.........

If you're emerging from bushes on your own just make out you're fastening your flies...

If you're emerging with a dog make sure you bring a large stick or a tennis ball out with you...

:lol: Just caught up with this thread!!

:lol: Just caught up with this thread!!
    Ditto
    ...but what do you do if you are just emerging with your 23 year old son
    https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log....6-c93b035aa9ba

Quote Originally Posted by T.R.a.M.P. View Post
    Ditto
    ...but what do you do if you are just emerging with your 23 year old son
    https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log....6-c93b035aa9ba
    Yes, that's a difficult one, as I've discovered when caching with my teenage great-nephew...

Or what about a Golden Doodle
    To find or not to find? That is the question

VepOwnene Guest

Default my message

It looks like we have similar ideas on this theme.