Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How did you choose your user name?

Default How did you choose your user name?

Something in another thread prompted me to ask this. How did you choose your caching user name? Obviously some names seem to be self-explanatory, but there are many unusual ones too, and it would be interesting to know how people came up with them. Even if your name appears to be self-explanatory, do tell us whether it is or not - I know of at least one user whose name appears to be but actually isn't.

I'll start the ball rolling... When I first signed up with gc.com I wasn't aware of the Groundspeak forums, nor of caching events, and I had no idea that I might become fairly widely known in caching circles. I just chose the initials of a website of mine - Wiltshire White Horses.

Then a while later I discoved the GS forums, and signed up there as Bill D (some of you will know that my surname is Daly). At that time the forums and gc.com were effectively two separate entities.

I soon realised that having different names on each was going to confuse people. I couldn't have Bill D as that was taken (ironically by someone who did 3 caches one Christmas years ago and then disappeared!). Eventually I decided to combine the two, hence Bill D (wwh).

So how about you?
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Mines pretty straightforward, my surname is Hands, my nickname has always been Handsy and I go out caching with various family members .... Handsyhands.

I originally signed up as mpatt644, which I've used elsewhere, then decided to change it to something more original. I was listening to reruns of HHGTTG for the 'n'th time and Slartibartfast was always one of my favourite characters from the series, so

Martyn + Slartibartfast=Martybartfast

although the kids call me Martyfartfast

Mine has nothing to do with a certain film but it comes from a project I worked on years ago where the japanese kept calling me by the project name rather than my real name h34r:

When we ran a pub in Ringwood, I produced a monthly newsletter. This began to worry a lot of the customers and they soon realised that they didn't dare say or do anything stupid or outrageous because it would get reported! As a result of the ruthless journalism, someone in the pub christened me Lois, after the Daily Planet's ace reporter Lois Lane! And I live in the New Forest. I really couldn't think of anything better at the time; so...
    It only takes one drink to get me drunk, but I can never remember if it was the thirteenth or fourteenth.

keehotee Guest

I originally signed up as timmyh_uk, as I had a friend in the US called timmyh.

But then, one dark night, my spirit guide appeared to me in a dream and gave me my new title, which translates from the Plains Apacherapaho as " he who talks bull in threads about name origins"

Daddy Moose has been known as "moose" for sometime (so long he can't even remember who, what, why or when it was chosen), since it's not just Daddy Moose who has been affected by the Geocaching bug we joined as a whole family....

Daddy Moose
    Mummy Moose
    Noodle Moose (The youngest of the Moose clan, and Noodle has been one of her many nicknames, but this one is the only one still around since she was born 3 long years ago!!)

In at nutshell, that's us "Family_Moose"

nobbynobbs Guest

if you've read the books by terry pratchett you know the character, so really just a little self parody. :wacko:

T.R.a.M.P. is a family team where our initials made a very apt acronym - well almost...
    Trevor (I'm the one that does most of the logging of caches), Rosemary, Michael and Paul.

The boys are now 20 and 23 - not sure how much longer they will be caching with us - but I like the user name so will probably keep it .

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

Our team name is just our nicknames strung together Mol (Molly), Frew (freya), Moss (Sue), Toad (me) although Mol is also known as Mookie but we opted for Mol in our caching name after all mookiefrew-mosstoad would just be plain silly! :lol::lol:

Signed up under another name in September 2004 -no caching
    Signed up and started caching as KandG in August 2005
    (GandK was already taken!)

K and G split and I needed a new name...

I live -and cache!- in the county of the Bear and Ragged Staff...

Despite the "and" it's just me!
    G

(previously G of KandG!)

Ha! My 300th post -it's not about the numbers?
    Last edited by Bear and Ragged; 3rd May 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: 300th post!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Oh dear this could be a long story .
    Well many moons ago in a previous life I was in a job where I was responsible for the QA of the current army combat helmets. It was the early days for this helmet so a lot where being produced and every batch had to be tested, which meant a lot of scrap helmets. The problem was that we did not have a way of disposing of these composite helmets due to them being slightly sensitive at that time but mostly due to the materials used and the environmental issues. So basically this meant that I was gradually building a mountain of scrap helmets just outside my office and as production increased the helmets where being tested quicker than I could process the results and eventually had to climb over the darn (can I say that here ) things to get to my desk.

So to cut to the chase my colleagues decided that it would be good to call me the Mad Hatter and it seemed to stick.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    if you've read the books by terry pratchett you know the character, so really just a little self parody. :wacko:

What he said .... OOK:socool:

Are there anymore TP characters out there ?

Quote Originally Posted by ook the librarian View Post

Well my avatar is Foul 'ol Ron
    millenium hand and shrimp!

Mines self explanitory, really, though most peeps think my first name is Gary......it's actually Gareth......been called Gaz for gazillions of years
    Another username I use a lot on other websites is "gaz4053".....which is the number on my cars for the last 13 years.

I met another cacher a few years ago....Walker Dan....who's real name is Les, he took his username from a North East comic strip, "Walker Dan, Newcastle Fan"

There's a cacher called Alice Band over near Leicester.

We got our name from The Blorenge, a high hill, near Abergavenny, where we found our first geocache "The First in Wales."

There's a thread about geocaching names over on the Groundspeak forum at the moment: I thought post #95 was rather clever.
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 4th May 2009 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post

We got our name from The Blorenge, a high hill, near Abergavenny, where we found our first geocache "The First in Wales."

There's a thread about geocaching names over on the Groundspeak forum at the moment: I thought post #95 was rather clever.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that thread, even though it was started a few days before mine. I rarely go anywhere but the UK forum over there these days.

I knew Alice Band was a familiar name when I first saw it in caching forums, but I couldn't place it... I remember now...!

Yep, #95 is indeed rather clever!

The DrDick bit is a nickname I have had for years due to being First Aid qualified for over 30 years and also because I was the one that friends came to in times of trouble 'Dr Dick will help you' and Vick is the wife.

And there's a Ponder Stibbons, who I've seen over in "the other place".

And there's me thinking it was after the hairband!
    "stealth archaeologist" is rather apt! :lol:
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

no idea how i came up with the name
    I'm Scottish hence the Tartan and Tumchie is a Scottish word. thats about it!!!!!!!!!!!

it just happened to turnup in a conversation LOL
    To find or not to find? That is the question

Could not think of a name when I first joined geocaching but as a child I enjoyed playing as a knight of the round table and in cartoons they seem to exclaim "gadzooks" a lot and at work I'm known as Gazza and so I formulated "Gazooks".

Simples.....:socool:
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

As a retired road cycle racing weight was always a major issue. My race weight was 59kgs to 60 kgs.

When I retired I got really, really fat and now weigh a massive 72kgs. In most peoples eyes I look slim but when I look back at my race weight I'm a bloater.

Hence living in Watford and being fat with wobbly stomach.
    Ho hum!

sidibousaid Guest

Nothing to do with the place in Tunisia, or the all female band from the 90's. Joined a football forum, but couldn't use my name, Simon. Tried nickname, Sid, couldn't use that either. One friend always called me sidi bou, just added the said because it was a forum, and what I wrote was my opinion. Simple.

With a keen interest in Scottish history, and always one to support the underdog, Jacobite seemed like the obvious choice. But as you can see from avatar, it's not taken too seriously.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Hang over from unix days. a friend of mine tried to post to me as Hellspawn and ran out of letters

Mr.Coffee and the Coffee Clan Guest

Being a big Coffee drinker with a commercial machine in my Kitchen I was called Mr.Coffee long before geocaching. I added the "and the Coffee Clan" to include the family of my wife Shelby and 2 teenage boys.
    The Clan comes from a Scottish/English ancestry so it all seemed to fit nicely.
    At times I prefer to drink a good Espresso before bed to help me sleep betterhmy:. and I love a FTF chase at 2am to make it more exciting.
    In my logs I add a "P.S" to give my logs something different and I think I have the longest gc.com user name.
    Regards Mr.Coffee and the "that's how I got my name" Coffee Clan.:cheers:

i got mine from gaming & my nickname when i was young used to be kermit & that was gone when i started online gaming so i added the kills & now it stuck & im kermit kills everywhere i register

Mole has been a nickname of mine for over 20 years - it had to be used and was quite appropriate for the sort of rummaging we do sometimes - 'deepdigging..' was added to distinguish it from other ID's I have which include mole - like 'Gavelmole' on ebay
    Tim - ddm

I chose mine becuse I keep getting comments at work that I should be a resident in the institutions with the same names!

But I think it sounds posh.. Hmmmm How much is a "deed poll" name change??

Mr Rampton Broadmoore Esq.

(Jeeve's.. Get those pikeys off the top field sharpish, there's a good chap!)

Thought I'd register for this geocaching type thingy when I first got a GPS just to work out if I might ever do one, and I wasn't giving them my real name. So I picked a character out of the book I was reading at the time, "Ser Visal" (out of "Ser Visal's Tale" in the "Daughter of Regals" collection by Stephen Donaldson.) Eventually got around to actually doing a cache a couple of years later, and before I knew it it was too late to change it.
    (And for those of you who know the book, no, I'm not a fat, balding, wine-swilling, tale telling noble (I may be some of those, but not all of them.))

Mine comes from where i live, Baddesley Ensor, and has been used by us since our days of Dartmoor Letterboxing, starting in the Eighties, in fact 14th July 1987, so all most 22 years.

Now i feel old...

I share a house with a collection of Border Collie dogs (and a wife).
    The dogs seem to regard the house as their own, and us humans as just lodgers / food providers / chauffeurs :wacko:

At most times, it seems more like a kennel than a house

And the house number is 79........... :lol:
    Try not to let your mind wander...........
    It's too small and fragile to be out by itself

Quote Originally Posted by thekennelat79 View Post
    The dogs seem to regard the house as their own, and us humans as just lodgers / food providers / chauffeurs :wacko:
    :
    Well, it is theirs, isn't it - you're just there under sufferance...

Actually, I knew you had a house full of dogs, but I didn't know they were border collies - they're superbly beautiful and intelligent dogs n way up there amongst my favourites!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    .......but I didn't know they were border collies - they're superbly beautiful and intelligent dogs n way up there amongst my favourites!
    You obviously haven't met my collie cross Sam - daft as a brush and as thick as two short planks but as loveable as hell....................................(yes, just like his owner )

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    You obviously haven't met my collie cross Sam - daft as a brush and as thick as two short planks but as loveable as hell....................................(yes, just like his owner )
    Just like his owner indeed - who is this guy...?!! h34r:

Back in March 2007 we went to Oslo for a long weekend with a group of friends. It was memorable not only for the great company and icy conditions but also for the ever-present Hale-Bopp comet that lit up the night sky.

The suburb of Oslo (though officially it is a city in its own right) where we were staying is called "Sandvika". Later that year, when choosing a name for our house that had just been built (not even the foundations had been excavated when we bought it) the name seemed a nice neutral choice.

Since then "Sandvika" has been used for all manner of things by everyone in the family and I've acquired and retained most of the domain names associated with it, including sandvika.com which was grabbed when someone else let it lapse. One somewhat inevitable consequence of this is that I get incorrectly addressed email in Norwegian from time to time, when people type sandvika.com instead of sandvika.no!

There are apparently 6 places called Sandvika in Norway, the one by Oslo being by far the largest. The name translates to Englsh as "Sandy Creek". It was also the subject of one of Claude Monet's works:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_1JgtDIIZoIU/SA...Y/P1170102.JPG

Way back in the dim and distant past that is my life, (well 1985 at least) one of my favourite books :wub:, was turned into a film staring Matthew Broderick, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer, called LADYHAWKE, and the 63??, simply the year I was born.

Isn't this an interesting thread? - We've really enjoyed it.......

sukisuix Guest

Talking

My name is made up from 3 parts. Suki was a name a friend called me for the past 20+years. Su is the shortened version of my name and the ix, came from the Asterix comics

I've been agentmancuso ever since I joined the FBI. Before that I was just Mr Mancuso.

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

I often cache with Rincewinds_hat, another Pratchet fan

When I started caching, I was half of HazelandPhill... that all ended in tears, and when we split, I got to keep the account (we didn't know about the ability to split the accounts in those days!)

I'd moved back to my Parents' temporarily and had no internet access for a day or two, but was concious that I wanted the account - and so to stop the ex nicking off with it, got Mum to change the password and user name ar work (when you could do that yourself!)

Imaginitively, she chose HazelS!! Gee - thanks Mum!

Actually - the name I would have chosen for myself had gone... to someone who has never even logged a cache

Quote Originally Posted by hazels View Post

Actually - the name I would have chosen for myself had gone... to someone who has never even logged a cache

Go on......tell us the name you wanted.......I am a nosey bu**er after all

A good time to intro myself, I'm new to GC'ing, my user name is first part my name, Al, and second part relates to my job, kind of!

Welcome, Al

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
    Go on......tell us the name you wanted.......I am a nosey bu**er after all
    As far as I remember, I think at the time, I wanted the name Saffy.

Saffy is a name I used to use online a bit, and goes back a long way - my parents are often accused of acting like teenagers, and someone once commented that I was the sensible one, like Saffy off Absolutely Fabulous. Family friends have continued to call me saffy to this day!
    Now doing small hills!
    Still blonde under the hair dye ;-)

Team Sieni Guest

Sieini is the Finnish word for mushroom, and we're keen fungus hunters. And Suomophiles (means a lover of Finland. I just made it up.). Going for a long walk, finding caches and fungi ... in Finland. That would be our #1. I think we've only managed to put all four together once.

I've actually no idea how I came about this name....... (well, OK, I lied!)

When I was a teenager (way back in the 60s) I read some humorous books by John Winton about new recruits joining the Navy. There were several running gags, but the one that stuck in my memory was that naval signallers used Biblical references to reduce the length of their signals to other ships.

So when I wanted a caching name, I thought Matthew 7:7 was very appropriate (being Seek and Ye shall Find). Unfortunately that was taken so I had to adapt it to Matthew 7:7 Too.

This has caused some confusion amongst committed Christians who think I am also a born again believer!

Chris
    Chris of Matthew 7:7 Too