Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: How did you choose your user name?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How did you choose your user name?

Something in another thread prompted me to ask this. How did you choose your caching user name? Obviously some names seem to be self-explanatory, but there are many unusual ones too, and it would be interesting to know how people came up with them. Even if your name appears to be self-explanatory, do tell us whether it is or not - I know of at least one user whose name appears to be but actually isn't.

I'll start the ball rolling... When I first signed up with gc.com I wasn't aware of the Groundspeak forums, nor of caching events, and I had no idea that I might become fairly widely known in caching circles. I just chose the initials of a website of mine - Wiltshire White Horses.

Then a while later I discoved the GS forums, and signed up there as Bill D (some of you will know that my surname is Daly). At that time the forums and gc.com were effectively two separate entities.

I soon realised that having different names on each was going to confuse people. I couldn't have Bill D as that was taken (ironically by someone who did 3 caches one Christmas years ago and then disappeared!). Eventually I decided to combine the two, hence Bill D (wwh).

So how about you?
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Mines pretty straightforward, my surname is Hands, my nickname has always been Handsy and I go out caching with various family members .... Handsyhands.

I originally signed up as mpatt644, which I've used elsewhere, then decided to change it to something more original. I was listening to reruns of HHGTTG for the 'n'th time and Slartibartfast was always one of my favourite characters from the series, so

Martyn + Slartibartfast=Martybartfast

although the kids call me Martyfartfast

Mine has nothing to do with a certain film but it comes from a project I worked on years ago where the japanese kept calling me by the project name rather than my real name h34r:

When we ran a pub in Ringwood, I produced a monthly newsletter. This began to worry a lot of the customers and they soon realised that they didn't dare say or do anything stupid or outrageous because it would get reported! As a result of the ruthless journalism, someone in the pub christened me Lois, after the Daily Planet's ace reporter Lois Lane! And I live in the New Forest. I really couldn't think of anything better at the time; so...
    It only takes one drink to get me drunk, but I can never remember if it was the thirteenth or fourteenth.

keehotee Guest

I originally signed up as timmyh_uk, as I had a friend in the US called timmyh.

But then, one dark night, my spirit guide appeared to me in a dream and gave me my new title, which translates from the Plains Apacherapaho as " he who talks bull in threads about name origins"

Daddy Moose has been known as "moose" for sometime (so long he can't even remember who, what, why or when it was chosen), since it's not just Daddy Moose who has been affected by the Geocaching bug we joined as a whole family....

Daddy Moose
    Mummy Moose
    Noodle Moose (The youngest of the Moose clan, and Noodle has been one of her many nicknames, but this one is the only one still around since she was born 3 long years ago!!)

In at nutshell, that's us "Family_Moose"

i got mine from gaming & my nickname when i was young used to be kermit & that was gone when i started online gaming so i added the kills & now it stuck & im kermit kills everywhere i register

Mole has been a nickname of mine for over 20 years - it had to be used and was quite appropriate for the sort of rummaging we do sometimes - 'deepdigging..' was added to distinguish it from other ID's I have which include mole - like 'Gavelmole' on ebay
    Tim - ddm

I chose mine becuse I keep getting comments at work that I should be a resident in the institutions with the same names!

But I think it sounds posh.. Hmmmm How much is a "deed poll" name change??

Mr Rampton Broadmoore Esq.

(Jeeve's.. Get those pikeys off the top field sharpish, there's a good chap!)

Thought I'd register for this geocaching type thingy when I first got a GPS just to work out if I might ever do one, and I wasn't giving them my real name. So I picked a character out of the book I was reading at the time, "Ser Visal" (out of "Ser Visal's Tale" in the "Daughter of Regals" collection by Stephen Donaldson.) Eventually got around to actually doing a cache a couple of years later, and before I knew it it was too late to change it.
    (And for those of you who know the book, no, I'm not a fat, balding, wine-swilling, tale telling noble (I may be some of those, but not all of them.))

Mine comes from where i live, Baddesley Ensor, and has been used by us since our days of Dartmoor Letterboxing, starting in the Eighties, in fact 14th July 1987, so all most 22 years.

Now i feel old...