Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Cache Rating system

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default Cache Rating system

    I came across this somewhere else and thought it was a great way of offering people the chance to rate caches. It's a Greasemonkey script so will only work for Firefox users but it's better than what is on offer from Groundspeak (i.e. Nothing )

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    99

    Default

    this looks really rather useful! I notice that none of the caches local to me have been rated yet... Do we need to encourage everyone to use it?!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    I came across that recently and then forgot about it - thanks for the reminder, Peter!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gerrie View Post
    this looks really rather useful! I notice that none of the caches local to me have been rated yet... Do we need to encourage everyone to use it?!
    To my mind the more publicity this gets, the more useful it will become.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    To my mind the more publicity this gets, the more useful it will become.
    Agreed!

    Aaaggh - I supppse I've got to wade back through all my finds and rate them now...

    At least I'm a slow cacher, lol...!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chippenham, Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    This is a nice easy system and seems to work well. It appears to allow the owner to rate their own caches but apart from that I like it.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Well, I've rated all my finds now (I think), and it was much quicker than I'd expected - if you choose to see the list of all your finds there's a rating box beside each one, so you can just work down the page. I'd expected to have to go to each cache individually.

    My only complaint about this script is that the ratings at the top of cache pages are slow to appear (for me, anyway), and I think many people might miss them by scrolling down before they appear.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  8. #8
    molfrew-mosstoad Guest

    Default

    Finally finished rating all my caches now, with the exceptions of the ones I cant remember , I was surprised how many have been archived its frightening especially the further back down the list I went. So many of them were good caches aswell

  9. #9
    uktim Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    I came across this somewhere else and thought it was a great way of offering people the chance to rate caches. It's a Greasemonkey script so will only work for Firefox users but it's better than what is on offer from Groundspeak (i.e. Nothing )
    I trust you haven't been voting for your own caches

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uktim View Post
    Originally Posted by The Hornet
    I came across this somewhere else and thought it was a great way of offering people the chance to rate caches. It's a Greasemonkey script so will only work for Firefox users but it's better than what is on offer from Groundspeak (i.e. Nothing )
    I trust you haven't been voting for your own caches
    Every little counts...
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  11. #11
    uktim Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Every little counts...

    It potentially makes the ratings look a bit of a nonsense in our area at present ;(

    As far as I can see this system has no means to edit your vote if you click on the wrong rating by mistake and I wouldn't mind betting that there's no block on voting more than once for each cache. IME anonymous rating systems are open to abuse and worth very little ;(

    What we really need is a system where folks can leave comments with their name attached......

    ah hang on....

    we already have one of those

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uktim View Post
    It potentially makes the ratings look a bit of a nonsense in our area at present ;(

    As far as I can see this system has no means to edit your vote if you click on the wrong rating by mistake and I wouldn't mind betting that there's no block on voting more than once for each cache. IME anonymous rating systems are open to abuse and worth very little ;(

    What we really need is a system where folks can leave comments with their name attached......

    ah hang on....

    we already have one of those
    I do take your point about ratings looking a bit of a nonsense if only the owner has voted for them. This system does seem to be in its infancy though, and if it takes off then that will change.

    As far as I can tell, you can vote again on the same cache, but it only changes your earlier vote(s), and doesn't give you extra votes. I've just tried it with one of my own caches (which no-one else has voted on), and whatever rating I click on, the cache rating changes to that, and the total number of votes still shows as 1.

    One way in which the system is open to abuse is that someone who's got a grudge against another cacher could vote all their caches down. But again, if the system becomes popular their votes would be a drop in the ocean.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Somerset
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Ok OK I will conform and join the ranks of Firefox users .

    After reading in various posts about Firefox & greasemonkey scripts, this one finally got my attention and I have decided to give it ago. I quite like the new (for me anyway) browser and I found the cache rating system easy and suprisingly quick to use. I also found as Bill D mentioned in his post above you can change your rating but you still only get the one vote. No slowness in the ratings apearing for me at the moment, I will see what happens when things get more busy.

    Now to look for other useful scripts etc.



    Al (It's got to be here somewhere!) Smith

    .....When you want to test the depths of a stream, don't use both feet. - Chinese Proverb

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al & Tracy Smith View Post
    No slowness in the ratings apearing for me at the moment
    Ah, it must be my steam-powered computer and carrier pigeon internet connection then!

    This Google search will point you in the direction of a lot of caching scripts for Greasemonkey.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  15. #15
    uktim Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    I do take your point about ratings looking a bit of a nonsense if only the owner has voted for them. This system does seem to be in its infancy though, and if it takes off then that will change.

    As far as I can tell, you can vote again on the same cache, but it only changes your earlier vote(s), and doesn't give you extra votes. I've just tried it with one of my own caches (which no-one else has voted on), and whatever rating I click on, the cache rating changes to that, and the total number of votes still shows as 1.
    I wonder how it works out who you are?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •